Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 12:18 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 7:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 510post #7636 of 139083/11/13 at 7:10am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7637 of 139083/11/13 at 7:13ampost #7638 of 139083/11/13 at 7:15amQuote:
I agree. It's not something I am inclined to wear very often so I wouldn't want to spend a fortune. Btw, they came with brown laces too. ;o)post #7639 of 139083/11/13 at 7:18am
I decided to go conservative with a white linen square today. Though it isn't obvious from the picture, the square is starting to take on a yellowish cast. It is only about 6 months old. I don't regularly expose it to sunlight or anything. What do you typically do with these? Embrace the yellow as a "patina" of sorts, buy new linen squares every few months, or bleach them?post #7640 of 139083/11/13 at 7:20amThread Starterpost #7641 of 139083/11/13 at 7:23ampost #7642 of 139083/11/13 at 7:24ampost #7643 of 139083/11/13 at 7:27amQuote:
Chalk stripes are high risk, high reward IMO. Done well, they are great. A mid-grey flannel chalkstripe three piece has been on my list of wants for quite a while. Done poorly, you look like a cartoon gangster.post #7644 of 139083/11/13 at 7:27ampost #7645 of 139083/11/13 at 7:35amQuote:
Honestly I try to avoid stripes as a general rule. It's easy to look bad no matter what the variation. I'd prefer a more textured solid or a plaid with overlay any day. That said, chalk stripes tend to only look good (IMO) in a flannel. Worsted quickly leads to gangsterland.post #7646 of 139083/11/13 at 7:37ampost #7647 of 139083/11/13 at 7:40amQuote:Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
Honestly I try to avoid stripes as a general rule. It's easy to look bad no matter what the variation. I'd prefer a more textured solid or a plaid with overlay any day. That said, chalk stripes tend to only look good (IMO) in a flannel. Worsted quickly leads to gangsterland.
I try to avoid solid suits, on the other hand. I know they're more versatile but stripes are more flattering for my phat *ss. I do agree that chalk stripes look way better on flannel...post #7648 of 139083/11/13 at 7:46amQuote:I was thinking about a brown tweed with a strong pattern. This look has too much solid. It isn't terrible or anything - but it also isn't making use of the black tie in a way that has much impact.
Since you can see the actual colors, what do you think?post #7649 of 139083/11/13 at 7:47amQuote:
That's a black tie? Looks like chocolate brown in the picture.
If it is black, what color shoes do you wear with something like this?post #7650 of 139083/11/13 at 7:48am
Sorry to interpose something perhaps off topic, but still a matter of issues of good taste.
Suspenders (Braces) with trousers and odd jackets? Yes or no?
I assume that as suspenders are not meant to be seen, then it shouldn’t matter, and the functionality and comfort many on this thread have attested to makes them attractive. But I don’t wear suits (in the humanities, I think this is too department head, B-school or administratorish) and perhaps they are more appropriate for suits while belts with trousers and odd jackets?
A brief glance at SF archives via search suggests suspenders with suits, belts with odd jackets. Thoughts?
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › TOJ MDR / Black Lamb / 46 6 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 15 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 15 minutes ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 16 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 21 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Caliber India Varsity Letterman Jackets and...
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan