or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Worst Look
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Worst Look - Page 14

post #196 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

In NYC or London it could get you arrested. What about free'n'easy SoCal? smile.gif

No it wouldn't.
post #197 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I just think sweaters over a dress shirt is a very lazy way to try to look better. A sportcoat makes you look 1000 times better.

i think a cardigan is a happy medium if you feel uncomfortable with the "formality" of a jacket.
post #198 of 389
My best friend is a cardigan man. Has about 300 of them. I however, still disagree. He has toned arms, which look good in sweaters though, I like to point it out to him when girls are about.
post #199 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanS View Post

Now go ahead and tell me 84 reasons why I'm wrong, or just accept that the elite stopped dressing up a long time ago and that's that.

I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, I just don't care. There is no number of pictures of Sam Zell you could post that would make me want to dress like him.
post #200 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

My best friend is a cardigan man. Has about 300 of them. I however, still disagree. He has toned arms, which look good in sweaters though, I like to point it out to him when girls are about.

Whoa. 300 is a lot of cardigans. I think I have 3. I still consider them inferior to the jacket, but for someone who just can't bring themselves to wear a jacket, the cardigan can at least give the "V" of the jacket when buttoned properly.
post #201 of 389
I feel most people you see wearing them do it because it is cheaper and easier than a proper jacket. I stand by this.

I don't think it is a bad look, or the "worst" look like the title of this thread suggests, however I consider it n00b.
post #202 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I feel most people you see wearing them do it because it is cheaper and easier than a proper jacket. I stand by this.
I don't think it is a bad look, or the "worst" look like the title of this thread suggests, however I consider it n00b.

On the first sentence, I really have no idea. But I think for a lot of people it just never really even occurs to them to wear a jacket.

On the second sentence, I agree entirely.
post #203 of 389
Thread Starter 
I have one cardigan that I wear in the house in winter because it is brutally expensive to heat my house to a comfortable temp. I never wear it out.
post #204 of 389
Do you burn oil?
post #205 of 389

I will throw in on this. I have several cardigans and they are all pieces I love. I never wear one in lieu of a jacket. However on occasion I do wear one with a shirt and tie in situations where a jacket is not required. Not because I prefer them over jackets but because sometimes it's nice to have a little change. They are also nice for those in between seasons where it is too hot for a jacket but you want a little extra warmth. That having been said I do not think it is a good look if you are someone who has a little extra girth. Definitely a fit person's look. 

post #206 of 389
The whole question of workplace dress depends on what you do, your age, your station, your location, etc. But, in general, it makes no more sense for a 22-year-old guy to wear a three-piece suit to his biz casual cubicle than it would have for him to have worn that three-piece suit to high school or a frat party. If a guy can't figure out how to dress appropriately for his job, why should anyone trust him to make more important decisions?

This isn't to say that guys shouldn't dress as well as their circumstances allow, or even slightly better. It's only to suggest that it's important to think about what your look says about you, and whether your clothing sends the messages you want it to send. Guys who succeed while wearing nice clothes do so because the clothing adds to the image of confidence and competence. But you only need to look at WAYW to see plenty of examples of "nice clothing" doing just the opposite.
post #207 of 389
Dress to your role, pay , location and industry requirements.

I work in the tropics. No shirt or jacket needed.

On the topic of cardigans, I have bought a few in my lifetime... and have regretted each purchase. They are fugly IMHO.
post #208 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post

This has to be the fourth or fifth picture of a Chinese guy with his potbelly hanging out of his shirt that I've seen in the last month. Please tell me they're all pics of the same dude, and this isn't a trend or something?

Are you not aware how hot summer is in Asia? Uncles love doing this wink.gif

It makes Singapore - you know... that South East Asian island ... feel like an Autumn paradise.
post #209 of 389
Thread Starter 
I'm not advocating that people overdress for their jobs. I'm saying that "suit minus"--i.e., minus the things that make it work as a suit--is a terrible look.

If your workplace is biz-cazh, then swap out the suit pants for more casual pants that work with an odd jacket or no jacket. Swap out the spread collar broadcloth for a textured BD. Throw away the black duckbills for something tasteful in brown. Etc.
post #210 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post


Are you not aware how hot summer is in Asia? Uncles love doing this wink.gif
It makes Singapore - you know... that South East Asian island ... feel like an Autumn paradise.

Enduring record breaking heat this summer, I'm inclined to ask (assuming your comment is devoid of sarcasm on the topic): how hot is summer in Asia? (temperatures, please, no "hotter than a pig's ass on the fourth of July in Texas").

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Worst Look