Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:06 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 10:52 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 8:57 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 573post #8581 of 139624/4/13 at 1:28pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #8582 of 139624/4/13 at 1:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
Thoughtful critique takes even more effort than shooting and uploading photos. I used to consider it worthwhile, as I believe it's infinitely more helpful than simply admiring an outfit. After all, an outfit is just a snapshot at the end of a long, intricately dynamic process. If you try to learn from an outfit, without working on understanding how it came to be, you are at best going to walk away with a neat costume idea. You have to develop and refine the process of dressing to improve your style. That involves thinking about clothes with far more care and consideration than you're probably used to, not so much buying the right tie on your next trip to the mall.
The problem is that very few people have the patience, confidence, and commitment to really learn this stuff. People here tend to take criticism of their clothing choices far too personally. They post outfits with the hidden assumption that they will, naturally, find nothing but applause and admiration. So, when someone with demonstrable taste explains that a proudly-posted outfit is actually no good, what is the result? Tantrums and sour grapes. Next thing you know, the person offering the critique is under attack. So, then, fuck it: Give me deets on that tie. It really pops! If you think that's obnoxious, you now know how I feel.
oh please stop acting like a victim. People don't give Manton, Doc, Dopey or any other the other resident critics as much shit and they offer as much and if not better critique than you do. Plus they have a way of not making the thread all about themselves.
Edited by Tirailleur1 - 4/4/13 at 1:58pmpost #8583 of 139624/4/13 at 1:33pmpost #8584 of 139624/4/13 at 1:34pmpost #8585 of 139624/4/13 at 1:45pmQuote:
Linen frays faster than cotton? Interesting.
Also, I had no idea you only wore white shirts. I really couldn't live with that myself. A white shirt and odd jacket is a troubling juxtaposition.post #8586 of 139624/4/13 at 1:49pmpost #8587 of 139624/4/13 at 2:00pmpost #8588 of 139624/4/13 at 2:02pm
Anything that is very crisp will ultimately lead to faster fraying. Think of brittle bones, mohair and so on. It creases so well, it soon breaks. Also, stay away, (I know it will be hard after the Riva) from very fine yarns. Over 120's is off limits. 2/100 is good. My one shirt is made with 3/80's.post #8589 of 139624/4/13 at 2:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Anything that is very crisp will ultimately lead to faster fraying. Think of brittle bones, mohair and so on. It creases so well, it soon breaks. Also, stay away, (I know it will be hard after the Riva) from very fine yarns. Over 120's is off limits. 2/100 is good. My one shirt is made with 3/80's.
Makes sense when you put it that way--thanks. How does this bode for fresco?post #8590 of 139624/4/13 at 2:12pmpost #8591 of 139624/4/13 at 2:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
Ed is screwing with you. In his earnest assessment, that thread should be avoided like the plague. He might be right to some extent.
However, it's worth noting that this whole "OneShirt" thing isn't really new. Easily 80% of my shirts are solid blue (60% if not counting OCBDs). It's always worked for me, so I finally just gave the concept a pithy name. You are by no means treading dangerous, uncharted territory.
I have grown to hate my non blue shirts.
Ed is wrong about that thread. hws is killing it in there.post #8592 of 139624/4/13 at 5:01pmpost #8593 of 139624/4/13 at 5:20pmpost #8594 of 139624/4/13 at 5:30pm
Non-blue shirts can be fun.
Manton has annihilated my concept of "fun" clothing in the past, for good reason - it opens the door wide open to horrible taste.
Nonetheless, I love my "bad taste" red striped shirt. Shown today with a navy knit tie...
I'm not the only fan of this monstrosity...
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 22 seconds ago
- › VESTS / Stuff-carrying gear 2 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 11 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 23 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 26 minutes ago
- › Help me find this jacket 28 minutes ago
- › New Fashion Wholesalers or Dropshippers? 30 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 36 minutes ago
- › MC General Chat 39 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...