or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Kosher Chinese Food Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Kosher Chinese Food Thread - Page 4

post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Can someone give me the rationale as to why wine must be made only by Jews to be kosher? Given it is basically fruit, if nothing traif gets added, I really have no understanding about this.
A short answer in case no one has time (it is friday) for a long answer. Two reasons: fear that it might be made with idolatorus sacramental use in mind and a way of creating separation to avoid wanton merriment with gentiles. Mostly the former.

My god. This is as bad as the President of CFA! Thanks for the quick answer though. I really did not have any idea.
post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Can someone give me the rationale as to why wine must be made only by Jews to be kosher? Given it is basically fruit, if nothing traif gets added, I really have no understanding about this.

on the books - you can't drink wine that has been consecrated to a pagan god, which is understood to be used in any relgious ceromony.

I'll tell you my take on this - it keeps people from becoming too friendly. you can't intermarry if you can't drink each other's wine
post #48 of 75
Thanks for the responses. Must a restaurant that claims to be kosher have a rabbi on staff supervising food preparation?
post #49 of 75
fucking blondie and devo are having a concert in Chicago on yom kippur. I might not be very religious, but I don't think I can pull that one off.
post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Actually, I am studying the New Testament now, and you are welcome to join me. I may try the daf next cycle. I wouldn't mind a b'iyun class, though.

i would love to have a chavrusah shaft with you. we should make that happen. finishing shas biyun would be quite the accomplishment.
post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Thanks for the responses. Must a restaurant that claims to be kosher have a rabbi on staff supervising food preparation?

As dopey and Stitches might have been timed out by the sun going down I'll attempt an answer. They can have a rabbi or they can have a mashgiach that works under a rabbi's hechsher. A mashgiach is a person trained in the ways of kashrut, the Jewish dietary laws. I always think of the rabbi as a doctor and the mashgiach as a nurse practitioner. laugh.gif
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

My god. This is as bad as the President of CFA! Thanks for the quick answer though. I really did not have any idea.

lol. +1 to dopey btw. also, it is a rabbinic decree, not a torah prohibition.
post #53 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post

on the books - you can't drink wine that has been consecrated to a pagan god, which is understood to be used in any relgious ceromony.
I'll tell you my take on this - it keeps people from becoming too friendly. you can't intermarry if you can't drink each other's wine

not only is it your take, it is in fact an explicitly stated reason behind the decree. you are sage GT, a sage indeed.
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Thanks for the responses. Must a restaurant that claims to be kosher have a rabbi on staff supervising food preparation?

yes, either on staff, or with the ability to walk in at any given moment. but generally on staff.
post #55 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post

fucking blondie and devo are having a concert in Chicago on yom kippur. I might not be very religious, but I don't think I can pull that one off.

i am glad to hear that. that would be a bit OTT, even for you and your tisha bav practices. no judgement. just messin. wink.gif
post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Thanks for the responses. Must a restaurant that claims to be kosher have a rabbi on staff supervising food preparation?

yes, either on staff, or with the ability to walk in at any given moment. but generally on staff.

Can't a mashgiach do it? confused.gif
post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

As dopey and Stitches might have been timed out by the sun going down I'll attempt an answer. They can have a rabbi or they can have a mashgiach that works under a rabbi's hechsher. A mashgiach is a person trained in the ways of kashrut, the Jewish dietary laws. I always think of the rabbi as a doctor and the mashgiach as a nurse practitioner. laugh.gif

oops, also this. a masgiach is not only fine, it is more common for an eatery to use a misgiach that is under the auspices of a rabbi. most rabbis do not have time to do it, as it is essentially a full time job being a rabbi, at least a pulpit rabbi.

im out ya'll. piob, its all you for about 25 hours. good luck. smile.gif
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Can't a mashgiach do it? confused.gif

see above. smile.gif
post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

As dopey and Stitches might have been timed out by the sun going down I'll attempt an answer. They can have a rabbi or they can have a mashgiach that works under a rabbi's hechsher. A mashgiach is a person trained in the ways of kashrut, the Jewish dietary laws. I always think of the rabbi as a doctor and the mashgiach as a nurse practitioner. laugh.gif

ok, so years ago I took a course with a bunch of people who ran small factories in israel . one of the guys was the owner of a meat factory. one day we each talked about the problems that we had that were specific to us.

so he told a story " I have to get my meat inside city limits by 8 before trafic starts, so I need to load the trucks by 7. we start killing at 3, 12 slaugherers and 12 mashgicheem. then, every few minutes a mashgiach tells his slaughterer to stop because the knife is too dull, so I go over and give them each 50 sheckels, and they start again. this goes on for hours, until each team gets a few 50 sheckel notes"
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i am glad to hear that. that would be a bit OTT, even for you and your tisha bav practices. no judgement. just messin. wink.gif

I would go if I didn't hate Devo so much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Kosher Chinese Food Thread