Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
How to wear a white shirt - Page 10post #136 of 5228/3/12 at 7:26amI hate them. The only tone on tone white shirt I ever liked was this bespoke one, don't remember the fabric mill, but it was a while back and it was very thin with like "slubs" throughout it. It was just subtle enough to barely be noticed at 5 feet away. It was so delicate that it disintegrated pretty quickly.post #137 of 5228/3/12 at 7:30amQuote:Originally Posted by dopey
Growing up, those were always associated with the "Europeans" meaning the Swiss and Belgians and mittel-Europe. Nice ones were swiss-banker like. Not so nice ones were fuzzy-foreigner. And to wear a nice one, the shirt had to be perfect and top notch and you had to be in for a Pound - three piece suit, homburg, big gold cufflinks and big gold watch, polished black shoes and gold eyeglasses. When I first started getting bespoke shirts I got a couple but then realized they were not for me. There is one that I still miss, though - a white tone on tone bengal stripe (with the two tones evenly split so there is no ground-tone).
yeah, I'm sort of surprised at the hate here for them. I've liked them when I see them, but I might be group thinked out of it. I have always liked things that you have to get really close to see the pattern on.post #138 of 5228/3/12 at 7:49amQuote:
It's an evening wedding. 7:30 PM, but the sun will still be up and high by that time. And I hate (really, I can't stand them) gray ties! Argh, there must be a solution to this other than a boring blue tie / blue suitpost #139 of 5228/3/12 at 7:56ampost #140 of 5228/3/12 at 7:58amThread StarterAw82: ideal shirt is plain broadcloth, a collar that works for your face, but not BD, point or spread, French cuff. I would stay away from twills unless you want a shirt specifically for the cold because they wear hot. HOWEVER, I would not wear FC to job interviews.
Globe: avoid like the plague jacquard white shirts. Awful. If you want surface interest, try linen cotton for summer and twill for winter. Fine twills are OK but herringbone is bad.
JRD: Tattersall is nice but you have to be careful with it, it’s hard to pair. I actually like the small tattersalls for city shirts, the country Tattersalls less so because the size of the check makes them hard to pair with tweed coats. I really don’t like the English country look you see sometimes of a large Tattersall with a large tweed plaid.
Uniesee: While I try to avoid it, black shoes with a blazer at night can be OK, but only if they are not oxfords. Since I hate black loafers, this means monks, which lucky for me I have. But I prefer mink suede. It may be “wrong” in some way but I like it.
Clapeyron: looks fine, push down your square. Treehorn is right though, it’s a night outfit, not a day outfit. But, when I know I have something to do at night that requires that, I will not hesitate to wear that to work.
Booth at 126: wow, that is a terrible tie. Nice job with the square, though.
Rdiaz: please no red ties at weddings!!!
Baron, the last one is not bad but it would be better with a blue shirt. The tie goes so well with the jacket that it makes the white shirt OK.post #141 of 5228/3/12 at 8:00ampost #142 of 5228/3/12 at 8:03am
Damn guys... I don't have any grey nor black ties... you're gonna make me spend more money
Given that most of my blue ties are quite dark and would look boring with the suit, and I hate grey and black ties, I guess I'll look for a lighter blue silk print, paired with a white shirt, so the ensemble is not that boring... Would that be OK?post #143 of 5228/3/12 at 8:04ampost #144 of 5228/3/12 at 8:08amThread Starterpost #145 of 5228/3/12 at 8:13ampost #146 of 5228/3/12 at 8:21amQuote:
I third this observation. I have a Borelli in pale dove gray that I can never seem to place. It's neither fish nor foul.post #147 of 5228/3/12 at 8:32amHelp me, gents. I thought you were going to diss Clapeyron's rig for being all solid. I do think the tie has some textural interest and overall it's classic with the white square, but to me it was so basic as to be boring and, dare I say it, almost Trumpish. I'm not a fan of the all-solids thing and generally would not pick it for myself, even for evening wear. Can you go into more depth here?
Also, if anyone wants to start a wedding tie thread, it would be appreciated by me.post #148 of 5228/3/12 at 8:38am
I'll go hunting later today. Hope there's some blue/white glen plaid or houndstooth... I might even end up with a gray wedding tie. You know, though I mostly hate gray ties, I quite like the one you're wearing today, actually. Maybe because it has some blue in it. It works well with the white shirt...post #149 of 5228/3/12 at 8:41ampost #150 of 5228/3/12 at 8:46amQuote:Originally Posted by RDiaz
I'll go hunting later today. Hope there's some blue/white glen plaid or houndstooth... I might even end up with a gray wedding tie. You know, though I mostly hate gray ties, I quite like the one you're wearing today, actually. Maybe because it has some blue in it. It works well with the white shirt...
Check the drakes website, they usually have some ok wedding ties. Just stay away from the 7cm ones. You like my tie? I'll give you a good deal on it.
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 1 minute ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 19 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 22 minutes ago
- › 2016 50 Book Challenge 22 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 26 minutes ago
- › Sartorial Leather Jackets by Craftsman Clothing - Official... 30 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 36 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 37 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 38 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...