Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on Today at 6:05 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:59 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 11:08 am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 9:10 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 598post #8956 of 139495/23/13 at 5:23pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #8957 of 139495/23/13 at 5:46pmpost #8958 of 139495/23/13 at 5:55pmpost #8959 of 139495/23/13 at 8:37pmpost #8960 of 139495/23/13 at 8:51pmpost #8961 of 139495/23/13 at 9:37pmpost #8962 of 139495/23/13 at 9:45pm
Ok, I'm happy to conduct a little experiment. If you can give some concrete suggestions about what would have worked, e.g. "brown tie, grey sweater" as hayward mentioned, I will do that (providing I have what you're asking) and repost the picture.
No egos will be bruised in the making of this ...post #8963 of 139495/23/13 at 9:54pmpost #8964 of 139495/23/13 at 10:06pmQuote:
Agree on point one. That's one of my ties, and they tie much better with a single four in hand as do pretty much most ties.
Point 2, Gerry like me is in Australia, we are 5 days away from winter starting and where I live it will be -2 tonight. You'll have to trust me that in autumn/winter here we need to layer to keep warm. Oz isn't all beaches and sunshine I'm afraid.post #8965 of 139495/23/13 at 10:53pm
Before this turns into a discussion about cardigans with sportscoats (again!) and acceptable tie knots, can people please keep their comments/critique in line with Manton's original post in this thread:Quote:Originally Posted by Manton
I will say this once and then I intend never to address the issue again.
This is not the fit critique thread. I don't have the time, inclination, nor a professional photographer on staff to take static poses that show my clothes without a ripple. All the pics of myself will be taken by me with a bent arm and hence the jacket askew. Please pay attention to the color and fabric combinations, which is the point.
That's what this thread is about.post #8966 of 139495/24/13 at 1:27ampost #8967 of 139495/24/13 at 1:59ampost #8968 of 139495/24/13 at 4:24amQuote:
Thanks, lad. The cold gets into your bones once you get over 65, know what I mean? Once you get to my age, you'll understand.
As an aside, after the initial comment, I re-tied the tie with a single four in hand knot and I think that did look better.post #8969 of 139495/24/13 at 7:29ampost #8970 of 139495/24/13 at 8:12am
I'm no expert on clothes, but I guess we could think of this as like an art school crit? If so, y'all can either listen, or disregard me entirely, or ignore the parts where I just don't "get it." If anybody disagrees with me, please, let me know, because I'm trying to learn, too.
Gerry, I feel like what messes me up a little bit is the combination of the tie and the sweater. I was thinking it could be the suit (suit or SC?) and the sweater, given that the suit is in what I tend to think of as "Italian luxury fabric," with strong pattern but little texture, and then the sweater is a functional touch, better suited (in my mind) to a sort of English cloth -- one with either more texture/weight or less color.
Then, it occured to me that I've seen cardigan sweaters under that kind of suit before, and it's clicked for me in a way this wasn't quite working. I think it's the tie. This one is rather silky, and a bit too shiny (especially with the woven pattern). It's also too red -- it looks a little off with the mossy sweater. It's like the two elements are pulling me in different directions, in terms of color. I think a brown cashmere tie would be excellent here, or perhaps a brown knit. That would limit your color palette a little bit, and remove a pattern -- I agree with Stitches that that is a good idea. Heck, if you were to wear this with a solid blue shirt and a solid brown tie, I think you'd be doing very well. If you stick with the patterned shirt, you might want to reconsider the square (or perhaps just re-arrange it, if it's a pictorial pattern).
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 29 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 34 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 41 seconds ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 2 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 7 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang RTW Pants 8 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 8 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Apple Discussion Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...