Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:16 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 7:16 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Fall Styles for the Tailored ManLast edited: 10/14/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 632post #9466 of 139968/6/13 at 7:20am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #9467 of 139968/6/13 at 7:23ampost #9468 of 139968/6/13 at 7:49ampost #9469 of 139968/6/13 at 10:05ampost #9470 of 139968/6/13 at 10:14am
This isn't something I wore today but, in the interest of actual critiques from members I believe could contribute to enhancing my style, I wanted to post these for critique. They were well received in the HOF thread, which is where I'd post more of my fits that I believe to be on the more conservative end, though the thread tends to taper back and forth.
I urge everyone to 'pretend' there is a white linen PS in there. I had ordered one but it's lost somewhere in the abyss that is USPS and I refuse to order another until it is sorted out.
Shirt/pants are linen. The shirt is actually a pencil-stripe and here is a closeup of the fabric:
What would the fit have gotten in points, and why?
Thanks!post #9471 of 139968/6/13 at 10:40am
The flying lapels are a bit much.
Would have been better w/ a blue shirt IMO - wrinkled linen + brown don't really seem to go w/ a stark white shirt.
Like the shape of the jacket. Tend to think that poorsod is right and that NSM is at their best w/ a DB.post #9472 of 139968/6/13 at 10:40amI think it looks very nice, jester, however I think bengal stripes are better than the fancier stripes for simplicity. Also being that the shirt is linen I think a more summery tie would be better, maybe a linen, knit, or shantung tie. The colors all look great though. Also, in this particular outfit, which isn't really formalI wouldn't pair with a white linen square, but a puffed square of sorts. White linen, imo, should be reserved for a suit.post #9473 of 139968/6/13 at 10:46amQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
I like the tie. Is the consensus that, when wearing black ties, one should also wear black shoes? I was considering a light gray suit (similar to yours) with a burgundy stripe shirt, black grenadine tie, and walnut or black shoes. In my mind, the walnut looks good, but I'm not fully convinced.
i think it really depends on the fit as a whole. but im no expert.
that being said, unbel, i quite like your fit. what shoes?
jester - i like it.post #9474 of 139968/6/13 at 10:48amQuote:
The camera isn't at eye level so it makes the lapels look a little higher than they are. They aren't actually above the shoulder line, although they are close.
I think you're wrong about the blue shirt though. Brown suit + black knit + white shirt I like. Sure it's linen and it's wrinkled, but it's a DB suit, and the black tie is going to make for a lot of contrast anyway.post #9475 of 139968/6/13 at 10:55amQuote:Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think it looks very nice, jester, however I think bengal stripes are better than the fancier stripes for simplicity. Also being that the shirt is linen I think a more summery tie would be better, maybe a linen, knit, or shantung tie. The colors all look great though. Also, in this particular outfit, which isn't really formalI wouldn't pair with a white linen square, but a puffed square of sorts. White linen, imo, should be reserved for a suit.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.
Unfortuantely the bengal stripe and a few other shirts (four to be exact) that could be paired with more outfits on par with this thread are being remade so they'll have more room and are less slim-fitting (which leads to a longer lifespan due to no stretching). Soon enough I'll be able to post more fits, I just had this one on hand. I have plenty of shirts, but most are more casual or patterns I've learned aren't flattering to what I've considered to be more or less, my personal style now.
The tie is a 6-fold, it was light enough I felt like I was hardly wearing a tie at all. I'll look in to more linen ties. I have plenty of knits, I just really don't like the drape they make - the tie looks dead for some reason. Not sure if I'm conveying my thoughts correctly. But I'll sneak some in. As a side note, I LOVE the Neat pattern and I think I'll get plenty of Neat and wide stripes.
I'm going to pick up some PS's in the future but this area is probably one I'll keep to shallow waters on, due to the fact that I've never seen one in the wild. I am in Phoenix, after all. It's the style deadzone of the West. I may not be able to follow your idea of linen squares for suits too often, but I'll do my best to consider it.
Over all, my life doesn't require me to wear too many things in good taste. Actually, it pushes away from things in any sort of taste at all. I'll post fits from shows/concerts/weddings/etc from time to time to make sure, at the very least, I've got something close to good taste.post #9476 of 139968/6/13 at 11:03ampost #9477 of 139968/6/13 at 11:09ampost #9478 of 139968/6/13 at 11:33ampost #9479 of 139968/6/13 at 11:38am
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Recent purchases - Part II 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 4 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 4 minutes ago
- › Technical Outerwear 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Apolis | Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread 9 minutes ago
- › The Official BLUE BLUE JAPAN thread - all things indigo, many... 18 minutes ago
- › ***FS: 2 Napoli Su Misura Navy Sport Coats US 38/40 *** 18 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories