or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How to wear a white shirt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to wear a white shirt - Page 11

post #151 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


Check the drakes website, they usually have some ok wedding ties. Just stay away from the 7cm ones. You like my tie? I'll give you a good deal on it. devil.gif

 

A tie from the UK won't arrive in time (wedding is Aug. 11), all I have are local stores...

 

And I do like your tie but not sure I would wear it myself lookaround.gif

post #152 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Help me, gents. I thought you were going to diss Clapeyron's rig for being all solid. I do think the tie has some textural interest and overall it's classic with the white square, but to me it was so basic as to be boring and, dare I say it, almost Trumpish. I'm not a fan of the all-solids thing and generally would not pick it for myself, even for evening wear. Can you go into more depth here?

 

I agree with you. I pretty much try to dress as well as possible without drawing any attention to it at all. grenadine ties are a godsend for people like me. this wacky pocket square and the brown croc strap is as k-razzy is I come.

 

1000

post #153 of 522

Fun thread, this. I think Fuuma's (remarkably on point, it has to be said) analysis of the philosophical position being adopted takes the biscuit for most entertaining post on SF this year.

 

Regarding white shirts, my personal position is that I liked wearing them with smart suits (if they're businessy type shirts), or without a jacket and with sleeves rolled up (if it's a white OCBD). I have an ecru shirt that works fine if I want a very pale background in an odd jacket outfit. The off-whiteness of it tones it down just enough not to look stark I think.

 

However, sometimes on very sunny days, I will use a normal white shirt with an odd jacket if I want a very high contrast outfit between shirt & jacket (or between shirt/jacket & the trousers).

post #154 of 522

WHite dress shirts simply complement every suit/pants/trousers imaginable.

post #155 of 522
Yes, but not every tie and hanky.
post #156 of 522
Thread Starter 
dougie, jesus christ, there is nothing trumpish about it at all, what a mean thing to say.
post #157 of 522
Boom.

post #158 of 522
I take issue with the square. And are those french cuffs? Tisk, tisk, tisk...
post #159 of 522
Thread Starter 
aside from the fucking exploding square, which you need to get over, what kills this are the red-brown shoes and belt. That needs white or dirty bucks. Or something tan. If it were winter and the pants white flannel, then mink suede
post #160 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Help me, gents. I thought you were going to diss Clapeyron's rig for being all solid. I do think the tie has some textural interest and overall it's classic with the white square, but to me it was so basic as to be boring and, dare I say it, almost Trumpish. I'm not a fan of the all-solids thing and generally would not pick it for myself, even for evening wear. Can you go into more depth here?
Also, if anyone wants to start a wedding tie thread, it would be appreciated by me.

There is one here:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/62219/wedding-ties/0_40

 

Yes I should bump it and stop hijacking this thread... sorry.

post #161 of 522
You can lead a horse to water........
post #162 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

Boom.

I generally like it and often wear my squares like that, I would go for lighter shoes but not because of some rules, just cause they look to be so close in shade to your skin.
post #163 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

aside from the f-ing exploding square, which you need to get over, what kills this are the red-brown shoes and belt. That needs white or dirty bucks. Or something tan. If it were winter and the pants white flannel, then mink suede

Thanks. This was a try-on pic, (tag on the jacket and the pants are just folded under) I actually wore white gucci bit loafers with a blue & red ribbon under the bit and a navy & white grosgrain belt with silver d-rings. That particular square starts out like that but eventually nestles itself further down in the pocket buy the time I get where I'm going so less explosion there. BTW, this was for a beach wedding in the Caribbean.
post #164 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

Thanks. This was a try-on pic, (tag on the jacket and the pants are just folded under) I actually wore white gucci bit loafers with a blue & red ribbon under the bit and a navy & white grosgrain belt with silver d-rings. That particular square starts out like that but eventually nestles itself further down in the pocket buy the time I get where I'm going so less explosion there. BTW, this was for a beach wedding in the Caribbean.

What is with all the color repetition? Blue jacket, white shirt, white pants, white loafers with blue ribbon, blue and white belt, etc.
post #165 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

dougie, jesus christ, there is nothing trumpish about it at all, what a mean thing to say.

I said "almost" Trumpish; I was commenting on the all-solid nature of it, which is what Trump always wears. Anyways, I thought the popular position was that all solid is a no-no. I've come around to agreeing that it isn't the best look. I wasn't trying to be a dick about it; I don't know that it was taken in that manner anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

That needs white or dirty bucks. Or something band-aid in color.

175x400px-LM-4030fc6e_avatar1334_14.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How to wear a white shirt