or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Trans Mod Dim Sum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trans Mod Dim Sum - Page 13

post #181 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

interestingly, I've never had peking duck in hkg... when ordering poultry, I almost always end up ordering roast goose. yum.
I usually end up having somebody order for me in HK. Such is life
post #182 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post

I usually end up having somebody order for me in HK. Such is life

when they order the roast goose instead of the peking duck, that just means they're scrimping on you biggrin.gif

but my plebeian taste just loves roast goose more.
post #183 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

when they order the roast goose instead of the peking duck, that just means they're scrimping on you biggrin.gif
but my plebeian taste just loves roast goose more.


Actually when it comes to Chinese food I don't really like the extremely expensive stuff and people feel obligated to order it for me, now they 've learned but I used to have to eat sharkfin and birds nest and abalone every time I was in asia, every day. Actually the abalone I liked but the other stuff less.
post #184 of 194
^ let's have beef brisket noodle and tsingtao at kau kee in central next time we meet there.
post #185 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

^ let's have beef brisket noodle and tsingtao at kau kee in central next time we meet there.

Oh yeah!
post #186 of 194
So a couple of us went to this place in Daly City yesterday. It was huge--floorspace of a commercial airline hanger--and packed and everyone was Chinese except me. half the waiters spoke no English. They would bring plates and you couldn't understand their descriptions (when they even offered one) but it was all totally delicious. There were a zillion plates, I completely lost track. We had no idea what the bill was going to be, I mean it could have been anything. Worked out to about $25 per person, which was astounding considering the quantity and quality.
post #187 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

^ let's have beef brisket noodle and tsingtao at kau kee in central next time we meet there.

Fuuuuuuu. Could go for some niu rou mian right now
post #188 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

So a couple of us went to this place in Daly City yesterday. It was huge--floorspace of a commercial airline hanger--and packed and everyone was Chinese except me. half the waiters spoke no English. They would bring plates and you couldn't understand their descriptions (when they even offered one) but it was all totally delicious. There were a zillion plates, I completely lost track. We had no idea what the bill was going to be, I mean it could have been anything. Worked out to about $25 per person, which was astounding considering the quantity and quality.

does daly city have a large chinese population? always thought it was more of a filipino town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Fuuuuuuu. Could go for some niu rou mian right now

that. and some crispy fried wontons on the side.
post #189 of 194
All sorts of detritus washes up on its shores
post #190 of 194
^ by the way, some of the best dim sum I ever had was in Panag, fantastic malay chinese dim sum.
post #191 of 194
I was considering going to U Toronto for Grad school. LA Guy's list of recommended Chinese food might push it over the top. I wonder if I can get the list if I go there.
post #192 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluks917 View Post

I was considering going to U Toronto for Grad school. LA Guy's list of recommended Chinese food might push it over the top. I wonder if I can get the list if I go there.

I could get my brother and sister-in-law (Toronto born and bred Taiwanese-Canadian) to give some good recommendations. Most of the stuff is well away from the city center, though there are some decent places there. Really, the best food is in restaurants surrounding those huge, Chinese, cash only, malls, north of Toronto proper. If there is one thing that Chinese like to do as much as eating, it's shopping. There is also a snack stand on ever "block" of those malls, just in case you get hungry walking between "stores" selling fake Affliction tees.

Really though, just ask any Cantonese person who doesn't live in Chinatown (so, the more affluent Chinese) and they will be able to tell you half a dozen of their favorite places. Everyone will have a different list; and usually, unless it's a very slow Chinese person, most of the recommendations will be at least quite passable.
post #193 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

So a couple of us went to this place in Daly City yesterday. It was huge--floorspace of a commercial airline hanger--and packed and everyone was Chinese except me. half the waiters spoke no English. They would bring plates and you couldn't understand their descriptions (when they even offered one) but it was all totally delicious. There were a zillion plates, I completely lost track. We had no idea what the bill was going to be, I mean it could have been anything. Worked out to about $25 per person, which was astounding considering the quantity and quality.

Chinese people will refuse to eat sub-standard food at high prices. So, if you are at a place that is jam packed with Chinese, (usually there will be a wait, no matter how gigantic the place is), you are probably going to stuff your face with 10K delicious calories for about the price of a cheaper entree at any non-Chinese restaurant. There is one decent place in Boston. Ugh. I forget the name. If I can remember it, I'll write it here, but it's pretty popular, and quite passable.
post #194 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Anyone have a great duck reco in HK?
Spring Deer is the one people say to go to, and it was fine, but I don't know if it was revelatory.

There are branches of Quanjude in HK. I thought the duck at the one in Wanchai was about the same as Spring Deer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Trans Mod Dim Sum