Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Fall Styles for the Tailored ManLast edited: 10/14/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
How to wear a white shirt - Page 6post #76 of 5228/2/12 at 7:41am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #77 of 5228/2/12 at 7:49amThread Starterpost #78 of 5228/2/12 at 7:51amThread StarterQuote:I am going to start a poll.Originally Posted by mmkn
City/Country styling/context aside, above it seems that you do recognize that white is a "cool" colors (goes well with navy, black, white, silver; terrible with yellow, orange, rust, etc.).
What puzzles is the immense efforts at describing what white might look good with in details, but missing the fundamental of how it might look good on any one man (their natural colorings).
BTW, white is your color.
- Mpost #79 of 5228/2/12 at 7:55amInteresting topic for a threak. Foo said something about only needing one or two white shirts, and that they're not really "staples" to stock up on, but I have to disagree with that. Of course, a lot of it has to do with your occupation. I'm a lawyer and I'm usually in court at least twice a week. I almost exclusively wear solid white shirts when I'm in court, and if I'm not wearing white, then it's solid pale blue. So, I feel the need for more than one or two white shirts.
Here's a sample of what I wore yesterday to court, which I guess seems to fit in with Manton's original post (navy suit, white shirt, silver tie). Do/don't?
Sorry, the color didn't come out well.post #80 of 5228/2/12 at 7:58amThread Starterpost #81 of 5228/2/12 at 8:00amI don't know how it became me who has been driven into defending the classic American canon of late, but I think an exception needs to be made for the white OCBD, which to me has many beautiful uses. Best and most elided in Manton's mini-treatise is that the white OCBD is great in a casual context, e.g. with jeans, or khakis. Also, under a tweed sportcoat (grays and blues, in particular) and under camelhair (he already mentioned the blazer).
maybe I just get like this in the summer.post #82 of 5228/2/12 at 8:03am
My only departure from the OP is that I will rarely wear a white shirt with blue blazer and grey pants. Always with black shoes though. Other than that, I only wear a white shirt with suits, but burgundy shoes will work here, IMO. I never wear a white shirt without a tie.
As for yellow on white, I have worn a yellow tie with blue dots on a white shirt, but only with a navy suit, never with grey.post #83 of 5228/2/12 at 8:08amQuote:
Ah, didn't see it. As far as the tie pattern, I agree with that. Interestingly, it's sort of a "shimmery" look, and the distinctiveness of the pattern tends to come and go depending on lighting. Now that I look at this again, the narrowness of the tie pattern is a little too close to the narrow suit stripes.post #84 of 5228/2/12 at 9:14ampost #85 of 5228/2/12 at 9:17ampost #86 of 5228/2/12 at 9:17amQuote:Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Here's the thing: Secretly I agree with you, for the most part. I find white so interesting in that it's great for beginners, in that it rarely looks bad, but it's challenging to do really, really well. It's both the easiest shirt color to wear and the hardest. When I reach for a white shirt, it often involves an almost Foo-like consideration of color, contrast, saturation, etc. It's work, man. But done right, the white shirt looks effortless, whether by true indifference or by calculated design. Nothing better.
I existed in this blissful state until I read this thread: now, never again.
Just about the only piece of explicit sartorial advice I ever received as a child was when my mother told me a gentleman only wears a white shirt to funerals (I think she took evening wear for granted). I didn't listen though.post #87 of 5228/2/12 at 9:46ampost #88 of 5228/2/12 at 10:03am
I consider white button downs to be an essential part of my wardrobe. While many may disagree, I have no problems with wearing it every day in a more casual setting, especially during the summer or when I visit the South.
My basic rules are: It must fit and be fresh. But, to each his own, I guess...post #89 of 5228/2/12 at 10:42am
- How to wear a white shirt
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › 125k pull-ups in 2015 5 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 8 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 18 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 19 minutes ago
- › Henry Carter Neckwear & Accessories: Official affiliate thread 28 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 29 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 34 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories