or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 632

post #9466 of 13315
I chose black.
post #9467 of 13315

Black seems ideal to me

post #9468 of 13315
post #9469 of 13315


post #9470 of 13315

This isn't something I wore today but, in the interest of actual critiques from members I believe could contribute to enhancing my style, I wanted to post these for critique. They were well received in the HOF thread, which is where I'd post more of my fits that I believe to be on the more conservative end, though the thread tends to taper back and forth.

 

I urge everyone to 'pretend' there is a white linen PS in there. I had ordered one but it's lost somewhere in the abyss that is USPS and I refuse to order another until it is sorted out.

 

 

 

Shirt/pants are linen. The shirt is actually a pencil-stripe and here is a closeup of the fabric:

 

What would the fit have gotten in foo.gif points, and why?

 

Thanks!

post #9471 of 13315
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

[IMG]

The flying lapels are a bit much.

Would have been better w/ a blue shirt IMO - wrinkled linen + brown don't really seem to go w/ a stark white shirt.

Like the shape of the jacket. Tend to think that poorsod is right and that NSM is at their best w/ a DB.
post #9472 of 13315
I think it looks very nice, jester, however I think bengal stripes are better than the fancier stripes for simplicity. Also being that the shirt is linen I think a more summery tie would be better, maybe a linen, knit, or shantung tie. The colors all look great though. Also, in this particular outfit, which isn't really formalI wouldn't pair with a white linen square, but a puffed square of sorts. White linen, imo, should be reserved for a suit.
post #9473 of 13315
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

I like the tie. Is the consensus that, when wearing black ties, one should also wear black shoes? I was considering a light gray suit (similar to yours) with a burgundy stripe shirt, black grenadine tie, and walnut or black shoes. In my mind, the walnut looks good, but I'm not fully convinced.

i think it really depends on the fit as a whole. but im no expert.

that being said, unbel, i quite like your fit. what shoes?

jester - i like it.
post #9474 of 13315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

The flying lapels are a bit much.

Would have been better w/ a blue shirt IMO - wrinkled linen + brown don't really seem to go w/ a stark white shirt.

Like the shape of the jacket. Tend to think that poorsod is right and that NSM is at their best w/ a DB.

The camera isn't at eye level so it makes the lapels look a little higher than they are. They aren't actually above the shoulder line, although they are close.

I think you're wrong about the blue shirt though. Brown suit + black knit + white shirt I like. Sure it's linen and it's wrinkled, but it's a DB suit, and the black tie is going to make for a lot of contrast anyway.
post #9475 of 13315
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I think it looks very nice, jester, however I think bengal stripes are better than the fancier stripes for simplicity. Also being that the shirt is linen I think a more summery tie would be better, maybe a linen, knit, or shantung tie. The colors all look great though. Also, in this particular outfit, which isn't really formalI wouldn't pair with a white linen square, but a puffed square of sorts. White linen, imo, should be reserved for a suit.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

 

Unfortuantely the bengal stripe and a few other shirts (four to be exact) that could be paired with more outfits on par with this thread are being remade so they'll have more room and are less slim-fitting (which leads to a longer lifespan due to no stretching). Soon enough I'll be able to post more fits, I just had this one on hand. I have plenty of shirts, but most are more casual or patterns I've learned aren't flattering to what I've considered to be more or less, my personal style now.

 

The tie is a 6-fold, it was light enough I felt like I was hardly wearing a tie at all. I'll look in to more linen ties. I have plenty of knits, I just really don't like the drape they make - the tie looks dead for some reason. Not sure if I'm conveying my thoughts correctly. But I'll sneak some in. As a side note, I LOVE the Neat pattern and I think I'll get plenty of Neat and wide stripes.

 

I'm going to pick up some PS's in the future but this area is probably one I'll keep to shallow waters on, due to the fact that I've never seen one in the wild. I am in Phoenix, after all. It's the style deadzone of the West. I may not be able to follow your idea of linen squares for suits too often, but I'll do my best to consider it.

 

Over all, my life doesn't require me to wear too many things in good taste. Actually, it pushes away from things in any sort of taste at all. I'll post fits from shows/concerts/weddings/etc from time to time to make sure, at the very least, I've got something close to good taste.

post #9476 of 13315
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

that being said, unbel, i quite like your fit. what shoes?

G&G Grant in dark oak.
post #9477 of 13315
UBR, I guess we must accept your assertion about the (barely) grounded nature of the lapels. I concur with your use of the white shirt. But I have been accused of tastelessness before...
post #9478 of 13315
Unbel, do you have a cream or off-white shirt? If so, have you tried it with brown suit? I have an ivory linen shirt and a length of cream Triplo waiting to be made up.

Yesterday I wore a DB brown fresco with a blue bengal stripe shirt and Shantung silk tie.
post #9479 of 13315
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

Unbel, do you have a cream or off-white shirt? If so, have you tried it with brown suit? I have an ivory linen shirt and a length of cream Triplo waiting to be made up.

I don't, but that's a good idea. Thanks.
post #9480 of 13315
Don Vincenzo (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post




Nice color choice for the linen, enjoy it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread