Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:47 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 7:22 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Fall Styles for the Tailored ManLast edited: 10/14/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 598post #8956 of 139965/23/13 at 5:23pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #8957 of 139965/23/13 at 5:46pmpost #8958 of 139965/23/13 at 5:55pmpost #8959 of 139965/23/13 at 8:37pmpost #8960 of 139965/23/13 at 8:51pmpost #8961 of 139965/23/13 at 9:37pmpost #8962 of 139965/23/13 at 9:45pm
Ok, I'm happy to conduct a little experiment. If you can give some concrete suggestions about what would have worked, e.g. "brown tie, grey sweater" as hayward mentioned, I will do that (providing I have what you're asking) and repost the picture.
No egos will be bruised in the making of this ...post #8963 of 139965/23/13 at 9:54pmpost #8964 of 139965/23/13 at 10:06pmQuote:
Agree on point one. That's one of my ties, and they tie much better with a single four in hand as do pretty much most ties.
Point 2, Gerry like me is in Australia, we are 5 days away from winter starting and where I live it will be -2 tonight. You'll have to trust me that in autumn/winter here we need to layer to keep warm. Oz isn't all beaches and sunshine I'm afraid.post #8965 of 139965/23/13 at 10:53pm
Before this turns into a discussion about cardigans with sportscoats (again!) and acceptable tie knots, can people please keep their comments/critique in line with Manton's original post in this thread:Quote:Originally Posted by Manton
I will say this once and then I intend never to address the issue again.
This is not the fit critique thread. I don't have the time, inclination, nor a professional photographer on staff to take static poses that show my clothes without a ripple. All the pics of myself will be taken by me with a bent arm and hence the jacket askew. Please pay attention to the color and fabric combinations, which is the point.
That's what this thread is about.post #8966 of 139965/24/13 at 1:27ampost #8967 of 139965/24/13 at 1:59ampost #8968 of 139965/24/13 at 4:24amQuote:
Thanks, lad. The cold gets into your bones once you get over 65, know what I mean? Once you get to my age, you'll understand.
As an aside, after the initial comment, I re-tied the tie with a single four in hand knot and I think that did look better.post #8969 of 139965/24/13 at 7:29ampost #8970 of 139965/24/13 at 8:12am
I'm no expert on clothes, but I guess we could think of this as like an art school crit? If so, y'all can either listen, or disregard me entirely, or ignore the parts where I just don't "get it." If anybody disagrees with me, please, let me know, because I'm trying to learn, too.
Gerry, I feel like what messes me up a little bit is the combination of the tie and the sweater. I was thinking it could be the suit (suit or SC?) and the sweater, given that the suit is in what I tend to think of as "Italian luxury fabric," with strong pattern but little texture, and then the sweater is a functional touch, better suited (in my mind) to a sort of English cloth -- one with either more texture/weight or less color.
Then, it occured to me that I've seen cardigan sweaters under that kind of suit before, and it's clicked for me in a way this wasn't quite working. I think it's the tie. This one is rather silky, and a bit too shiny (especially with the woven pattern). It's also too red -- it looks a little off with the mossy sweater. It's like the two elements are pulling me in different directions, in terms of color. I think a brown cashmere tie would be excellent here, or perhaps a brown knit. That would limit your color palette a little bit, and remove a pattern -- I agree with Stitches that that is a good idea. Heck, if you were to wear this with a solid blue shirt and a solid brown tie, I think you'd be doing very well. If you stick with the patterned shirt, you might want to reconsider the square (or perhaps just re-arrange it, if it's a pictorial pattern).
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 17 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 12 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 15 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 16 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 25 minutes ago
- › Rogue Territory: Handmade Denim Goods 27 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 33 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 43 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories