Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on Today at 5:27 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:40 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 6:20 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 7:36 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 573post #8581 of 139494/4/13 at 1:28pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #8582 of 139494/4/13 at 1:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
Thoughtful critique takes even more effort than shooting and uploading photos. I used to consider it worthwhile, as I believe it's infinitely more helpful than simply admiring an outfit. After all, an outfit is just a snapshot at the end of a long, intricately dynamic process. If you try to learn from an outfit, without working on understanding how it came to be, you are at best going to walk away with a neat costume idea. You have to develop and refine the process of dressing to improve your style. That involves thinking about clothes with far more care and consideration than you're probably used to, not so much buying the right tie on your next trip to the mall.
The problem is that very few people have the patience, confidence, and commitment to really learn this stuff. People here tend to take criticism of their clothing choices far too personally. They post outfits with the hidden assumption that they will, naturally, find nothing but applause and admiration. So, when someone with demonstrable taste explains that a proudly-posted outfit is actually no good, what is the result? Tantrums and sour grapes. Next thing you know, the person offering the critique is under attack. So, then, fuck it: Give me deets on that tie. It really pops! If you think that's obnoxious, you now know how I feel.
oh please stop acting like a victim. People don't give Manton, Doc, Dopey or any other the other resident critics as much shit and they offer as much and if not better critique than you do. Plus they have a way of not making the thread all about themselves.
Edited by Tirailleur1 - 4/4/13 at 1:58pmpost #8583 of 139494/4/13 at 1:33pmpost #8584 of 139494/4/13 at 1:34pmpost #8585 of 139494/4/13 at 1:45pmQuote:
Linen frays faster than cotton? Interesting.
Also, I had no idea you only wore white shirts. I really couldn't live with that myself. A white shirt and odd jacket is a troubling juxtaposition.post #8586 of 139494/4/13 at 1:49pmpost #8587 of 139494/4/13 at 2:00pmpost #8588 of 139494/4/13 at 2:02pm
Anything that is very crisp will ultimately lead to faster fraying. Think of brittle bones, mohair and so on. It creases so well, it soon breaks. Also, stay away, (I know it will be hard after the Riva) from very fine yarns. Over 120's is off limits. 2/100 is good. My one shirt is made with 3/80's.post #8589 of 139494/4/13 at 2:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Anything that is very crisp will ultimately lead to faster fraying. Think of brittle bones, mohair and so on. It creases so well, it soon breaks. Also, stay away, (I know it will be hard after the Riva) from very fine yarns. Over 120's is off limits. 2/100 is good. My one shirt is made with 3/80's.
Makes sense when you put it that way--thanks. How does this bode for fresco?post #8590 of 139494/4/13 at 2:12pmpost #8591 of 139494/4/13 at 2:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
Ed is screwing with you. In his earnest assessment, that thread should be avoided like the plague. He might be right to some extent.
However, it's worth noting that this whole "OneShirt" thing isn't really new. Easily 80% of my shirts are solid blue (60% if not counting OCBDs). It's always worked for me, so I finally just gave the concept a pithy name. You are by no means treading dangerous, uncharted territory.
I have grown to hate my non blue shirts.
Ed is wrong about that thread. hws is killing it in there.post #8592 of 139494/4/13 at 5:01pmpost #8593 of 139494/4/13 at 5:20pmpost #8594 of 139494/4/13 at 5:30pm
Non-blue shirts can be fun.
Manton has annihilated my concept of "fun" clothing in the past, for good reason - it opens the door wide open to horrible taste.
Nonetheless, I love my "bad taste" red striped shirt. Shown today with a navy knit tie...
I'm not the only fan of this monstrosity...
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Your SW&D Essentials? (CM's Free For All Help Thread) 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › The Possibly Official Engineered Garments Trading Thread 7 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 7 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 9 minutes ago
- › Meermin Linea Maestro Dark Brown Oxfords US 9-9.5 10 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...