I think this thread deserve some more pics, I think you could help us out there.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:30 pm in Classic Menswear
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on Yesterday at 3:30 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Worst Look - Page 3post #31 of 3897/31/12 at 3:26pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 3897/31/12 at 3:39pmQuote:The overheating of interiors causes many sartorial infelicities.Originally Posted by schrag
It's a terrible chain reaction...
Overly warm offices -> Ditch the jacket; No jacket -> Ditch the tie; No Tie -> Collar gets sloppy; BD collar -> Too casual for dress trousers; No dress trousers -> Khakis ... etc.Quote:Originally Posted by Balfour
...the path of least resistance to achieving a so-called 'casual' look (i.e. wear exactly the same but remove the tie).Quote:Originally Posted by edmorel
...guys wearing suits without ties.Quote:The loathsome suit-without-tie look has become a uniform - and it is much more a uniform without the tie as the tie gives colour and individuality.Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I was in Paris last week and was quite surprised at the prevalence of this look on businessmen around the city. It seems to have become quite common in London as well.Quote:Excellent! You've hit the nail on the head.Originally Posted by Geezer
I cannot stand the suit with no tie...Not wearing a tie does not transform you into some kind of free-spirited trendy progressive radical who is down wiv da kidz. Especially when you put a tie on as soon as someone important is coming by or you have a job interview...Quote:Good for you - if only there were many more such victories!Originally Posted by Geezer
...I recently employed someone who is in almost all respects excellent. Clever, knowledgeable, personable, enthusiastic, etc. The first couple of days he turned up in a suit with no tie - well, it is what passes for summer, I suppose. On day 3, I tell him that he and I are wanted for an unscheduled meeting in ten minutes with someone very important. He starts putting his papers together and finding his pen. I cannot resist saying "Put a tie on, please, we're at work". He did, and has worn a tie every day since. A small victory.post #33 of 3897/31/12 at 3:44pmpost #34 of 3897/31/12 at 4:09pmpost #35 of 3897/31/12 at 4:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by HansderHund
Great thread. Here, office attire has become very casual. Many that don't interact with customers/clients wear jeans. Those in finance do wear proper business attire, though I see the short sleeve button down with a suit in the summer (terrible).
Though it's become casual, I have noticed a number of people still choose to dress better to work. For many, I believe, it's for their pride/hobby. Spanish offices are, on the whole, more business-like than here. My Spanish colleagues generally don't dress down to work.
I'm not a jeans guy myself, but a well-fitting pair of jeans can look better than a floppy set of chinos.post #36 of 3897/31/12 at 4:53pmpost #37 of 3897/31/12 at 5:16pmBlack shirt and some and any variety of khaki pants ranging from off white to British tan to nearly olive. Or black pants.
The company thinks it presents management in a "sporty" image in our retail venue. They want us in knit polos but so far seem to have no objection to the dress shirts having not specifically prohibiting them..post #38 of 3897/31/12 at 5:35pmFunny no one has mentioned the most annoying of comments when wearing a sport coat, "Nice suit." Aaaarghhhh! Just because you wear a blazer or sport coat, or even an unstructured jacket that has some form of lapel, people call it a "suit". Jeebus.
The worst offenders aren't men though. At least the sad sack business casual look is fairly consistent. But women generally don't know what they're doing and I'm tired of seeing "matching" = "cute style" LAME. Just because red and red are the same color doesn't mean you need to wear all red ffs.post #39 of 3897/31/12 at 6:06pmpost #40 of 3897/31/12 at 6:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by celery
Funny no one has mentioned the most annoying of comments when wearing a sport coat, "Nice suit." Aaaarghhhh! Just because you wear a blazer or sport coat, or even an unstructured jacket that has some form of lapel, people call it a "suit". Jeebus.
The worst offenders aren't men though. At least the sad sack business casual look is fairly consistent. But women generally don't know what they're doing and I'm tired of seeing "matching" = "cute style" LAME. Just because red and red are the same color doesn't mean you need to wear all red ffs.
I'm actually sick of getting shit from women at the office for -not- matching.
"Blue and grey don't match."
"You have to wear black socks if you wear black shoes."
Generally speaking, most women have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to men's style. You don't want to dress in a way that is blatantly unappealing to women, but at the same time, totally pandering to their notions of style would have you dressing like a Jersey guido in matching black Armani suit, shirt, tie, and shoes. (Or, at the very least, in all dark colors. Women seem to have a strong preference for dark colors over lighter colors, blacks over browns, etc.).
Women on the coasts are more stylistically adept than women in flyover country, but not by a huge margin.post #41 of 3897/31/12 at 6:32pmpost #42 of 3897/31/12 at 7:47pmpost #43 of 3897/31/12 at 8:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
Down here in the South "business casual" is interpreted as an invite to wear a Dri-Fit polo from some obscure country club tucked into deep double pleated khakis with a steel tipped belt and some flavor of Rockport-inspired footwear. Not to mention that all of these ensembles are, more often than not, accompanied by some flavor of sport/fishing sunglasses and croakies.
At least up North they have some hint of "office" to their attire. Down here everyone looks like they are popping into the office in between rounds.
Real alphas wear New Balance or Vibram 5 Fingers for business casual and business formal.post #44 of 3897/31/12 at 9:21pmpost #45 of 3897/31/12 at 9:58pmQuote:
Very much the same with me, I've never had an occupation that required a suit. Kept one for job interviews and my sister's wedding, I think that was it. I've often worn tailored jackets and blazers though. TBH the only time I see a suits been worn around these parts is during Spring Festival(usually shiny ones) of if people work in a bank(staff issue suits).
- The Worst Look
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 1588 Active Users (379 Members and 1209 Guests)
- › Official Sales Alert thread 58 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 2 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 4 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 5 minutes ago
- › Recommendation for an alterations tailor 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 5 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › Sneakers for Boot People
- › The Pleasures and Perils of the Long Coat
- › Professor Fabulous Returns to the Closet
- › Why Styleforum Matters
- › The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 0
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays