or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MC General Chat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MC General Chat - Page 87

post #1291 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

You're both missing out on the opportunity to make turntable scratch noises with your clothes.

Trini and I have velcro pants for that.
post #1292 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Cool, thanks!

I'm contemplating getting a hand-knit Aran (if the one I want is already in stock; I'm too impatient to wait several months). I suspect the source I've googled up uses the traditional heavier/rougher wools. I figure that with a T-shirt or the similar underneath, it should be fine. It looks heavy enough to wear in a hurricane, without a jacket. laugh.gif

They do a machine-made sweater too (cheaper, but a somewhat less visually interesting design). Still, will get it if the hand-knit isn't in stock, and maybe order the hand-knit at a later date.

If you're looking at sources in Galway or the Aran Islands themselves (O'Maille or Aran Sweater Market as examples), you're getting the authentic rough wool, not softer fashiony stuff. The Machine knits are indeed not as nice, but they're also much less dense, which means they don't wear anywhere near as hot, which IMO makes them more versatile. I handled the hand knits on a trip to Ireland, and decided to go with the machine instead. While the hand knits were far higher quality, your impression that you could wear one in a hurricane without a jacket isn't far off. That is what they were designed for, after all.
post #1293 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Cool, thanks!

I'm contemplating getting a hand-knit Aran (if the one I want is already in stock; I'm too impatient to wait several months). I suspect the source I've googled up uses the traditional heavier/rougher wools. I figure that with a T-shirt or the similar underneath, it should be fine. It looks heavy enough to wear in a hurricane, without a jacket. laugh.gif

They do a machine-made sweater too (cheaper, but a somewhat less visually interesting design). Still, will get it if the hand-knit isn't in stock, and maybe order the hand-knit at a later date.

If you're looking at sources in Galway or the Aran Islands themselves (O'Maille or Aran Sweater Market as examples), you're getting the authentic rough wool, not softer fashiony stuff. The Machine knits are indeed not as nice, but they're also much less dense, which means they don't wear anywhere near as hot, which IMO makes them more versatile. I handled the hand knits on a trip to Ireland, and decided to go with the machine instead. While the hand knits were far higher quality, your impression that you could wear one in a hurricane without a jacket isn't far off. That is what they were designed for, after all.

 

True enough!

 

I'm looking at Aran Sweater Market, so your hands-on experience with similar products is invaluable. Thank you.

post #1294 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

True enough!

I'm looking at Aran Sweater Market, so your hands-on experience with similar products is invaluable. Thank you.

I've been to their physical store on Inis Mor- I have hands on experience with the exact stuff you're looking at. Many of those hand knits may very well be bulletproof, and they have walls stacked floor to ceiling with the hand knit sweaters in various clan designs. Tables stacked high with every design of heavy wool sweater, most in traditional aran patterns, others plainer. A little museum to the sweaters upstairs. Great store.

The stuff O'Maille stocks is even better, but at 3 times the price. They'll tell you that their mission is to find the absolute best and make sure that they have a market, and they also make an effort to find and train new weavers. The woman who runs the shop showed me a sweater where the ribbing at the bottom was made up of tiny little cable knits. It was, in her words, "just showing off", and when she told us that that weaver was one of the best ever, it was very easy to believe. The price tag on that one was north of 300 euros, but it was the pinnacle of its art.

If you visit the Aran Islands, you really will see little old ladies sitting around in the shops and cafes chatting and knitting. If you're making a trip to Ireland, the west coast is really worth some time.
post #1295 of 2002

Wonderful advice; thank you so much.

post #1296 of 2002
Indeed, thank you cptjeff.
post #1297 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post

Zippers on knitwear are evil.

I understand the spirit of this, but love my LP Roadsters too much to agree.
post #1298 of 2002
Still searching for a black turtleneck. I went to all of the "Stockists" for the Herning stuff in NYC and their stock sucks. they have like one model of the lamest sweater in the world. I'd really like to try one on as I haven't worn a sweater in probably almost 10 years. Not sure what size I would be.
post #1299 of 2002
Thread Starter 
How do you go without a sweater in NYC?
post #1300 of 2002
Easy, wear suits every day. On the sub 30's days wear an overcoat.
post #1301 of 2002
Inquiring minds want to know...

I guess it's easier if you wear suits everywhere except to bed (don't want to mess up to trouser creases...).
post #1302 of 2002
I have a sleep suit. A wet suit for the shower.
post #1303 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

I understand the spirit of this, but love my LP Roadsters too much to agree.

JFK disagrees with me too :-)
post #1304 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Still searching for a black turtleneck. I went to all of the "Stockists" for the Herning stuff in NYC and their stock sucks. they have like one model of the lamest sweater in the world. I'd really like to try one on as I haven't worn a sweater in probably almost 10 years. Not sure what size I would be.

 

Not sure why you'd go SNS for your only rollneck sweater - seems so, well, at odds with the stuff you seem to wear...  Especially in black... 

 

Why not a simple black or charcoal cashmere or merino rollneck?

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #1305 of 2002
Yeah, no way Greg doesn't have something you need.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MC General Chat