Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:47 am in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 11:24 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 509post #7621 of 141533/9/13 at 5:59pmpost #7622 of 141533/9/13 at 11:29pmpost #7623 of 141533/10/13 at 12:18amQuote:
mmm... the first impression is what really counts, you know.Quote:
I was thinking more along these linespost #7624 of 141533/10/13 at 1:08ampost #7625 of 141533/10/13 at 12:28pmBanis and Viktor have demonstrated in ample measure that taste has arrived in Russia.
Unfortunately, taste doesn't seem to have reached Russian-Americans in Miami, NY, Chicago, and LA, who still swear pointy-toed Prada loafers, black True Religion jeans, and black muscle shirts to everything from work to school to church to baptisms to funerals (speaking solely from personal experience, please don't ban me for being racially insensitive, most of my best friends are Russian etc etc etc :happy: ).post #7626 of 141533/10/13 at 4:04pmQuote:
One of the few Yakov jokes that made me giggle originated during the recent Russia meteorite blast: In soviet russia, space explores you...
to get back on topic... somewhat: a friend of mine recently showed me old b/w pictures of his grandfather from Sicily whom he never met before his death (we both grew up in Germany). Having just gotten a new high dpi scanner I accepted the challenge.
Did I restore in good taste?post #7627 of 141533/10/13 at 5:07pmpost #7628 of 141533/10/13 at 10:39pmpost #7629 of 141533/10/13 at 11:10pmpost #7630 of 141533/10/13 at 11:15pmpost #7631 of 141533/11/13 at 4:17amCaustic, that tie would look more at home with an OCBD and some crumpled, tatty khakis. Maybe some bucks or (dare I say it) boat shoes. The bals are too dressy for such a bright, casual tie, and dark brown brogues seem aseasonal with the summery flavor of the combo. Between the shoes, the shirt collar and the creases in the khakis, it's like you've tried to up the formality of the standard prep blazer outfit, but the appeal of that "uniform" lies in its casualness.
Also, if the square is solid cream, it looks like you've tried to match the square to your khakis.post #7632 of 141533/11/13 at 4:26am
Thanks for the critique. Now that you mention it the cream square does look rather close to the trousers, doesn't it? I was a little worried about snuff suede shoes with this combo. I felt that it would be ok for the early hot weather we have been having around here, but perhaps it is a fall shoe?post #7633 of 141533/11/13 at 5:12amQuote:Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Caustic, that tie would look more at home with an OCBD and some crumpled, tatty khakis. Maybe some bucks or (dare I say it) boat shoes. The bals are too dressy for such a bright, casual tie, and dark brown brogues seem aseasonal with the summery flavor of the combo. Between the shoes, the shirt collar and the creases in the khakis, it's like you've tried to up the formality of the standard prep blazer outfit, but the appeal of that "uniform" lies in its casualness.
Also, if the square is solid cream, it looks like you've tried to match the square to your khakis.
Maybe it isn't coming through in the pic, but I believe he is wearing Allen Edmonds Amok. They are balmorals, but have a few casual elements: they are unlined, have a split welt, and have contrast-color laces. I'm not sure if this changes your mind about them, but thought I would point that out.
Part of the reason I am bringing this up is that I am considering getting a pair, and am planning on wearing them with similar outfits. If the balmoral lacing makes the shoe too formal despite its less-casual attributes, then I will likely pass.post #7634 of 141533/11/13 at 5:22ampost #7635 of 141533/11/13 at 6:27am
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 9 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 12 minutes ago
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Introduce yourself. 12 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 16 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...