Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 583post #8731 of 126034/8/13 at 7:39am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #8732 of 126034/8/13 at 7:50ampost #8733 of 126034/8/13 at 8:35ampost #8734 of 126034/8/13 at 9:15amQuote:
The problem is that it's mixing city and country too much. He's got a CBD city suit with a shaggy wool tie and a checked shirt. The pattern and color matching is fine, but the whole thing is somewhat discordant because of the mixed levels of formality.post #8735 of 126034/8/13 at 9:43am
Not to pile on Gerry, but I don't think I quite agree with either Big Texas or aravenel. I'm afraid what damages this rig for me is the shirt. I think the two plaids don't quite get along. The same thing with a solid shirt would be more to my taste.
I don't really think the wool tie is too discordant with suit. Yes, it's a country touch, but that doesn't make it a mess. It's a touch edgy for this thread to wear one with so much texture. I think one of those ties made out of a worsted sportcoat-type fabric could be really excellent here -- the kind of tie that got so much hate from and others with sport coats.post #8736 of 126034/8/13 at 1:10pmPile on as long as you have valid critique to offer and you all do . The other elements of the outfit were flannel trousers and suede oxfords. The mixture of city and country was its undoing here. It's autumn here as well so I think a, more textured sport coat and a more autumnal square might have done the trick.
I do appreciate all the comments.post #8737 of 126034/8/13 at 1:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson
Pile on as long as you have valid critique to offer and you all do . The other elements of the outfit were flannel trousers and suede oxfords. The mixture of city and country was its undoing here. It's autumn here as well so I think a, more textured sport coat and a more autumnal square might have done the trick.
I do appreciate all the comments.
I think most thought this was a suit jacket. I know I did. What type of hip pockets do you have on this jacket (flap or patch)? I think the jacket fabric and style are very suit-like, so much so that it doesn't make a great odd jacket. I have one of these too that received a similar critique.
If you had a more definitively "odd" odd jacket, I think you would be fine with your wool tie. What color are the trousers? Mid-gray? Also, where are you located?post #8738 of 126034/8/13 at 1:39pmpost #8739 of 126034/8/13 at 8:07pm
I'd like the fuzzy tie more with the gray flannels and suede.
The second one... it's a blue shirt with a super-wide white stripe? I think that kind of stripe looks a little dated, and I think Manton's not a fan, either. I think it could be cool with a sportcoat. Maybe a subtle check and a knit tie? That might be cool.
The square's paisley repeats the one from the tie, and the color is kinda close to the jacket. That said, I sort of covet it, and would love it against gray herringbone tweed.post #8740 of 126034/9/13 at 5:06ampost #8741 of 126034/9/13 at 5:28ampost #8742 of 126034/9/13 at 6:40amThread Starterpost #8743 of 126034/9/13 at 6:42ampost #8744 of 126034/9/13 at 6:44amThread Starterpost #8745 of 126034/9/13 at 6:49amQuote:
So . . . it's nothing at all like sb's tie! It lacks any of the offending elements. Makes sense. Kos had some sweet stuff. We passed by his new place earlier this year. Whoah.
Poor tubo . . .
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › QUODDY CANOE MOC CAVALIER WHISKEY SIZE 9 37 seconds ago
- › Grenson Angus UK8.5G (US10) new without box 1 minute ago
- › Any One for a Scotch? 2 minutes ago
- › Proper Lapel Width for classic suit from W.W. Chan 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 5 minutes ago
- › WTB: Solid Gray or Charcoal 38/40R suit 6 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 7 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Grenson Archie Shoe sizing question 11 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...