Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:27 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 9:47 pm in Classic Menswear
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 573post #8581 of 136534/4/13 at 1:28pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #8582 of 136534/4/13 at 1:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
Thoughtful critique takes even more effort than shooting and uploading photos. I used to consider it worthwhile, as I believe it's infinitely more helpful than simply admiring an outfit. After all, an outfit is just a snapshot at the end of a long, intricately dynamic process. If you try to learn from an outfit, without working on understanding how it came to be, you are at best going to walk away with a neat costume idea. You have to develop and refine the process of dressing to improve your style. That involves thinking about clothes with far more care and consideration than you're probably used to, not so much buying the right tie on your next trip to the mall.
The problem is that very few people have the patience, confidence, and commitment to really learn this stuff. People here tend to take criticism of their clothing choices far too personally. They post outfits with the hidden assumption that they will, naturally, find nothing but applause and admiration. So, when someone with demonstrable taste explains that a proudly-posted outfit is actually no good, what is the result? Tantrums and sour grapes. Next thing you know, the person offering the critique is under attack. So, then, fuck it: Give me deets on that tie. It really pops! If you think that's obnoxious, you now know how I feel.
oh please stop acting like a victim. People don't give Manton, Doc, Dopey or any other the other resident critics as much shit and they offer as much and if not better critique than you do. Plus they have a way of not making the thread all about themselves.
Edited by Tirailleur1 - 4/4/13 at 1:58pmpost #8583 of 136534/4/13 at 1:33pmpost #8584 of 136534/4/13 at 1:34pmpost #8585 of 136534/4/13 at 1:45pmQuote:
Linen frays faster than cotton? Interesting.
Also, I had no idea you only wore white shirts. I really couldn't live with that myself. A white shirt and odd jacket is a troubling juxtaposition.post #8586 of 136534/4/13 at 1:49pmpost #8587 of 136534/4/13 at 2:00pmpost #8588 of 136534/4/13 at 2:02pm
Anything that is very crisp will ultimately lead to faster fraying. Think of brittle bones, mohair and so on. It creases so well, it soon breaks. Also, stay away, (I know it will be hard after the Riva) from very fine yarns. Over 120's is off limits. 2/100 is good. My one shirt is made with 3/80's.post #8589 of 136534/4/13 at 2:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Anything that is very crisp will ultimately lead to faster fraying. Think of brittle bones, mohair and so on. It creases so well, it soon breaks. Also, stay away, (I know it will be hard after the Riva) from very fine yarns. Over 120's is off limits. 2/100 is good. My one shirt is made with 3/80's.
Makes sense when you put it that way--thanks. How does this bode for fresco?post #8590 of 136534/4/13 at 2:12pmpost #8591 of 136534/4/13 at 2:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
Ed is screwing with you. In his earnest assessment, that thread should be avoided like the plague. He might be right to some extent.
However, it's worth noting that this whole "OneShirt" thing isn't really new. Easily 80% of my shirts are solid blue (60% if not counting OCBDs). It's always worked for me, so I finally just gave the concept a pithy name. You are by no means treading dangerous, uncharted territory.
I have grown to hate my non blue shirts.
Ed is wrong about that thread. hws is killing it in there.post #8592 of 136534/4/13 at 5:01pmpost #8593 of 136534/4/13 at 5:20pmpost #8594 of 136534/4/13 at 5:30pm
Non-blue shirts can be fun.
Manton has annihilated my concept of "fun" clothing in the past, for good reason - it opens the door wide open to horrible taste.
Nonetheless, I love my "bad taste" red striped shirt. Shown today with a navy knit tie...
I'm not the only fan of this monstrosity...
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 1 second ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 22 seconds ago
- › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask... 1 minute ago
- › Cigars 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 5 minutes ago
- › Sole Welting 7 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...