Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:57 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 3:20 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 12:02 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 651post #9751 of 139628/19/13 at 3:38pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #9752 of 139628/19/13 at 4:00pmpost #9753 of 139628/19/13 at 4:06pmpost #9754 of 139628/19/13 at 4:14pmpost #9755 of 139628/19/13 at 4:46pmpost #9756 of 139628/19/13 at 5:10pmpost #9757 of 139628/19/13 at 5:26pmQuote:
does this work Doc?post #9758 of 139628/19/13 at 6:15pm
Personally, I would be careful about wearing a bright yellow tie. The risk is that people see the tie, and it's so vibrant that they only look at the tie, and they don't notice the suit, shoes, or shirt. The principle I like to follow is to try to have people see the whole outfit. Their eyes should not dwell, much less stare, at any one part. It reminds me of a piece of advice from Cary Grant: "Remember, that's you walking down the street, not the socks." What goes for bright yellow socks would apply to a similarly colored tie.
I do like your suit, and that's beautiful leather on your shoes.post #9759 of 139628/19/13 at 6:29pm
No way my man, one of them is a beautiful six-fold from Henry Carter and it's a great tie... sure it could be out of place in a business setting, but fortunately that's not my case
I might have poor taste or whatever, but outside CBD, I quite like yellow ties. I think they look good with lighter-than-navy jackets and pale blue shirts. I have to admit Tirailleur's tie looks a bit too bright even for my taste, though...post #9760 of 139628/19/13 at 7:15pmpost #9761 of 139628/19/13 at 7:26pmTira, I know you asked Doc, but I think that tie (as it appears in the picture) is just too bright. It damned near glows. A similarly bright orange or green or blue tie would have the same problem. FWIW, though, I think people are still more likely to remember you than the tie.
RD, I wouldn't seriously tell someone not to wear yellow ties (even though they are almost categorically hideous to my eye). You know that, right?post #9762 of 139628/19/13 at 7:27pmpost #9763 of 139628/19/13 at 8:00pmpost #9764 of 139628/19/13 at 10:53pmQuote:
but... but... you fixed me post to say destroy yellow ties
Alas, I'm going to wear a yellow tie today.post #9765 of 139628/19/13 at 11:04pm
just not the ones with yellow in themQuote:Originally Posted by Tirailleur1
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
does this work Doc?
nothing plays off the complexion like tie color. that's why yellow looks so dodgy with paler complexions- tends to make me look sallow.
dark complexions on the other hand, they def can work, which is y T's look roks here IMO
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 5 seconds ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 2 minutes ago
- › What are you reading? 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 8 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 9 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 12 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...