Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- URGENT: What to wear for professional photo? Last post on 11/29/12 at 4:54pm in Classic Menswear
- Tall and skinny: shirts and suits? Last post on 11/13/12 at 8:48am in Classic Menswear
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Help needed for measurements of suits, shirts, sweaters Last post on 10/28/12 at 2:07pm in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 10/17/12 at 4:26pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Edited on 5/31/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Edited on 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Edited on 5/31/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- Crane's Country Store
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Four Horsemen Shop
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Hiras Fashion
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Mes Chausettes Rouges
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Tanner Goods/Woodlands Supply
- Tate + Yoko
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Tiberias Clothing
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
How to wear a white shirt - Page 10post #136 of 4298/3/12 at 7:26amI hate them. The only tone on tone white shirt I ever liked was this bespoke one, don't remember the fabric mill, but it was a while back and it was very thin with like "slubs" throughout it. It was just subtle enough to barely be noticed at 5 feet away. It was so delicate that it disintegrated pretty quickly.post #137 of 4298/3/12 at 7:30amQuote:Originally Posted by dopey
Growing up, those were always associated with the "Europeans" meaning the Swiss and Belgians and mittel-Europe. Nice ones were swiss-banker like. Not so nice ones were fuzzy-foreigner. And to wear a nice one, the shirt had to be perfect and top notch and you had to be in for a Pound - three piece suit, homburg, big gold cufflinks and big gold watch, polished black shoes and gold eyeglasses. When I first started getting bespoke shirts I got a couple but then realized they were not for me. There is one that I still miss, though - a white tone on tone bengal stripe (with the two tones evenly split so there is no ground-tone).
yeah, I'm sort of surprised at the hate here for them. I've liked them when I see them, but I might be group thinked out of it. I have always liked things that you have to get really close to see the pattern on.post #138 of 4298/3/12 at 7:49amQuote:
It's an evening wedding. 7:30 PM, but the sun will still be up and high by that time. And I hate (really, I can't stand them) gray ties! Argh, there must be a solution to this other than a boring blue tie / blue suitpost #139 of 4298/3/12 at 7:56ampost #140 of 4298/3/12 at 7:58amThread StarterAw82: ideal shirt is plain broadcloth, a collar that works for your face, but not BD, point or spread, French cuff. I would stay away from twills unless you want a shirt specifically for the cold because they wear hot. HOWEVER, I would not wear FC to job interviews.
Globe: avoid like the plague jacquard white shirts. Awful. If you want surface interest, try linen cotton for summer and twill for winter. Fine twills are OK but herringbone is bad.
JRD: Tattersall is nice but you have to be careful with it, it’s hard to pair. I actually like the small tattersalls for city shirts, the country Tattersalls less so because the size of the check makes them hard to pair with tweed coats. I really don’t like the English country look you see sometimes of a large Tattersall with a large tweed plaid.
Uniesee: While I try to avoid it, black shoes with a blazer at night can be OK, but only if they are not oxfords. Since I hate black loafers, this means monks, which lucky for me I have. But I prefer mink suede. It may be “wrong” in some way but I like it.
Clapeyron: looks fine, push down your square. Treehorn is right though, it’s a night outfit, not a day outfit. But, when I know I have something to do at night that requires that, I will not hesitate to wear that to work.
Booth at 126: wow, that is a terrible tie. Nice job with the square, though.
Rdiaz: please no red ties at weddings!!!
Baron, the last one is not bad but it would be better with a blue shirt. The tie goes so well with the jacket that it makes the white shirt OK.post #141 of 4298/3/12 at 8:00ampost #142 of 4298/3/12 at 8:03am
Damn guys... I don't have any grey nor black ties... you're gonna make me spend more money
Given that most of my blue ties are quite dark and would look boring with the suit, and I hate grey and black ties, I guess I'll look for a lighter blue silk print, paired with a white shirt, so the ensemble is not that boring... Would that be OK?post #143 of 4298/3/12 at 8:04ampost #144 of 4298/3/12 at 8:08amThread Starterpost #145 of 4298/3/12 at 8:13ampost #146 of 4298/3/12 at 8:21amQuote:
I third this observation. I have a Borelli in pale dove gray that I can never seem to place. It's neither fish nor foul.post #147 of 4298/3/12 at 8:32amHelp me, gents. I thought you were going to diss Clapeyron's rig for being all solid. I do think the tie has some textural interest and overall it's classic with the white square, but to me it was so basic as to be boring and, dare I say it, almost Trumpish. I'm not a fan of the all-solids thing and generally would not pick it for myself, even for evening wear. Can you go into more depth here?
Also, if anyone wants to start a wedding tie thread, it would be appreciated by me.post #148 of 4298/3/12 at 8:38am
I'll go hunting later today. Hope there's some blue/white glen plaid or houndstooth... I might even end up with a gray wedding tie. You know, though I mostly hate gray ties, I quite like the one you're wearing today, actually. Maybe because it has some blue in it. It works well with the white shirt...post #149 of 4298/3/12 at 8:41ampost #150 of 4298/3/12 at 8:46amQuote:Originally Posted by RDiaz
I'll go hunting later today. Hope there's some blue/white glen plaid or houndstooth... I might even end up with a gray wedding tie. You know, though I mostly hate gray ties, I quite like the one you're wearing today, actually. Maybe because it has some blue in it. It works well with the white shirt...
Check the drakes website, they usually have some ok wedding ties. Just stay away from the 7cm ones. You like my tie? I'll give you a good deal on it.
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 19 seconds ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 20 seconds ago
- › The Architecture Thread 35 seconds ago
- › Yuketen Angler Moc with Camp Sole 9.5 E 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 3 minutes ago
- › Unbelragazzo's magical mystery tour through England 3 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 3 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 3 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 3 minutes ago
- › Alden Indy Boot 403 Brown Chromexcel by Shavely Manden
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boot by blue suede shoes
- › Isaia Coral Lapel Pin by carre567
- › Kiton Napoli WearRight Dark Green Soft suede Loafers 11.5 *Handmade* by BearBindell
- › Red Wing Men's 6" Iron Ranger Boot by ranger21
- › Alfred Sargent Moore by Harrydog
- › Bright orange green paisley pattern silk tie by Holtemor
- › Allen-Edmonds Men's Leeds Oxfords,Black,10 C by trouble
- › Jos. A. Bank Signature Gold 2-Button Wool Suit by JJTV
- › Frye Men's Wallace Oxford by RandyE
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear) by alyssaw