Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:29 am in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 1/9/17 at 6:36pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 573post #8581 of 141414/4/13 at 1:28pmpost #8582 of 141414/4/13 at 1:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
Thoughtful critique takes even more effort than shooting and uploading photos. I used to consider it worthwhile, as I believe it's infinitely more helpful than simply admiring an outfit. After all, an outfit is just a snapshot at the end of a long, intricately dynamic process. If you try to learn from an outfit, without working on understanding how it came to be, you are at best going to walk away with a neat costume idea. You have to develop and refine the process of dressing to improve your style. That involves thinking about clothes with far more care and consideration than you're probably used to, not so much buying the right tie on your next trip to the mall.
The problem is that very few people have the patience, confidence, and commitment to really learn this stuff. People here tend to take criticism of their clothing choices far too personally. They post outfits with the hidden assumption that they will, naturally, find nothing but applause and admiration. So, when someone with demonstrable taste explains that a proudly-posted outfit is actually no good, what is the result? Tantrums and sour grapes. Next thing you know, the person offering the critique is under attack. So, then, fuck it: Give me deets on that tie. It really pops! If you think that's obnoxious, you now know how I feel.
oh please stop acting like a victim. People don't give Manton, Doc, Dopey or any other the other resident critics as much shit and they offer as much and if not better critique than you do. Plus they have a way of not making the thread all about themselves.
Edited by Tirailleur1 - 4/4/13 at 1:58pmpost #8583 of 141414/4/13 at 1:33pmpost #8584 of 141414/4/13 at 1:34pmpost #8585 of 141414/4/13 at 1:45pmQuote:
Linen frays faster than cotton? Interesting.
Also, I had no idea you only wore white shirts. I really couldn't live with that myself. A white shirt and odd jacket is a troubling juxtaposition.post #8586 of 141414/4/13 at 1:49pmpost #8587 of 141414/4/13 at 2:00pmpost #8588 of 141414/4/13 at 2:02pm
Anything that is very crisp will ultimately lead to faster fraying. Think of brittle bones, mohair and so on. It creases so well, it soon breaks. Also, stay away, (I know it will be hard after the Riva) from very fine yarns. Over 120's is off limits. 2/100 is good. My one shirt is made with 3/80's.post #8589 of 141414/4/13 at 2:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Anything that is very crisp will ultimately lead to faster fraying. Think of brittle bones, mohair and so on. It creases so well, it soon breaks. Also, stay away, (I know it will be hard after the Riva) from very fine yarns. Over 120's is off limits. 2/100 is good. My one shirt is made with 3/80's.
Makes sense when you put it that way--thanks. How does this bode for fresco?post #8590 of 141414/4/13 at 2:12pmpost #8591 of 141414/4/13 at 2:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
Ed is screwing with you. In his earnest assessment, that thread should be avoided like the plague. He might be right to some extent.
However, it's worth noting that this whole "OneShirt" thing isn't really new. Easily 80% of my shirts are solid blue (60% if not counting OCBDs). It's always worked for me, so I finally just gave the concept a pithy name. You are by no means treading dangerous, uncharted territory.
I have grown to hate my non blue shirts.
Ed is wrong about that thread. hws is killing it in there.post #8592 of 141414/4/13 at 5:01pmpost #8593 of 141414/4/13 at 5:20pmpost #8594 of 141414/4/13 at 5:30pm
Non-blue shirts can be fun.
Manton has annihilated my concept of "fun" clothing in the past, for good reason - it opens the door wide open to horrible taste.
Nonetheless, I love my "bad taste" red striped shirt. Shown today with a navy knit tie...
I'm not the only fan of this monstrosity...post #8595 of 141414/4/13 at 5:35pm
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Recent purchases - Part II 19 seconds ago
- › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II 44 seconds ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 1 minute ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 2 minutes ago
- › On Tie Knots and Shirt Collars 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford Suit - Filleted and Gutted 3 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...