Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:08 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 4:19 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 632post #9466 of 140388/6/13 at 7:20am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #9467 of 140388/6/13 at 7:23ampost #9468 of 140388/6/13 at 7:49ampost #9469 of 140388/6/13 at 10:05ampost #9470 of 140388/6/13 at 10:14am
This isn't something I wore today but, in the interest of actual critiques from members I believe could contribute to enhancing my style, I wanted to post these for critique. They were well received in the HOF thread, which is where I'd post more of my fits that I believe to be on the more conservative end, though the thread tends to taper back and forth.
I urge everyone to 'pretend' there is a white linen PS in there. I had ordered one but it's lost somewhere in the abyss that is USPS and I refuse to order another until it is sorted out.
Shirt/pants are linen. The shirt is actually a pencil-stripe and here is a closeup of the fabric:
What would the fit have gotten in points, and why?
Thanks!post #9471 of 140388/6/13 at 10:40am
The flying lapels are a bit much.
Would have been better w/ a blue shirt IMO - wrinkled linen + brown don't really seem to go w/ a stark white shirt.
Like the shape of the jacket. Tend to think that poorsod is right and that NSM is at their best w/ a DB.post #9472 of 140388/6/13 at 10:40amI think it looks very nice, jester, however I think bengal stripes are better than the fancier stripes for simplicity. Also being that the shirt is linen I think a more summery tie would be better, maybe a linen, knit, or shantung tie. The colors all look great though. Also, in this particular outfit, which isn't really formalI wouldn't pair with a white linen square, but a puffed square of sorts. White linen, imo, should be reserved for a suit.post #9473 of 140388/6/13 at 10:46amQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
I like the tie. Is the consensus that, when wearing black ties, one should also wear black shoes? I was considering a light gray suit (similar to yours) with a burgundy stripe shirt, black grenadine tie, and walnut or black shoes. In my mind, the walnut looks good, but I'm not fully convinced.
i think it really depends on the fit as a whole. but im no expert.
that being said, unbel, i quite like your fit. what shoes?
jester - i like it.post #9474 of 140388/6/13 at 10:48amQuote:
The camera isn't at eye level so it makes the lapels look a little higher than they are. They aren't actually above the shoulder line, although they are close.
I think you're wrong about the blue shirt though. Brown suit + black knit + white shirt I like. Sure it's linen and it's wrinkled, but it's a DB suit, and the black tie is going to make for a lot of contrast anyway.post #9475 of 140388/6/13 at 10:55amQuote:Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think it looks very nice, jester, however I think bengal stripes are better than the fancier stripes for simplicity. Also being that the shirt is linen I think a more summery tie would be better, maybe a linen, knit, or shantung tie. The colors all look great though. Also, in this particular outfit, which isn't really formalI wouldn't pair with a white linen square, but a puffed square of sorts. White linen, imo, should be reserved for a suit.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.
Unfortuantely the bengal stripe and a few other shirts (four to be exact) that could be paired with more outfits on par with this thread are being remade so they'll have more room and are less slim-fitting (which leads to a longer lifespan due to no stretching). Soon enough I'll be able to post more fits, I just had this one on hand. I have plenty of shirts, but most are more casual or patterns I've learned aren't flattering to what I've considered to be more or less, my personal style now.
The tie is a 6-fold, it was light enough I felt like I was hardly wearing a tie at all. I'll look in to more linen ties. I have plenty of knits, I just really don't like the drape they make - the tie looks dead for some reason. Not sure if I'm conveying my thoughts correctly. But I'll sneak some in. As a side note, I LOVE the Neat pattern and I think I'll get plenty of Neat and wide stripes.
I'm going to pick up some PS's in the future but this area is probably one I'll keep to shallow waters on, due to the fact that I've never seen one in the wild. I am in Phoenix, after all. It's the style deadzone of the West. I may not be able to follow your idea of linen squares for suits too often, but I'll do my best to consider it.
Over all, my life doesn't require me to wear too many things in good taste. Actually, it pushes away from things in any sort of taste at all. I'll post fits from shows/concerts/weddings/etc from time to time to make sure, at the very least, I've got something close to good taste.post #9476 of 140388/6/13 at 11:03ampost #9477 of 140388/6/13 at 11:09ampost #9478 of 140388/6/13 at 11:33ampost #9479 of 140388/6/13 at 11:38am
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 1 minute ago
- › Viberg Boots 3 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Shoe care questions from a newbie (yes, I've done thorough research) 6 minutes ago
- › Help ID the maker of this beautiful bespoke shoe? 7 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 10 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 11 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 12 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 16 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...