Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:10 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 5:28 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 583post #8731 of 141234/8/13 at 7:39ampost #8732 of 141234/8/13 at 7:50ampost #8733 of 141234/8/13 at 8:35ampost #8734 of 141234/8/13 at 9:15amQuote:
The problem is that it's mixing city and country too much. He's got a CBD city suit with a shaggy wool tie and a checked shirt. The pattern and color matching is fine, but the whole thing is somewhat discordant because of the mixed levels of formality.post #8735 of 141234/8/13 at 9:43am
Not to pile on Gerry, but I don't think I quite agree with either Big Texas or aravenel. I'm afraid what damages this rig for me is the shirt. I think the two plaids don't quite get along. The same thing with a solid shirt would be more to my taste.
I don't really think the wool tie is too discordant with suit. Yes, it's a country touch, but that doesn't make it a mess. It's a touch edgy for this thread to wear one with so much texture. I think one of those ties made out of a worsted sportcoat-type fabric could be really excellent here -- the kind of tie that got so much hate from and others with sport coats.post #8736 of 141234/8/13 at 1:10pmPile on as long as you have valid critique to offer and you all do . The other elements of the outfit were flannel trousers and suede oxfords. The mixture of city and country was its undoing here. It's autumn here as well so I think a, more textured sport coat and a more autumnal square might have done the trick.
I do appreciate all the comments.post #8737 of 141234/8/13 at 1:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson
Pile on as long as you have valid critique to offer and you all do . The other elements of the outfit were flannel trousers and suede oxfords. The mixture of city and country was its undoing here. It's autumn here as well so I think a, more textured sport coat and a more autumnal square might have done the trick.
I do appreciate all the comments.
I think most thought this was a suit jacket. I know I did. What type of hip pockets do you have on this jacket (flap or patch)? I think the jacket fabric and style are very suit-like, so much so that it doesn't make a great odd jacket. I have one of these too that received a similar critique.
If you had a more definitively "odd" odd jacket, I think you would be fine with your wool tie. What color are the trousers? Mid-gray? Also, where are you located?post #8738 of 141234/8/13 at 1:39pmpost #8739 of 141234/8/13 at 8:07pm
I'd like the fuzzy tie more with the gray flannels and suede.
The second one... it's a blue shirt with a super-wide white stripe? I think that kind of stripe looks a little dated, and I think Manton's not a fan, either. I think it could be cool with a sportcoat. Maybe a subtle check and a knit tie? That might be cool.
The square's paisley repeats the one from the tie, and the color is kinda close to the jacket. That said, I sort of covet it, and would love it against gray herringbone tweed.post #8740 of 141234/9/13 at 5:06ampost #8741 of 141234/9/13 at 5:28ampost #8742 of 141234/9/13 at 6:40amThread Starterpost #8743 of 141234/9/13 at 6:42ampost #8744 of 141234/9/13 at 6:44amThread Starterpost #8745 of 141234/9/13 at 6:49amQuote:
So . . . it's nothing at all like sb's tie! It lacks any of the offending elements. Makes sense. Kos had some sweet stuff. We passed by his new place earlier this year. Whoah.
Poor tubo . . .
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Offical Barbour Thread 59 seconds ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 2 minutes ago
- › Please ID leather jacket worn by David Blaine 2 minutes ago
- › The Armoury - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 7 minutes ago
- › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. 7 minutes ago
- › CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 7 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...