Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:02 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 12:27 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 6:07 pm in Classic Menswear
- Paul Stuart expands and relocates their shoe department Last post on 7/21/14 at 7:50am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/10/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
How to wear a white shirt - Page 6post #76 of 5228/2/12 at 7:41am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #77 of 5228/2/12 at 7:49amThread Starterpost #78 of 5228/2/12 at 7:51amThread StarterQuote:I am going to start a poll.Originally Posted by mmkn
City/Country styling/context aside, above it seems that you do recognize that white is a "cool" colors (goes well with navy, black, white, silver; terrible with yellow, orange, rust, etc.).
What puzzles is the immense efforts at describing what white might look good with in details, but missing the fundamental of how it might look good on any one man (their natural colorings).
BTW, white is your color.
- Mpost #79 of 5228/2/12 at 7:55amInteresting topic for a threak. Foo said something about only needing one or two white shirts, and that they're not really "staples" to stock up on, but I have to disagree with that. Of course, a lot of it has to do with your occupation. I'm a lawyer and I'm usually in court at least twice a week. I almost exclusively wear solid white shirts when I'm in court, and if I'm not wearing white, then it's solid pale blue. So, I feel the need for more than one or two white shirts.
Here's a sample of what I wore yesterday to court, which I guess seems to fit in with Manton's original post (navy suit, white shirt, silver tie). Do/don't?
Sorry, the color didn't come out well.post #80 of 5228/2/12 at 7:58amThread Starterpost #81 of 5228/2/12 at 8:00amI don't know how it became me who has been driven into defending the classic American canon of late, but I think an exception needs to be made for the white OCBD, which to me has many beautiful uses. Best and most elided in Manton's mini-treatise is that the white OCBD is great in a casual context, e.g. with jeans, or khakis. Also, under a tweed sportcoat (grays and blues, in particular) and under camelhair (he already mentioned the blazer).
maybe I just get like this in the summer.post #82 of 5228/2/12 at 8:03am
My only departure from the OP is that I will rarely wear a white shirt with blue blazer and grey pants. Always with black shoes though. Other than that, I only wear a white shirt with suits, but burgundy shoes will work here, IMO. I never wear a white shirt without a tie.
As for yellow on white, I have worn a yellow tie with blue dots on a white shirt, but only with a navy suit, never with grey.post #83 of 5228/2/12 at 8:08amQuote:
Ah, didn't see it. As far as the tie pattern, I agree with that. Interestingly, it's sort of a "shimmery" look, and the distinctiveness of the pattern tends to come and go depending on lighting. Now that I look at this again, the narrowness of the tie pattern is a little too close to the narrow suit stripes.post #84 of 5228/2/12 at 9:14ampost #85 of 5228/2/12 at 9:17ampost #86 of 5228/2/12 at 9:17amQuote:Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Here's the thing: Secretly I agree with you, for the most part. I find white so interesting in that it's great for beginners, in that it rarely looks bad, but it's challenging to do really, really well. It's both the easiest shirt color to wear and the hardest. When I reach for a white shirt, it often involves an almost Foo-like consideration of color, contrast, saturation, etc. It's work, man. But done right, the white shirt looks effortless, whether by true indifference or by calculated design. Nothing better.
I existed in this blissful state until I read this thread: now, never again.
Just about the only piece of explicit sartorial advice I ever received as a child was when my mother told me a gentleman only wears a white shirt to funerals (I think she took evening wear for granted). I didn't listen though.post #87 of 5228/2/12 at 9:46ampost #88 of 5228/2/12 at 10:03am
I consider white button downs to be an essential part of my wardrobe. While many may disagree, I have no problems with wearing it every day in a more casual setting, especially during the summer or when I visit the South.
My basic rules are: It must fit and be fresh. But, to each his own, I guess...post #89 of 5228/2/12 at 10:42am
- How to wear a white shirt
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Need affordable durable jeans for work 2 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 46 seconds ago
- › Things you just don't get 4 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 5 minutes ago
- › Help me with my next suit 6 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 8 minutes ago
- › Brioni crocodile belt 9 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 10 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 11 minutes ago
- › ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 -... 11 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...