Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 11/15/13 at 12:30pm in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 632post #9466 of 121338/6/13 at 7:20am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #9467 of 121338/6/13 at 7:23ampost #9468 of 121338/6/13 at 7:49ampost #9469 of 121338/6/13 at 10:05ampost #9470 of 121338/6/13 at 10:14am
This isn't something I wore today but, in the interest of actual critiques from members I believe could contribute to enhancing my style, I wanted to post these for critique. They were well received in the HOF thread, which is where I'd post more of my fits that I believe to be on the more conservative end, though the thread tends to taper back and forth.
I urge everyone to 'pretend' there is a white linen PS in there. I had ordered one but it's lost somewhere in the abyss that is USPS and I refuse to order another until it is sorted out.
Shirt/pants are linen. The shirt is actually a pencil-stripe and here is a closeup of the fabric:
What would the fit have gotten in points, and why?
Thanks!post #9471 of 121338/6/13 at 10:40am
The flying lapels are a bit much.
Would have been better w/ a blue shirt IMO - wrinkled linen + brown don't really seem to go w/ a stark white shirt.
Like the shape of the jacket. Tend to think that poorsod is right and that NSM is at their best w/ a DB.post #9472 of 121338/6/13 at 10:40amI think it looks very nice, jester, however I think bengal stripes are better than the fancier stripes for simplicity. Also being that the shirt is linen I think a more summery tie would be better, maybe a linen, knit, or shantung tie. The colors all look great though. Also, in this particular outfit, which isn't really formalI wouldn't pair with a white linen square, but a puffed square of sorts. White linen, imo, should be reserved for a suit.post #9473 of 121338/6/13 at 10:46amQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
I like the tie. Is the consensus that, when wearing black ties, one should also wear black shoes? I was considering a light gray suit (similar to yours) with a burgundy stripe shirt, black grenadine tie, and walnut or black shoes. In my mind, the walnut looks good, but I'm not fully convinced.
i think it really depends on the fit as a whole. but im no expert.
that being said, unbel, i quite like your fit. what shoes?
jester - i like it.post #9474 of 121338/6/13 at 10:48amQuote:
The camera isn't at eye level so it makes the lapels look a little higher than they are. They aren't actually above the shoulder line, although they are close.
I think you're wrong about the blue shirt though. Brown suit + black knit + white shirt I like. Sure it's linen and it's wrinkled, but it's a DB suit, and the black tie is going to make for a lot of contrast anyway.post #9475 of 121338/6/13 at 10:55amQuote:Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think it looks very nice, jester, however I think bengal stripes are better than the fancier stripes for simplicity. Also being that the shirt is linen I think a more summery tie would be better, maybe a linen, knit, or shantung tie. The colors all look great though. Also, in this particular outfit, which isn't really formalI wouldn't pair with a white linen square, but a puffed square of sorts. White linen, imo, should be reserved for a suit.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.
Unfortuantely the bengal stripe and a few other shirts (four to be exact) that could be paired with more outfits on par with this thread are being remade so they'll have more room and are less slim-fitting (which leads to a longer lifespan due to no stretching). Soon enough I'll be able to post more fits, I just had this one on hand. I have plenty of shirts, but most are more casual or patterns I've learned aren't flattering to what I've considered to be more or less, my personal style now.
The tie is a 6-fold, it was light enough I felt like I was hardly wearing a tie at all. I'll look in to more linen ties. I have plenty of knits, I just really don't like the drape they make - the tie looks dead for some reason. Not sure if I'm conveying my thoughts correctly. But I'll sneak some in. As a side note, I LOVE the Neat pattern and I think I'll get plenty of Neat and wide stripes.
I'm going to pick up some PS's in the future but this area is probably one I'll keep to shallow waters on, due to the fact that I've never seen one in the wild. I am in Phoenix, after all. It's the style deadzone of the West. I may not be able to follow your idea of linen squares for suits too often, but I'll do my best to consider it.
Over all, my life doesn't require me to wear too many things in good taste. Actually, it pushes away from things in any sort of taste at all. I'll post fits from shows/concerts/weddings/etc from time to time to make sure, at the very least, I've got something close to good taste.post #9476 of 121338/6/13 at 11:03ampost #9477 of 121338/6/13 at 11:09ampost #9478 of 121338/6/13 at 11:33ampost #9479 of 121338/6/13 at 11:38am
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread 49 seconds ago
- › WW Chan HK - strange experience, advice sought 2 minutes ago
- › PASSAGGIO CRAVATTE - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › 2014 50 Book Challenge 6 minutes ago
- › Best custom made shirts online? 13 minutes ago
- › Urgent! Where to get quality suiting fabric in Hong Kong? First... 20 minutes ago
- › J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013 21 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 23 minutes ago
- › NIB Meermin Navy Suede Tassel Loafer 9.5UK/10.5US $195 shipped 25 minutes ago
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers) by alyssaw