or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed - Page 14

post #196 of 643
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedYoga View Post

What about black loafers?
'
useless, IMO.
post #197 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

'
useless, IMO.

That's what I thought you'd say. And is this because of a clash between the color, which connotes formality, and the fact that the shoe is a loafer, which suggests casualness?
post #198 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

OK, what do we replace it with, then? The black oxford is not negotiable. Since I have three shoes on the list, that leaves two slots. Or if you can think of One Shoe that does everything the black osxford does not, i am all ears. Brown bluchers are the closest thing I guess. The thing is, those are versatile, but not essential IMO. I still think the loafer, which goes from summer to winter and with tie to without tie, is a staple shoe.

fwiw, i agree to this completely. i think brown loafers are fantastically versatile.
post #199 of 643
I would say that I have and would agree with most everything here, save for the black tie event, but the loafer is something that, IMO, should be brought to the back of the barn and shot dead. I'm sure that some can do it well but I've never seen any that I would wish to have in my collection nor have I seen any in the wild that have ever "finished" the look.

My two cents.
post #200 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

'
useless, IMO.

they make for nice shabbos shoes with a bekeshe. smile.gif
post #201 of 643
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedYoga View Post

That's what I thought you'd say. And is this because of a clash between the color, which connotes formality, and the fact that the shoe is a loafer, which suggests casualness?
that's the heart of it.
post #202 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

OK, what do we replace it with, then? The black oxford is not negotiable. Since I have three shoes on the list, that leaves two slots. Or if you can think of One Shoe that does everything the black osxford does not, i am all ears. Brown bluchers are the closest thing I guess. The thing is, those are versatile, but not essential IMO. I still think the loafer, which goes from summer to winter and with tie to without tie, is a staple shoe.

I was going to say a brown derby, like a split toe, or wingtip.
post #203 of 643
Thread Starter 
My go to loafer is an unlined Alden for BB norwegian style in #8 shell, a super American shoe. But if you want one more formal, there are several classics in the EG catalogue. I also think Lobb Lopez is fantastic, which I have in tan and wear for the summer. My one other loafer is EG Buckingham in mink suede, for fall/winter. If I could have only one, it would be the Alden, hands down.

I guess this is the most controversial thing on the list.
post #204 of 643
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I was going to say a brown derby, like a split toe, or wingtip.

Too substantial for a summer outfit, can also be rather overmuch for a coat without a tie.
post #205 of 643
Kinda surprised by all this loafer hate, but maybe I shouldn't be, because I felt the same way when I was younger. But now, I wear them all the time, with every thing from jeans to a suit and all in between. They strike me as so classic that they hardly ever look out of place. I really want to get a pair of the BB unlined shell loafers - they'd make the perfect OneLoafer.
post #206 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

No, I am saying that if you don't have these things, you can't be well dressed in the tradition of classic men's tailored clothing, no matter where you live. If you have no need or no desire to be well dressed in the tradition of classic men's tailored clothing, then obviously you don't need any of these things.

But is that just based on your personal opinion though? Others will have different opinions.

It's threaks like this that make me come back to StyleForvm, a kind of escapism in the evenings.
post #207 of 643
Thread Starter 
No, it's not based on my personal opinion. It's maybe 25% personal opinion, 50% experience, and 25% observation and study. These are the things that basically every well dressed person has and has always had for the last 80 years. they are also the things that can take you through virtually any event or circumstance where you have to "dress up" (something more than chinos a a polo), without needing anything not on the list.
post #208 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I don't know that you can make this presumption about the OP.

Don't tell me, you live in a large metropolitan city and you have a job that requires that you wear a suit and tie?

TBH most of the things that the OP suggests are completely irrelevant here, or can't even get them locally. FYI I'm a teacher in a rural Chinese state middle school, not even the headmaster wears a suit.

...but this is MC StyleForvm. not the real world. There's probably some peeps that would suggest that $5000 handmade shoes should be an essential part of every gentleman's wardrobe, and you're not properly dressed without them.

Errr....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

I presume the OP is assuming that one has a white-collar job and lives in a large metropolitan US city. like New York or Washington DC.
No, I am saying that if you don't have these things, you can't be well dressed in the tradition of classic men's tailored clothing, no matter where you live. If you have no need or no desire to be well dressed in the tradition of classic men's tailored clothing, then obviously you don't need any of these things.

See, I told you not to presume! teacha.gif
post #209 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

My go to loafer is an unlined Alden for BB norwegian style in #8 shell, a super American shoe. But if you want one more formal, there are several classics in the EG catalogue. I also think Lobb Lopez is fantastic, which I have in tan and wear for the summer. My one other loafer is EG Buckingham in mink suede, for fall/winter. If I could have only one, it would be the Alden, hands down.
I guess this is the most controversial thing on the list.

Judging by the number of posters, loafers are the item most often unloved. If I had to choose something I would wear most often I would replace it with a split-toe or chelsea.
post #210 of 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Non chino just means, not like those sweatshop-made wrinkly things i wear on weekends and that I would never wear with a tie.

I could use more clarification on this. How about naming some names, maybe even posting some links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Wouldn't these all be often better served with (non brogued) derbys in most social situations?

As a guy who's trying to upgrade his shoe wardrobe, it would help me to know why you specified non-brogued derbies. Do they not occupy almost the same point as brogued derbies on the city-country spectrum?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed