Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:35 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 11:58 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 6:57 am in Classic Menswear
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 509post #7621 of 139083/9/13 at 5:59pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7622 of 139083/9/13 at 11:29pmpost #7623 of 139083/10/13 at 12:18amQuote:
mmm... the first impression is what really counts, you know.Quote:
I was thinking more along these linespost #7624 of 139083/10/13 at 1:08ampost #7625 of 139083/10/13 at 12:28pmBanis and Viktor have demonstrated in ample measure that taste has arrived in Russia.
Unfortunately, taste doesn't seem to have reached Russian-Americans in Miami, NY, Chicago, and LA, who still swear pointy-toed Prada loafers, black True Religion jeans, and black muscle shirts to everything from work to school to church to baptisms to funerals (speaking solely from personal experience, please don't ban me for being racially insensitive, most of my best friends are Russian etc etc etc :happy: ).post #7626 of 139083/10/13 at 4:04pmQuote:
One of the few Yakov jokes that made me giggle originated during the recent Russia meteorite blast: In soviet russia, space explores you...
to get back on topic... somewhat: a friend of mine recently showed me old b/w pictures of his grandfather from Sicily whom he never met before his death (we both grew up in Germany). Having just gotten a new high dpi scanner I accepted the challenge.
Did I restore in good taste?post #7627 of 139083/10/13 at 5:07pmpost #7628 of 139083/10/13 at 10:39pmpost #7629 of 139083/10/13 at 11:10pmpost #7630 of 139083/10/13 at 11:15pmpost #7631 of 139083/11/13 at 4:17amCaustic, that tie would look more at home with an OCBD and some crumpled, tatty khakis. Maybe some bucks or (dare I say it) boat shoes. The bals are too dressy for such a bright, casual tie, and dark brown brogues seem aseasonal with the summery flavor of the combo. Between the shoes, the shirt collar and the creases in the khakis, it's like you've tried to up the formality of the standard prep blazer outfit, but the appeal of that "uniform" lies in its casualness.
Also, if the square is solid cream, it looks like you've tried to match the square to your khakis.post #7632 of 139083/11/13 at 4:26am
Thanks for the critique. Now that you mention it the cream square does look rather close to the trousers, doesn't it? I was a little worried about snuff suede shoes with this combo. I felt that it would be ok for the early hot weather we have been having around here, but perhaps it is a fall shoe?post #7633 of 139083/11/13 at 5:12amQuote:Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Caustic, that tie would look more at home with an OCBD and some crumpled, tatty khakis. Maybe some bucks or (dare I say it) boat shoes. The bals are too dressy for such a bright, casual tie, and dark brown brogues seem aseasonal with the summery flavor of the combo. Between the shoes, the shirt collar and the creases in the khakis, it's like you've tried to up the formality of the standard prep blazer outfit, but the appeal of that "uniform" lies in its casualness.
Also, if the square is solid cream, it looks like you've tried to match the square to your khakis.
Maybe it isn't coming through in the pic, but I believe he is wearing Allen Edmonds Amok. They are balmorals, but have a few casual elements: they are unlined, have a split welt, and have contrast-color laces. I'm not sure if this changes your mind about them, but thought I would point that out.
Part of the reason I am bringing this up is that I am considering getting a pair, and am planning on wearing them with similar outfits. If the balmoral lacing makes the shoe too formal despite its less-casual attributes, then I will likely pass.post #7634 of 139083/11/13 at 5:22ampost #7635 of 139083/11/13 at 6:27am
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Australian Members 12 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 15 minutes ago
- › OAK ROOM - Gentlemen`s Shoe Store - Official Affiliate Thread 16 minutes ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (Carmina, Drakes, Cappelli, Finamore) -... 21 minutes ago
- › Ragged (!) Trousered Philanthropists 24 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 26 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 26 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 28 minutes ago
- › SUITSUPPLY - 40L / 98 - Hudson - SS2015 - Brown Threepiece - BNWT 35 minutes ago
- › Pant length and current trends with trouser break 36 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...