or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN - Peacock Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WAYWRN - Peacock Edition - Page 13

post #181 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post
 
not sure i agree with this part though.

 

 

What I mean is that you have to already know how to dress well according to conventional style rules. I know that any one of TTO, Tirailleur, Butler, Barims and a few others here, could, for example pull off perfect CBD if they chose to. I am not sure that many of those who do perfect CBD or other more conventional SF-approved male style here could do what these four do as well. I think it is unusual to find a genuine peacock in the MC idiom who has just evolved their look(s) without first at least understanding, if not mastering, what makes conventional male style work. Peacocking (or for that matter, the particular extremes of the spectrum in dandyism or foppishness) requires a justified self-confidence.

 

FWIW, and no offence to Spoo here because he dresses far better then me, I think Spoo is actually only just getting to the full understanding and mastery level now. I don't think his previous more flashy style worked all that well, despite some nice components. However, if he was to give in to his peacock instincts again now or later, he would do it a whole lot better. Whether he would want to or not is another question - it would be entirely a matter of personal comfort and he seems pretty darn comfortable where he is (i.e. getting to the top of the game). Sometimes knowing that you could is more than enough.

 

As for most of what else has been posted so far - see Moo's old fits here for a prime example - I would class it merely as garish or bad taste, not peacock, or it is actually too boring and unadventurous.  

post #182 of 1346
Thread Starter 
The genuine peacock couldn't do CBD unless he went out and bought a bunch of stuff.
post #183 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

The genuine peacock couldn't do CBD unless he went out and bought a bunch of stuff.

 

You miss my point.

post #184 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post


What I mean is that you have to already know how to dress well according to conventional style rules. I know that any one of TTO, Tirailleur, Butler, Barims and a few others here, could, for example pull off perfect CBD if they chose to. I am not sure that many of those who do perfect CBD or other more conventional SF-approved male style here could do what these four do as well. I think it is unusual to find a genuine peacock in the MC idiom who has just evolved their look(s) without first at least understanding, if not mastering, what makes conventional male style work. Peacocking (or for that matter, the particular extremes of the spectrum in dandyism or foppishness) requires a justified self-confidence.

FWIW, and no offence to Spoo here because he dresses far better then me, I think Spoo is actually only just getting to the full understanding and mastery level now. I don't think his previous more flashy style worked all that well, despite some nice components. However, if he was to give in to his peacock instincts again now or later, he would do it a whole lot better. Whether he would want to or not is another question - it would be entirely a matter of personal comfort and he seems pretty darn comfortable where he is (i.e. getting to the top of the game). Sometimes knowing that you could is more than enough.

As for most of what else has been posted so far - see Moo's old fits here for a prime example - I would class it merely as garish or bad taste, not peacock, or it is actually too boring and unadventurous.  

great points here. fairly certain i agree 100%. rudimental knowledge in "rules' (fit, fabrics, patterns, etc) are a must before you can pull off flashier stuff. an ill fitting suit and a brightly colored tie are just that...an ill fitting suit and a bright tie.
post #185 of 1346
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

You miss my point.

Nah, I got your point [and agree]. Then I made one smile.gif
post #186 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post


What I mean is that you have to already know how to dress well according to conventional style rules. I know that any one of TTO, Tirailleur, Butler, Barims and a few others here, could, for example pull off perfect CBD if they chose to. I am not sure that many of those who do perfect CBD or other more conventional SF-approved male style here could do what these four do as well. I think it is unusual to find a genuine peacock in the MC idiom who has just evolved their look(s) without first at least understanding, if not mastering, what makes conventional male style work. Peacocking (or for that matter, the particular extremes of the spectrum in dandyism or foppishness) requires a justified self-confidence.


i understand what you are saying, im just not sure i agree.

truly correct CBD is also very nuanced, and very exacting. and very different than peacockery. i am sure that if the master peacocks endeavored to make CBD work, they could. but i would not assume that the crossover would be seamless from the get go, or that they have already mastered CBD.
post #187 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Tirailleur1 and TTO gets the peacock vote. Stitchy, not so much. Dig, your green pants do, not really the rest.

i%27ll+be+back.gif
post #188 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i understand what you are saying, im just not sure i agree.
truly correct CBD is also very nuanced, and very exacting. and very different than peacockery. i am sure that if the master peacocks endeavored to make CBD work, they could. but i would not assume that the crossover would be seamless from the get go, or that they have already mastered CBD.

I think part of the difference is, if you are a bit off on CBD, it just looks like you had to wear a suit and tie to work, and maybe you don't really care that much about how you look or don't have a natural inclination towards these sorts of things, but you are just wearing what the situation requires of you. And if the fit of your suit is a little bit off or your tie isn't totally correct or you're wearing a white shirt in a non-Manton-approved fashion, you still pretty much blend in with all the other guys in suits and it doesn't matter too much.

If you're peacocking and things are a bit off, it's more of a disaster. You've set it up so that you're not blending in, and attention is being drawn to your clothes. And it's clear (despite what others might say about sprezz or whatever) that you've selected your items purposefully, because you think they look good. Lastly, you're operating within less of a traditional aesthetic, and the lack of "rules" means that there are more ways for you to go horribly wrong. So when you fail, you fail hard, and very publicly.
post #189 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

I think part of the difference is, is you are a bit off on CBD, it just looks like you had to wear a suit and tie to work, and maybe you don't really care that much about how you look or don't have a natural inclination towards these sorts of things, but you are just wearing what the situation requires of you. And if the fit of your suit is a little bit off or your tie isn't totally correct or you're wearing a white shirt in a non-Manton-approved fashion, you still pretty much blend in with all the other guys in suits and it doesn't matter too much.
If you're peacocking and things are a bit off, it's more of a disaster. You've set it up so that you're not blending in, and attention is being drawn to your clothes. And it's clear (despite what others might say about sprezz or whatever) that you've selected your items purposefully, because you think they look good. Lastly, you're operating within less of a traditional aesthetic, and the lack of "rules" means that there are more ways for you to go horribly wrong. So when you fail, you fail hard, and very publicly.

in the bold, i hope you meant "if" not "is" frown.gif

yeah i hear all that, and i dont disagree with any of it. all i was saying was, that just because someone is expert at peacockery, does not necessarily mean they would excel at CBD. and that perfection in one, in not necessarily any easier than perfection in the other.
post #190 of 1346

Thanks for the compliments guys.

is cultural peacocking permitted?

 

 

458748

post #191 of 1346
Winrar_sphere1.jpg
post #192 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Tirailleur1 and TTO gets the peacock vote. Stitchy, not so much. Dig, your green pants do, not really the rest.

 

Yup, agreed with all of these.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post
 
not sure i agree with this part though.

 

 

What I mean is that you have to already know how to dress well according to conventional style rules. I know that any one of TTO, Tirailleur, Butler, Barims and a few others here, could, for example pull off perfect CBD if they chose to. I am not sure that many of those who do perfect CBD or other more conventional SF-approved male style here could do what these four do as well. I think it is unusual to find a genuine peacock in the MC idiom who has just evolved their look(s) without first at least understanding, if not mastering, what makes conventional male style work. Peacocking (or for that matter, the particular extremes of the spectrum in dandyism or foppishness) requires a justified self-confidence.


... As for most of what else has been posted so far - see Moo's old fits here for a prime example - I would class it merely as garish or bad taste, not peacock, or it is actually too boring and unadventurous.  

 

I agree 100%.

 

The four guys you mentioned know how to stretch the idioms to breaking point and beyond, but understand the language they're abusing. That's why their flamboyant outfits work so well. The differences between their fits and some of the others really comes across strongly. For this thread to have legs (as well as simply to be interesting to view) these are exactly the kind of photos it needs. I liked some of Nii's stuff too, and both Ed and Ich Dien posted great looks that qualify as peacock IMO. A few of Spoo's outfits worked for me too (I mentioned which earlier on).

 

I personally can't do it consistently right yet, but I enjoy seeing this kind of look so much that I won't stop trying to learn on the days I'm not doing anything that would make it inappropriate. But more importantly, I think the concept of a truly flamboyant outfit that still works is one with considerable integrity (and deserving of forum mindshare); simply praising any old loud outfit misses the point of the look and will make this thread a waste of time to read. It is theoretically by far the hardest look to pull off without looking dreadful; there's no middle-ground/safety-net of an "ok" look here.

post #193 of 1346
It's revealing, I think, that the success rate of peacockery is significantly higher in this thread than in the regular WAYW. Many of the folks here, as FM and HF suggest, appear to have put their minds to it, forming a cohesive look rather than just throwing loud stuff together.
post #194 of 1346
*slightly* peacockish from the archive...

pea1.jpg
pea2.jpg
post #195 of 1346
Two things I have to admit.

1) these looks aren't as repellant as I had feared. In fact,
2) I'm wildly covetous of a few items and/or looks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN - Peacock Edition