Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:19 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 11:51 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 1:43 am in Classic Menswear
- ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ Last post on Yesterday at 11:48 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 583post #8731 of 139344/8/13 at 7:39am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #8732 of 139344/8/13 at 7:50ampost #8733 of 139344/8/13 at 8:35ampost #8734 of 139344/8/13 at 9:15amQuote:
The problem is that it's mixing city and country too much. He's got a CBD city suit with a shaggy wool tie and a checked shirt. The pattern and color matching is fine, but the whole thing is somewhat discordant because of the mixed levels of formality.post #8735 of 139344/8/13 at 9:43am
Not to pile on Gerry, but I don't think I quite agree with either Big Texas or aravenel. I'm afraid what damages this rig for me is the shirt. I think the two plaids don't quite get along. The same thing with a solid shirt would be more to my taste.
I don't really think the wool tie is too discordant with suit. Yes, it's a country touch, but that doesn't make it a mess. It's a touch edgy for this thread to wear one with so much texture. I think one of those ties made out of a worsted sportcoat-type fabric could be really excellent here -- the kind of tie that got so much hate from and others with sport coats.post #8736 of 139344/8/13 at 1:10pmPile on as long as you have valid critique to offer and you all do . The other elements of the outfit were flannel trousers and suede oxfords. The mixture of city and country was its undoing here. It's autumn here as well so I think a, more textured sport coat and a more autumnal square might have done the trick.
I do appreciate all the comments.post #8737 of 139344/8/13 at 1:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson
Pile on as long as you have valid critique to offer and you all do . The other elements of the outfit were flannel trousers and suede oxfords. The mixture of city and country was its undoing here. It's autumn here as well so I think a, more textured sport coat and a more autumnal square might have done the trick.
I do appreciate all the comments.
I think most thought this was a suit jacket. I know I did. What type of hip pockets do you have on this jacket (flap or patch)? I think the jacket fabric and style are very suit-like, so much so that it doesn't make a great odd jacket. I have one of these too that received a similar critique.
If you had a more definitively "odd" odd jacket, I think you would be fine with your wool tie. What color are the trousers? Mid-gray? Also, where are you located?post #8738 of 139344/8/13 at 1:39pmpost #8739 of 139344/8/13 at 8:07pm
I'd like the fuzzy tie more with the gray flannels and suede.
The second one... it's a blue shirt with a super-wide white stripe? I think that kind of stripe looks a little dated, and I think Manton's not a fan, either. I think it could be cool with a sportcoat. Maybe a subtle check and a knit tie? That might be cool.
The square's paisley repeats the one from the tie, and the color is kinda close to the jacket. That said, I sort of covet it, and would love it against gray herringbone tweed.post #8740 of 139344/9/13 at 5:06ampost #8741 of 139344/9/13 at 5:28ampost #8742 of 139344/9/13 at 6:40amThread Starterpost #8743 of 139344/9/13 at 6:42ampost #8744 of 139344/9/13 at 6:44amThread Starterpost #8745 of 139344/9/13 at 6:49amQuote:
So . . . it's nothing at all like sb's tie! It lacks any of the offending elements. Makes sense. Kos had some sweet stuff. We passed by his new place earlier this year. Whoah.
Poor tubo . . .
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 26 seconds ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 3 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 3 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 4 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 5 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 7 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 7 minutes ago
- › LOAFER IDENTIFICATION 11 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan