I am hot too, yet never dress like that.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- whnay.'s good taste thread Last post on 9/24/14 at 8:18am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Worst Look - Page 13
Styleforum Top Pickspost #182 of 3898/16/12 at 7:31ampost #183 of 3898/16/12 at 7:58ampost #184 of 3898/16/12 at 9:06ampost #185 of 3898/16/12 at 9:14ampost #186 of 3898/16/12 at 9:51amQuote:
I find a large portion of your own personal style to be appealing. But, in this example, I must disagree (for the most part: I completely agree in the sense that when it's done lazily, it looks lazy).
1) I wear a v-neck over a button down and/or dress shirt and look quite well. Maybe it's because of my body type and distaste for any garments that have an unappealing fit; if I see the same outfit on someone with poor fit, bad color composition, and a lack of details like half the collar under the sweater and the other half over, or sleeves looking sloppy, I agree it looks lazy and unappealing.
2) I also do this (sweater over collared shirt) with an odd jacket/sport coat and I love it. Again, maybe it's my body type and image of confidence. And, again, if done lazily I hate it.
The beauty of our personal style (an extension of our own opinions) is that I respect your own dress choices and our disagreement on this topic.post #187 of 3898/16/12 at 9:57amSee, I think most people's style is a function of two main things 1) It is easy and 2) It is cheap. This is why you see it so often. It is much more difficult to get tailored garments to look great, and it certainly is more money to do so. Do you have to wear sportcoats to look good? No, but I think they make you look great, and better than wearing a sweater over a dress shirt. Do you need to spend more money to look good? No, but people who put resources towards it and in the right way (good taste) will always look better.post #188 of 3898/16/12 at 10:00ampost #189 of 3898/16/12 at 10:10amQuote:
Framed in this context, I would agree with your previous comments. If I were presented with a scenario in which an individual utilized a sweater (in lieu of a jacket) to bypass (or attempt to fulfill) a dress requirement or expectation, I would find that lazy. In fact, I can recall a few scenarios wherein an individual did something similar and my thought was "lazy...sloppy". So I would indeed agree. Sorry, drifting off topic and rambling now.post #190 of 3898/16/12 at 1:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by NoCleverName
I'm with Jackie Treehorn on the hierarchical dressing. I'm generally dressing for myself, but if I were to wear a sport coat or a suit to work, especially with a tie, it would be terribly out of place. My management doesn't wear sport coats or ties, you have to get up to just sub-vice president level before you see people regularly wearing SCs or suits. Most people are in jeans and polos or even jeans and t-shirts. I think I could get away with a sweater + dress shirt or sweater+tie+dress shirt though.
I have the same situation. Being in IT even Project Managers don't wear suits, SC or ties. I can get away with a dress shirt and chinos but I usually wear a dress shirt with jeans so it turns out to be a casual look overal. With the right jeans (and loafers) I can pretty much wear any dress shirt and still fit in.
It would be tough for me to wear a SC at work and not completely stand out.post #191 of 3898/16/12 at 2:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
You ever think that those people could have been wearing that before they were promoted? I have noticed in the company that I work for better dressed people get promoted more. Maybe it has nothing to do with the clothes. Maybe it is that people who put more effort in their appearance in the workplace are just better workers and take themselves more seriously, rather than perfunctory. I am just strongly against wearing something to fit in. So much so that I would probably get a different job if it meant not being comfortable in wearing what I want.
The part about the better-dressed people being promoted more is true. It goes with the overall professional image which likely translates to better job performance. I don't think I've seen someone in polo t-shirts and jeans (or chinos) promoted to be a peer by the suit-wearing "elite".post #192 of 3898/16/12 at 3:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
Down here in the South "business casual" is interpreted as an invite to wear a Dri-Fit polo from some obscure country club tucked into deep double pleated khakis with a steel tipped belt and some flavor of Rockport-inspired footwear. Not to mention that all of these ensembles are, more often than not, accompanied by some flavor of sport/fishing sunglasses and croakies.
At least up North they have some hint of "office" to their attire. Down here everyone looks like they are popping into the office in between rounds.
Add a Fleece vest, take away the belt for a "dress belt", and that sounds about right for the PNW. The other combination is a polo (usually blue), oversized (not deliberately) pleated chinos, and Rockports or Rockport imitators. I think that people must have gotten great deals when Bestbuy closed and liquidated their uniforms.
What Manton described was "business". I think that if you include the tie and the jacket you have "formal".
I propose that instead of levels of formality, you designate days as "care" and "don't care." You could wear anything you wanted, but it would have to be obvious to the beholder that you actually made an effort, whether you are dressed a la Manton or look like Willy Wonka/Alan Flusser or look like some very skinny ninja, on "care" days. On "don't care" days, you could come wearing anything that would not get you arrested. At very least, it would make offices a lot more interesting.post #193 of 3898/16/12 at 3:55pmpost #194 of 3898/16/12 at 6:46pm
- The Worst Look
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › TV)))FC Basel vs Liverpool live Streaming Online 4 seconds ago
- › New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups 20 seconds ago
- › NFL 2014-15 Thread 38 seconds ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 38 seconds ago
- › jrd's Guide to Coherent Sportcoat Combinations 1 minute ago
- › *Watch soccer Football Online*Fulham vs Bolton live Streaming Online 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › *Watch soccer Football Online*Arsenal vs Galatasaray live Streaming... 1 minute ago
- › *Watch soccer Football Online*Ludo Razgd vs Real Madrid live... 2 minutes ago
- › *Watch soccer Football Online*FC Basel vs Liverpool live Streaming... 2 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...