Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 4/20/15 at 12:03pm in Classic Menswear
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:22 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 7:11 am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
How to wear a white shirt - Page 10post #136 of 5228/3/12 at 7:26amI hate them. The only tone on tone white shirt I ever liked was this bespoke one, don't remember the fabric mill, but it was a while back and it was very thin with like "slubs" throughout it. It was just subtle enough to barely be noticed at 5 feet away. It was so delicate that it disintegrated pretty quickly.
Styleforum Top Pickspost #137 of 5228/3/12 at 7:30amQuote:Originally Posted by dopey
Growing up, those were always associated with the "Europeans" meaning the Swiss and Belgians and mittel-Europe. Nice ones were swiss-banker like. Not so nice ones were fuzzy-foreigner. And to wear a nice one, the shirt had to be perfect and top notch and you had to be in for a Pound - three piece suit, homburg, big gold cufflinks and big gold watch, polished black shoes and gold eyeglasses. When I first started getting bespoke shirts I got a couple but then realized they were not for me. There is one that I still miss, though - a white tone on tone bengal stripe (with the two tones evenly split so there is no ground-tone).
yeah, I'm sort of surprised at the hate here for them. I've liked them when I see them, but I might be group thinked out of it. I have always liked things that you have to get really close to see the pattern on.post #138 of 5228/3/12 at 7:49amQuote:
It's an evening wedding. 7:30 PM, but the sun will still be up and high by that time. And I hate (really, I can't stand them) gray ties! Argh, there must be a solution to this other than a boring blue tie / blue suitpost #139 of 5228/3/12 at 7:56ampost #140 of 5228/3/12 at 7:58amThread StarterAw82: ideal shirt is plain broadcloth, a collar that works for your face, but not BD, point or spread, French cuff. I would stay away from twills unless you want a shirt specifically for the cold because they wear hot. HOWEVER, I would not wear FC to job interviews.
Globe: avoid like the plague jacquard white shirts. Awful. If you want surface interest, try linen cotton for summer and twill for winter. Fine twills are OK but herringbone is bad.
JRD: Tattersall is nice but you have to be careful with it, it’s hard to pair. I actually like the small tattersalls for city shirts, the country Tattersalls less so because the size of the check makes them hard to pair with tweed coats. I really don’t like the English country look you see sometimes of a large Tattersall with a large tweed plaid.
Uniesee: While I try to avoid it, black shoes with a blazer at night can be OK, but only if they are not oxfords. Since I hate black loafers, this means monks, which lucky for me I have. But I prefer mink suede. It may be “wrong” in some way but I like it.
Clapeyron: looks fine, push down your square. Treehorn is right though, it’s a night outfit, not a day outfit. But, when I know I have something to do at night that requires that, I will not hesitate to wear that to work.
Booth at 126: wow, that is a terrible tie. Nice job with the square, though.
Rdiaz: please no red ties at weddings!!!
Baron, the last one is not bad but it would be better with a blue shirt. The tie goes so well with the jacket that it makes the white shirt OK.post #141 of 5228/3/12 at 8:00ampost #142 of 5228/3/12 at 8:03am
Damn guys... I don't have any grey nor black ties... you're gonna make me spend more money
Given that most of my blue ties are quite dark and would look boring with the suit, and I hate grey and black ties, I guess I'll look for a lighter blue silk print, paired with a white shirt, so the ensemble is not that boring... Would that be OK?post #143 of 5228/3/12 at 8:04ampost #144 of 5228/3/12 at 8:08amThread Starterpost #145 of 5228/3/12 at 8:13ampost #146 of 5228/3/12 at 8:21amQuote:
I third this observation. I have a Borelli in pale dove gray that I can never seem to place. It's neither fish nor foul.post #147 of 5228/3/12 at 8:32amHelp me, gents. I thought you were going to diss Clapeyron's rig for being all solid. I do think the tie has some textural interest and overall it's classic with the white square, but to me it was so basic as to be boring and, dare I say it, almost Trumpish. I'm not a fan of the all-solids thing and generally would not pick it for myself, even for evening wear. Can you go into more depth here?
Also, if anyone wants to start a wedding tie thread, it would be appreciated by me.post #148 of 5228/3/12 at 8:38am
I'll go hunting later today. Hope there's some blue/white glen plaid or houndstooth... I might even end up with a gray wedding tie. You know, though I mostly hate gray ties, I quite like the one you're wearing today, actually. Maybe because it has some blue in it. It works well with the white shirt...post #149 of 5228/3/12 at 8:41ampost #150 of 5228/3/12 at 8:46amQuote:Originally Posted by RDiaz
I'll go hunting later today. Hope there's some blue/white glen plaid or houndstooth... I might even end up with a gray wedding tie. You know, though I mostly hate gray ties, I quite like the one you're wearing today, actually. Maybe because it has some blue in it. It works well with the white shirt...
Check the drakes website, they usually have some ok wedding ties. Just stay away from the 7cm ones. You like my tie? I'll give you a good deal on it.
- How to wear a white shirt
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 17 seconds ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAY... 54 seconds ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 3 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 3 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 4 minutes ago
- › Suspension Point – Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO 4 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 5 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 5 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan