Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:11 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 3:12 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?Last edited: Today
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 652post #9766 of 140388/20/13 at 2:00am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #9767 of 140388/20/13 at 2:06ampost #9768 of 140388/20/13 at 3:39ampost #9769 of 140388/20/13 at 5:24ampost #9770 of 140388/20/13 at 8:33ampost #9771 of 140388/20/13 at 8:54ampost #9772 of 140388/20/13 at 9:03ampost #9773 of 140388/20/13 at 9:10ampost #9774 of 140388/20/13 at 9:16ampost #9775 of 140388/20/13 at 9:18ampost #9776 of 140388/20/13 at 9:18ampost #9777 of 140388/20/13 at 9:19am
It's not practical, I agree with you 100% on that, especially if you consider that commissioning multiple garments for each point in the formality spectrum is even more unpractical. However, saying that it's too orthodox arguing that there's only one shoulder shape that is flattering for you isn't a bit close minded too? I mean, you know yourself way better than any of us, but, perhaps, trying a straight shoulder with a bit less os roping would be a way to keep flattering your body and still dropping the formality. What do you think?post #9778 of 140388/20/13 at 9:26am
I think the jacket's neck + roped sleevehead is giving the impression of a concave curve at the shoulder, but it's actually pretty straight and almost unpadded. My shoulders are very narrow so the roping helps widening them a little by creating some extra pufiness at the sleevehead, without the need for much shoulder extension. For my next commission I'm probably gonna try less or no roping (will likely switch to a new tailor as well). It's not going to be as flattering, but might probably look good enough.post #9779 of 140388/20/13 at 9:37am
I see, those photographs really gave me the impression of a pagoda-ish shoulder line. From my personal experience, I'd advise you to don't be so focused on the "flattering" part. I also have very sloped shoulder and I was a bit concerned about it at first, but, after understanding my life style, my tailor went with a bit of padding to level up, extended the shoulder line and kept an almost convex shoulder line with just a bit of roping, so as to not be incoherent with my life style and still be as flattering as possible. Good luck with your new tailor.post #9780 of 140388/20/13 at 9:45am
I actually like the look of a sloping shoulder (as long as it's not excessive), which is why I ask for very little padding. It's width that needs some "tailors magic" to avoid a pear look
I really wish I could stay with this tailor because honestly, for the price I paid, a jacket with this exact same pattern, lapels half an inch narrower and the slightly long front balance fixed would be as good as it gets. But he sends the forms to the factory, then the factory does whatever they please. Maybe I could just stick with him and if the same thing happens again, demand a remake. Or maybe try his "semi-bespoke" service, which offers a basted fitting, then the garment is sent back to the factory for finishing. I've been thinking over this a lot recently; I still need to lose a lot of weight, so bespoke is perhaps too much wasted €€€, and starting over with a new MTM tailor could be worse than trying to get things right with my current one. What a dilemma.
Edited by RDiaz - 8/20/13 at 10:13am
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 13 seconds ago
- › Very weird experience with B. Nelson... What is your experience... 2 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 6 minutes ago
- › Ten Ties, Five Jackets (10/5 thread) 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Plain Toe Blucher size 8.5D on Barrie / BNIB 9 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 11 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 12 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge for February 5th 2016 - The Green Jacket 15 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...