or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed - Page 20

post #286 of 643
I don't get it.
post #287 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

HERETIC!

shatnez!!!
post #288 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

I have cream gabs, I like them.

I do too. Cream wool gabs, however, really must be in a heavier weight (mine are 11/12 oz.) in order to be opaque. Even then, they need at least a half lining so the pockets don't show through. All that works against their being worn comfortably when they arguably look their best, in warm/hot weather. Oh, the things we do for style. Another thing I did this year was have some cream trousers made up in a fine cotton gab; much cooler wearing and no need for lining.
post #289 of 643
Thread Starter 
Mine are lighter tnan 11 though I can't remember the weight and they are half lined, but yeah,. when it's really hot, I don't reach for them. More for spring.
post #290 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i had a lot of gabardine shabbos pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

I bet a nice pair wool/linen blend slacks would be great for Shabbos in Bawlmore.
rimshot.gif

Today at sundown, my gabardine office pants will become Shabbos pants. A miracle. And thank you both for the Ashkenazic transliteration.
post #291 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

OK, what do we replace it with, then? The black oxford is not negotiable. Since I have three shoes on the list, that leaves two slots. Or if you can think of One Shoe that does everything the black osxford does not, i am all ears. Brown bluchers are the closest thing I guess. The thing is, those are versatile, but not essential IMO.

Well, it depends a bit on what ground we're trying to cover here. If the point ismto add a shoe that's more casual, maybe business casual, and versatile, then a couple of options come to mind, my personal favorites being (1) a brown pebble grain split-toe à la Dover, (2) a simple plain toe brown/cognac monk or (3) a budapester on less-than-brute last. Maybe a pair of brown wingtip boots if we try to round up the portfolio with something useful on rainy days.
post #292 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

why is, green hermes breast wallet, not on the list?

That's over the top, baller ;D

post #293 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix View Post

Today at sundown, my gabardine office pants will become Shabbos pants. A miracle. And thank you both for the Ashkenazic transliteration.

My children lectured me on the inappropriateness of this. As a result, I change my tie. In fact, I switch to bowties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Well, we'll never know what you really said, because you deleted it. I tried to resuscitate your post with all my DH might, but it was beyond my power. Perhaps if all the DHs gather in a circle and chant your name over a dead cat and burn an RJcat square with a flame lit by a Parisian gas lamp, we'll be able to bring it back from the dead.
Of course, simply owning the things and not wearing them (or wearing them well, for that matter) is insufficient. I think we all knew that. As for occasions: well, you don't need much of one to wear an odd jacket or a suit. I do much of the time. Ask Dopey. He wanders around Amsterdam Avenue in a tweed suit and a pith helmet.
And actually, that raises a good point. What I abhor most of all is treating all this stuff as a sort of costume. Something to play dress-up in. I wear my tailored things most any time I step out of my home. At the very least, I'll have on my pents and a nice bespoke shirt.
Nothing is wrong with oddball items. But there is good oddball and bad oddball. Then there is all oddball, which is always bad oddball.
I do not have a pith helmet and I do not walk on Amsterdam Avenue.
post #294 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Well, it depends a bit on what ground we're trying to cover here. If the point ismto add a shoe that's more casual, maybe business casual, and versatile, then a couple of options come to mind, my personal favorites being (1) a brown pebble grain split-toe à la Dover, (2) a simple plain toe brown/cognac monk or (3) a budapester on less-than-brute last. Maybe a pair of brown wingtip boots if we try to round up the portfolio with something useful on rainy days.

(1) a brown pebble grain split-toe à la Dover

This, though I'd query the pebble-grain.

As a Brit, I'd argue again for the brown full-brogue, but that may not work over the pond.

When I bought them, I wasn't sure about my 1992-vintage EG-made 88-last Fosters RTW "Dovers" in plain calf - but they were too good a buy to pass up in the sale twenty years ago. As time has passed, their versatility and "classicness" has grown on me.
post #295 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't get it.

dont get what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix View Post

Today at sundown, my gabardine office pants will become Shabbos pants. A miracle. And thank you both for the Ashkenazic transliteration.

my pleasure. happy shabbos to you. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

That's over the top, baller ;D

hard to come by though. definitely in the advanced section.
post #296 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

My children lectured me on the inappropriateness of this. As a result, I change my tie. In fact, I switch to bowties.

they are right, for shame my good friend. kavdod shabbos! however, im glad you raised your children so well.
post #297 of 643
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

I do not walk on Amsterdam Avenue.
has it become dangerous? like in a '70s Scorcese movie?
post #298 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

has it become dangerous? like in a '70s Scorcese movie?
I don't think so. I just have no reason to. I am a creature of habit and my paths are well-grooved. I am sure I have crossed it plenty of times and maybe walked along a block or two, probably behind Lincoln Center.
post #299 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

why is, green hermes breast wallet, not on the list?

Because it is not merely to be acquired. It is earned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

I do not have a pith helmet and I do not walk on Amsterdam Avenue.

Do you ever wish you had one? If so, same difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

I don't think so. I just have no reason to. I am a creature of habit and my paths are well-grooved. I am sure I have crossed it plenty of times and maybe walked along a block or two, probably behind Lincoln Center.

I don't understand. It is one of the major streets running through our neighborhood. How on earth do you avoid it? Lots of good food. Levain Bakery, for one.

I think you are just trying to avoid me.
post #300 of 643
St. John of the Divine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed