or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 583

post #8731 of 12603
JP knows whats what. nod[1].gif
post #8732 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

 

You have a good eye for pattern combination, but this is a borderline crossing of the boundaries of good taste. It almost seems too affected, though objectively, it does look nice. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the tie, in particular.

post #8733 of 12603
post #8734 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post

You have a good eye for pattern combination, but this is a borderline crossing of the boundaries of good taste. It almost seems too affected, though objectively, it does look nice. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the tie, in particular.

The problem is that it's mixing city and country too much. He's got a CBD city suit with a shaggy wool tie and a checked shirt. The pattern and color matching is fine, but the whole thing is somewhat discordant because of the mixed levels of formality.
post #8735 of 12603

Not to pile on Gerry, but I don't think I quite agree with either Big Texas or aravenel. I'm afraid what damages this rig for me is the shirt. I think the two plaids don't quite get along. The same thing with a solid shirt would be more to my taste.

 

I don't really think the wool tie is too discordant with suit. Yes, it's a country touch, but that doesn't make it a mess. It's a touch edgy for this thread to wear one with so much texture. I think one of those ties made out of a worsted sportcoat-type fabric could be really excellent here -- the kind of tie that got so much hate from foo.gif and others with sport coats.

post #8736 of 12603
Pile on as long as you have valid critique to offer and you all do . The other elements of the outfit were flannel trousers and suede oxfords. The mixture of city and country was its undoing here. It's autumn here as well so I think a, more textured sport coat and a more autumnal square might have done the trick.

I do appreciate all the comments.
post #8737 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

Pile on as long as you have valid critique to offer and you all do . The other elements of the outfit were flannel trousers and suede oxfords. The mixture of city and country was its undoing here. It's autumn here as well so I think a, more textured sport coat and a more autumnal square might have done the trick.

I do appreciate all the comments.

I think most thought this was a suit jacket. I know I did. What type of hip pockets do you have on this jacket (flap or patch)? I think the jacket fabric and style are very suit-like, so much so that it doesn't make a great odd jacket. I have one of these too that received a similar critique.

 

If you had a more definitively "odd" odd jacket, I think you would be fine with your wool tie. What color are the trousers? Mid-gray? Also, where are you located?

post #8738 of 12603
The pockets are flapped and the buttons are horn. The trousers were mid-grey. I think an odder odd jacket would have worked better as well.

I'm in Melbourne in Australia.

What about this:

Edited by Gerry Nelson - 4/8/13 at 4:09pm
post #8739 of 12603

I'd like the fuzzy tie more with the gray flannels and suede.

 

The second one... it's a blue shirt with a super-wide white stripe? I think that kind of stripe looks a little dated, and I think Manton's not a fan, either. I think it could be cool with a sportcoat. Maybe a subtle check and a knit tie? That might be cool.

 

The square's paisley repeats the one from the tie, and the color is kinda close to the jacket. That said, I sort of covet it, and would love it against gray herringbone tweed.

post #8740 of 12603
AppleMark
post #8741 of 12603

That's identical almost to a tee to an outfit I'll wear once my sam hober arrives (even the shirt's arched collar).

 

I think a light blue shirt might look better here though.

post #8742 of 12603
Thread Starter 
i am wearing my version of the hated sugarbutch tie today.
post #8743 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

i am wearing my version of the hated sugarbutch tie today.

Carefully count how many "nice tie" compliments you get. That's the only scientific way of comparing how similar your tie is to his.
post #8744 of 12603
Thread Starter 
the blue on mine is duller and there is no yellow. the stripes are light green and silver. Oh, and it came from Jay Kos!
post #8745 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

the blue on mine is duller and there is no yellow. the stripes are light green and silver. Oh, and it came from Jay Kos!

So . . . it's nothing at all like sb's tie! It lacks any of the offending elements. Makes sense. Kos had some sweet stuff. We passed by his new place earlier this year. Whoah.

Poor tubo . . . frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread