Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAlpha Industries M-65 Field Coat- Black Xlargetagged by SYSTEM, 8/2/12
- itemApolis Standard Issue Field Jackettagged by SYSTEM, 8/2/12
- itemBarbour International Trials Waxed Jacket - Blacktagged by SYSTEM, 8/2/12
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 8/2/12
- topicJ Crewtagged by SYSTEM, 8/2/12
- itemJ. Crew Fatigue Jackettagged by SYSTEM, 8/2/12
Related Forum Threads
- Ryan Gosling's herringbone coat/jacket Last post on 1/16/13 at 10:07am in Streetwear and Denim
- Band of Outsiders, Wings + Horns, Nudie, J.Crew 484, APC, NDC - 27/06!! Last post on 7/4/11 at 8:08pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Tops/Jackets/Pants/Shoes: Yuketen, J Crew, RL, Uniqlo, Gant, etc. (S/M) (More Drops) Last post on 6/9/11 at 2:32pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- 6/11 drops: rl margiela dior homme geller lim gucci schneider lova marc jacobs jcrew Last post on 6/11/11 at 2:41am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- FINAL DROPS▐M/34/11:Levi's→BR Leather Jacket→Timberland Abington Chukka→J. Crew Last post on 6/1/11 at 9:42am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn OuterwearLast edited: 9/8/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Field jacket trilemma - Page 4
Poll Results: Other things being equal, what is best?
32 Total Votespost #47 of 608/5/12 at 3:27pmThread Starterpost #48 of 608/5/12 at 4:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by cardguy
12% (4)(1) Issued, well-worn army surplus jacket.
31% (10)(2) Unissued, authentic army jacket / repro of past uniform.
56% (18)(3) Civilian jacket inspired by army design, with artificial 'worn in' effect.
Came across these on eBay - would they fit the bill? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camouflage-Military-M-65-Field-Coat-Army-M65-Jacket-/260561604563#ht_3368wt_908
I've seen those here. I don't think they're very good. The zips and poppers on the ones I've seen felt very flimsy and poor quality, probably wouldn't last five minutes. Various items of cheap Chinese "US Army" repro type garments seem to be very popular at the moment, often with "Airborne" eagle patches on the sleeves.post #49 of 603/11/13 at 4:44amI was lucky enough to find a surplus Soviet desert uniform in my size (I'm 6.3). It was sewn in 1987, never worn, and is in great condition.
The coat is a generic field jacket.
The cotton is heavy twill.
Color is khaki, from soldiers' experiences, tends to fade under the sun.
How "nice" it is?
Would it be possible to wear one instead of the "Aspesi" kinds of reproductions?
Is it two ply or single ply cotton?
I can proxy them in some sizes.post #50 of 603/19/13 at 7:00ampost #51 of 603/19/13 at 9:19amA lot will depend on how it fits. The Aspesi is likely to be more fitted than real surplus gear. Most military surplus is oversized and thus loses a lot of style points. Design and colour-wise it seems nice but very basic, missing some of the detailng you find on the niche designer models. If you don't care about these and you are happy wit hthe fit - it should be fine.post #52 of 603/19/13 at 10:55amQuote:Originally Posted by bertie
A lot will depend on how it fits. The Aspesi is likely to be more fitted than real surplus gear. Most military surplus is oversized and thus loses a lot of style points. Design and colour-wise it seems nice but very basic, missing some of the detailng you find on the niche designer models. If you don't care about these and you are happy wit hthe fit - it should be fine.
Thank you very much, kind sir. The jacket fits quite snug, not restraining though. See how it goes with casual wear!post #53 of 603/19/13 at 12:13pmpost #54 of 603/19/13 at 8:24pmpost #55 of 603/19/13 at 9:17pmpost #56 of 603/19/13 at 10:39pmpost #57 of 603/20/13 at 1:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by comrade
This man is actually wearing a Field Jacket in the "Field".
Not running errands on the weekend.
I think if you look carefully you wil note he is holding a bag with milk and a loaf of bread so he may well be in the "field" but he is still running errands. Can't say the same for menacing fellow standing beside him (who looks over-dressed relative to the casual looks on everyone else)post #58 of 603/21/13 at 10:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by bertie
I think if you look carefully you wil note he is holding a bag with milk and a loaf of bread so he may well be in the "field" but he is still running errands. Can't say the same for menacing fellow standing beside him (who looks over-dressed relative to the casual looks on everyone else)
Surely you jest, Kamarad. In addition to the milch and brot, the errand included rescuing Il Duce-
the menacing fellow who is overdressed. Needless to say, as an Italian in a difficult situation
he is entitled to his Sprezzatura. A year and a half later he was hanging out in Milan:
Edited by comrade - 3/22/13 at 8:56ampost #59 of 604/25/16 at 4:03am
here's a thing now.... I looked into buying one of these M65 jackets from Alpha industries, and I was able to try one on rather than ordering online- prices currently range from £99 to £125 online. The fabric was exactly as I remembered it, but the quality of the fastenings was utter rubbish. press studs had a sharp edged back plate, and on three of the jackets that were on the shops racks press studs had ripped out completely, or come apart. This not from wear, but from customers trying them on and opening a pocket. No thanks.
Alpha makes no claim of 'made in America' on these, so probably cheap chinese out-sourcing.
I'm currently looking for a used ex-service jacket in good condition.post #60 of 604/25/16 at 6:46am
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Outerwear
- › Common Projects Nubuck Tan / Beige Bball High-Top Sneakers US 10 EU... 24 seconds ago
- › Common Projects Nubuck Tan Beige Blue Bball High-Top Sneakers US 10... 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 7 minutes ago
- › KENT WANG MTM GRAY NAILHEAD SUIT (GUABELLO WOOL) - FITS SLIM 36 7 minutes ago
- › Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects. 7 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 9 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...