or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed - Page 21

post #301 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I think the chukka/suit thing is highly dependent on the shape of the last.

I agree. I wouldn't wear a suit with my Alden chukka's. Well, maybe if I had an old shabby linen suit, without tie. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

too dark, nobd. I'd reserve that shirt for light suits.

Makes sense, Manton. I liked this as an experiment. I might wear it again to the opening of a an art exhibition, or something like that. After this time, I've only worn lighter shirts with it. (It's an old pic.) Can you "handle" chukka's with a suit?

icvQU.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

this may just be my opinion, but i think NOBD has carved a particular style for himself, and sticks to it, and he is able to look good doing things that may not technically be ok according to certain rules.

Thanks, Stitch. I like to keep it simple.
post #302 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

. . . .
I don't understand. It is one of the major streets running through our neighborhood. How on earth do you avoid it? Lots of good food. Levain Bakery, for one.
I think you are just trying to avoid me.
If I could be guaranteed of running into you at any particular moment, I am sure I would walk on Amsterdam. Would you post your schedule for this weekend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

St. John of the Divine.
That is a good reason. Also the Hungarian Pastry Shop across the street that may or may not still be there. But I haven't been that way in a long time.
post #303 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

talking about awesome loafers. these are to die for..., hands down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post

John Lobb St. James's Burgundy tassel loafers

the loafer is the type of shoe, where you can see the biggest difference from bespoke to RTW, if you can...
I prefer these EG TDs:




Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

[ Well, we'll never know what you really said, because you deleted it. I tried to resuscitate your post with all my DH might, but it was beyond my power. Perhaps if all the DHs gather in a circle and chant your name over a dead cat and burn an RJcat square with a flame lit by a Parisian gas lamp, we'll be able to bring it back from the dead.
Too many dead cats. Are you familiar with the catcopter? I believe A_Y flies one at the weekend.

But that reminds me that if you do not own a RJ cat pocket square, you are not well dressed. Yet another reason why spoo, Fuuma, lasbar and RSS are better dressed than you. Get one from Kent Wang. I get no kickback from Wang and he charges me retail, so I am doing this only to spread the gospel of the RJ cat. The feline is the message.
Quote:
Ask Dopey. He wanders around Amsterdam Avenue in a tweed suit and a pith helmet.
Are you sure that's not vox? He is missed.
Quote:
And actually, that raises a good point. What I abhor most of all is treating all this stuff as a sort of costume. Something to play dress-up in. I wear my tailored things most any time I step out of my home. At the very least, I'll have on my pents and a nice bespoke shirt.
Ah, but it is. Any time it is conscious, it is costume. I leave it to Fuuma to argue this one for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post

Mind you, young padawan, I didn't say Manolo's list was "useless and asinine" -- quite the contrary, I think it's well-chosen but presumes the wearer would actually be in situations he would wear that clothing. Owning this stuff doesn't make you well-dressed if you don't have occasion to wear it.
I may be Patient Zero for acquiring oddball items, they keep me from answering Camus' fundamental question of existence.
Here, I just made an attempt to keep all these discussions separate so let's deport our musins here, they derail the more practical thread and I would say most don't care.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/310030/philsophy-of-mc-style/0_100

Can't compete. I have a very low opinion of the product of my alma mater's philosophy department, contracted before I e-knew mafoofan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

RJ, while you're here, why don't you make yourself useful: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309955/sartorial-london-the-official-thread .

I don't fucking work for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Too substantial for a summer outfit, can also be rather overmuch for a coat without a tie.

I disagree for a medium brown wingtip...like this one:


That had better be lens distortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Did RJs post ask for a Foo vs. Spoo fit battle?
No, I said that spoo is better dressed than foo. Then some Dubiously Honored Jackass edited my post to say I was a member of the foo.gifrerjugend.
post #304 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I wish I could be that cool.

You already have the hair. Don't be greedy.
post #305 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Lots of good food. Levain Bakery, for one.

Possibly the best cookies in NYC. I lived a few blocks north of there (by the museum) for 7 years and my waistline still hasn't fully recovered.
post #306 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post

No, I said that spoo is better dressed than foo. .

nest.gif
post #307 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post

Ah, but it is. Any time it is conscious, it is costume. I leave it to Fuuma to argue this one for me.

. . . Can't compete. I have a very low opinion of the product of my alma mater's philosophy department, contracted before I e-knew mafoofan.

Maybe it was the student, not the department.

If one is to define the relationship between costume and consciousness as bluntly and absolutely as you have, neither term retains any useful meaning: everything would be costume because, naturally, everyone is always conscious of what they choose to wear to some degree or another. As such, it's an idiotic argument. If you are going to reach for a conclusion, you need to test your own premises, not assume the most convenient ones.
post #308 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Because it is not merely to be acquired. It is earned.

touche, well played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

Thanks, Stitch. I like to keep it simple.

cheers.gif
post #309 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

Can you "handle" chukka's with a suit?

Oh my, yes.

y54i4.jpg
post #310 of 643
Thank you, o/o. Got more?
post #311 of 643
I object to:

-decent, non-chino khakis
-button down blue shit
post #312 of 643
Panico Chaka Khan
post #313 of 643
^^

too much blue with the shoes, the shirt and tie are tough to see in the pic, but I'd wear everything here
post #314 of 643
Thread Starter 
yeah, swap out those blue shoes for brown suede and it's killer
post #315 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

yeah, swap out those blue shoes for brown suede chukkas and it's killer


yep
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed