Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:31 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 2:42 am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 6:00 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 509post #7621 of 139623/9/13 at 5:59pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7622 of 139623/9/13 at 11:29pmpost #7623 of 139623/10/13 at 12:18amQuote:
mmm... the first impression is what really counts, you know.Quote:
I was thinking more along these linespost #7624 of 139623/10/13 at 1:08ampost #7625 of 139623/10/13 at 12:28pmBanis and Viktor have demonstrated in ample measure that taste has arrived in Russia.
Unfortunately, taste doesn't seem to have reached Russian-Americans in Miami, NY, Chicago, and LA, who still swear pointy-toed Prada loafers, black True Religion jeans, and black muscle shirts to everything from work to school to church to baptisms to funerals (speaking solely from personal experience, please don't ban me for being racially insensitive, most of my best friends are Russian etc etc etc :happy: ).post #7626 of 139623/10/13 at 4:04pmQuote:
One of the few Yakov jokes that made me giggle originated during the recent Russia meteorite blast: In soviet russia, space explores you...
to get back on topic... somewhat: a friend of mine recently showed me old b/w pictures of his grandfather from Sicily whom he never met before his death (we both grew up in Germany). Having just gotten a new high dpi scanner I accepted the challenge.
Did I restore in good taste?post #7627 of 139623/10/13 at 5:07pmpost #7628 of 139623/10/13 at 10:39pmpost #7629 of 139623/10/13 at 11:10pmpost #7630 of 139623/10/13 at 11:15pmpost #7631 of 139623/11/13 at 4:17amCaustic, that tie would look more at home with an OCBD and some crumpled, tatty khakis. Maybe some bucks or (dare I say it) boat shoes. The bals are too dressy for such a bright, casual tie, and dark brown brogues seem aseasonal with the summery flavor of the combo. Between the shoes, the shirt collar and the creases in the khakis, it's like you've tried to up the formality of the standard prep blazer outfit, but the appeal of that "uniform" lies in its casualness.
Also, if the square is solid cream, it looks like you've tried to match the square to your khakis.post #7632 of 139623/11/13 at 4:26am
Thanks for the critique. Now that you mention it the cream square does look rather close to the trousers, doesn't it? I was a little worried about snuff suede shoes with this combo. I felt that it would be ok for the early hot weather we have been having around here, but perhaps it is a fall shoe?post #7633 of 139623/11/13 at 5:12amQuote:Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Caustic, that tie would look more at home with an OCBD and some crumpled, tatty khakis. Maybe some bucks or (dare I say it) boat shoes. The bals are too dressy for such a bright, casual tie, and dark brown brogues seem aseasonal with the summery flavor of the combo. Between the shoes, the shirt collar and the creases in the khakis, it's like you've tried to up the formality of the standard prep blazer outfit, but the appeal of that "uniform" lies in its casualness.
Also, if the square is solid cream, it looks like you've tried to match the square to your khakis.
Maybe it isn't coming through in the pic, but I believe he is wearing Allen Edmonds Amok. They are balmorals, but have a few casual elements: they are unlined, have a split welt, and have contrast-color laces. I'm not sure if this changes your mind about them, but thought I would point that out.
Part of the reason I am bringing this up is that I am considering getting a pair, and am planning on wearing them with similar outfits. If the balmoral lacing makes the shoe too formal despite its less-casual attributes, then I will likely pass.post #7634 of 139623/11/13 at 5:22ampost #7635 of 139623/11/13 at 6:27am
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › MC General Chat 7 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 17 minutes ago
- › Shoe Care) Controversy over cross-usage of shoe creams 24 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 25 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 26 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 32 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 32 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 33 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge July 24th - Denim 35 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 36 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...