or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN - Peacock Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WAYWRN - Peacock Edition - Page 77

post #1141 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

id be curious as to what shirt/tie combo youd suggest. Everything ive tried to pair with it makes it FAR too busy and the items compete too much....thoughts?

Well, the classical ideal of being well dressed involves colors, patterns and textures that complement and contrast each other. Think of it as a conversation.

I know Isaia lookbooks have a rep for being over-the-top, but it depends on who's styling them. For ex, check the last picture from the F/W 2012:



See how the shirt and tie relate to the purples and browns in the suit, even though the shirt has a blue ground. See how much more lively and interesting it is than a solid white shirt a white square and navy tie would be. There is a conversation, but it's not loud at all.
post #1142 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack11211 View Post

Well, the classical ideal of being well dressed involves colors, patterns and textures that complement and contrast each other. Think of it as a conversation.

I know Isaia lookbooks have a rep for being over-the-top, but it depends on who's styling them. For ex, check the last picture from the F/W 2012:



See how the shirt and tie relate to the purples and browns in the suit, even though the shirt has a blue ground. See how much more lively and interesting it is than a solid white shirt a white square and navy tie would be. There is a conversation, but it's not loud at all.

while i like the square and tie, i personally dont like the shirt with that. I guess ill just let this soot wear me while i stick with a solid color shirt.

Thanks for the input!
post #1143 of 1346
Here are a couple of recent attempts from Phineas Cole....mortals beware:




post #1144 of 1346
Love the double breasted waistcoats (vests)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

Here are a couple of recent attempts from Phineas Cole....mortals beware:




post #1145 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

Everything ive tried to pair with it makes it FAR too busy and the items compete too much....

what does that tell you?
post #1146 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

what does that tell you?

tells me to pair the soot with a solid shirt and tie. duh. wink.gif
post #1147 of 1346
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

Here are a couple of recent attempts from Phineas Cole....mortals beware:





drool.gif
post #1148 of 1346
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

....mortals beware:

drool.gif
post #1149 of 1346
The horizontal cut of the vests isn't particularly flattering...
post #1150 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

The horizontal cut of the vests isn't particularly flattering...

It's a not unusual classic style with double breasted vests, just rarely seen in RTW. I think I have a tweed one from Polo.

In the 'sixties, they also made knit vests this way. I have a couple of those as well.

If you search 'vest style' on A Suitable Wardrobe, you will find some like this, and some not.
post #1151 of 1346
I wasn't really questioning the correctness or historical basis, just how it looks.
post #1152 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

The horizontal cut of the vests isn't particularly flattering...



IMO the horizontal cut is the only way to go with double breasted vest
post #1153 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirailleur1 View Post

IMO the horizontal cut is the only way to go with double breasted vest

I agree. I recently had one made in a cream/buff lambswool. My tailor originally made it with two points at the bottom, but I had her re-cut it with a flat hem. The points just didn't work for me.
post #1154 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

If its too loud, youre too old.



Isaia soot, charvet shirt and tie, Lobb Towcesters.

worship.gif

That is amazing. Does it have purple or burgundy in the soot? I would try a burgundy/maroon tie with it.
post #1155 of 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirailleur1 View Post

IMO the horizontal cut is the only way to go with double breasted vest

I concooor....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN - Peacock Edition