Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Going to a wedding: Need help picking outfit! Last post on 8/10/11 at 11:35am in Classic Menswear
- What does "Cocktail Attire" mean? Last post on 3/22/13 at 4:47pm in Classic Menswear
- ISAIA NAPOLI - SUPER HUGE MEGATHREAD - Suits, Sport Coats, Jackets, Pants, Ties, Hangers &... Last post on 11/13/13 at 7:07am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed - Page 43post #631 of 64111/5/13 at 8:06am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #632 of 64111/8/13 at 11:38am
Wow, I've been working hard on my wardrobe, but I didn't consider myself "advanced" just yet! Not bad for an 29-yr-old on an entry-level budget (if I do say so myself :).
-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold - Three. One sack cut BB, One super 150s Hart Shaf Marx, One linen lighter blue.
-mid gray flannel pants - I have four different pairs of wool trousers in different shades, but none flannel, although I've been looking.
-decent, non-chino khakis - I have khaki dress trousers and Orvis donegal wool trousers w/ leather pockets. Not sure which counts.
-at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket - Yes! I have three.
-a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit - Dark grey with a faint pinstripe.
-a navy worsted single breasted suit - Yes, but hoping to replace it with a better quality one.
-a white FC shirt - I have two, one spread, one point collar. Also four white BC shirts.
-several blue BC shirts, at least one BD - One classic blue OCBD, one fine dress BD, one point collar BC.
-black stitch caps. - Check, (Bostonian) but hoping to replace within a couple years.
-some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you) A beautiful pair of Magnanni cap-toe like these.
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell. Not shell, but nice penny and tassel loafers (JM and AE)
-a solid black tie, knit or grenadine - missing this piece. I don't wear my black suit often, so why would I need a solid black tie?
-a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine - solid navy, but neither grenadine nor knit. I have a solid brown knit and a solid dark green knit, though.
-a plain white linen hanky - Check.
For the "more advanced" players:
-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both). See below.
-at least one linen suit - Only a jacket (which was half a suit that I swapped the buttons on, see under "blue odd jacket").
-at least one pair of brown suede shoes - Yes!
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check - I have a formal B&W "wedding tie".
-at least one wool or cashmere tie - several
-at least one linen or linen blend tie - two
-A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes - no need yet.
-An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camel - no
- topcoat in tweed - got a nice grey herringbone.
- raincoat - SB or trench - no
- one chalkstripe suit - navy or gray; bonus points for DB - Yes! DB navy chalk-strip flannel.
How did I score?post #633 of 64111/8/13 at 11:47amWow, I'm well dressed in accordance with Michael's list, with most of the advanced column checked off and also the optionals.
My personal well dressed list includes formal slippers, formal wear and good lounge wear for around the house. Nothing more disappointing that a well dressed person who rents a tux or wears old sweats and fuzzy socks around the house.post #634 of 64111/8/13 at 1:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Wow, I'm well dressed in accordance with Michael's list, with most of the advanced column checked off and also the optionals.
My personal well dressed list includes formal slippers, formal wear and good lounge wear for around the house. Nothing more disappointing that a well dressed person who rents a tux or wears old sweats and fuzzy socks around the house.
What is your around-the-house uniform?post #635 of 64111/8/13 at 7:04pm-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold
-mid gray flannel pants
-decent, non-chino khakis
-at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket
-a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit
-a navy worsted single breasted suit two actually one for each season
-a white FC shirt (only as a tux shirt)
-several blue BC shirts, at least one BD
-black stitch caps (black punch cap instead)
-some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you)
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell (loafers don't fit me well - I have a side gusset wholecut in kudu for this role)
-a solid black tie, knit or grenadine
-a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine
-a plain white linen hanky
For the "more advanced" players:
-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both) (both)
-at least one linen suit
-at least one pair of brown suede shoes
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check (sort of, in cashmere)
-at least one wool or cashmere tie
-at least one linen or linen blend tie
-A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes
-An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camelpost #636 of 64111/8/13 at 8:02pmpost #637 of 64111/11/13 at 6:54ampost #638 of 64111/11/13 at 10:07am
I am as well, although if I could figure out something that was comfortable enough but still looked fabulous if someone dropped by, I would adopt it.
Currently it's cords, a t-shirt with a sweater or fleece and slippers.post #639 of 64111/11/13 at 10:43ampost #640 of 64111/11/13 at 10:46ampost #641 of 64111/15/13 at 12:30pm
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Post your photography skills! (self-gloss) 8 seconds ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 21 seconds ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 26 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 32 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 34 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 100% Cashmere Navy J Crew Ludlow Sportcoat 40S 2 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition 2 minutes ago
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers) by alyssaw