or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 493

post #7381 of 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

I think I agree with this. I must admit I don't understand why knits are ideal for odd jackets, but not grenadines, especially loose-weave ones. Though I admit, I still haven't gotten over my prejudice against knit ties.

Who told you grenadines aren't good with odd jackets?
post #7382 of 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


Who told you grenadines aren't good with odd jackets?

Manton, though I'm not sure if that is a "rule" or really just a personal prejudice he has.

post #7383 of 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Manton, though I'm not sure if that is a "rule" or really just a personal prejudice he has.

Manton said that? Really? He must have walked into a chandelier or something shortly beforehand.

But then, there was the time he told me to wear punch caps with my dinner suit. So, he can be wrong every now and then.
post #7384 of 12728
My Mercer has great collar shape and perfect unlined feel, but the collar height is too low for my long neck. Fit is also circus-tent-like.

Ed, when you reference Individualized's "custom/bespoke" line, do you mean their higher-end "Yapre" or the regular MTM line? I have 3 of the OCBDs from the latter in "extra high," and while not bad, the collar roll is not as elegant as old BB, at least IME. I have several Yapre shirts which I think are really nice, but none with bd collar.
post #7385 of 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


Manton said that? Really? He must have walked into a chandelier or something shortly beforehand.

But then, there was the time he told me to wear punch caps with my dinner suit. So, he can be wrong every now and then.

Here is the post, earlier in this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/309586/whnay-s-good-taste-thread/6180#post_6131027

 

I also recall something similar from the thread about pattern coordination between jacket, shirt and tie. From re-reading the post, it looks like more of a personal preference than a rule.

post #7386 of 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Here is the post, earlier in this thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/309586/whnay-s-good-taste-thread/6180#post_6131027

I also recall something similar from the thread about pattern coordination between jacket, shirt and tie. From re-reading the post, it looks like more of a personal preference than a rule.

I dunno. He distinctly says it is more formal. That is the sort of thing Manton tends to know best, so I'm inclined to believe it is the case.

Still, if it is a rule, it is one I would not hesitate to break. The coarse texture of grenadine looks great with an odd jacket to me. In fact, it is often hard to distinguish from a knit, so I'm perplexed by the implication it is on the opposite end of the formality spectrum.
post #7387 of 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivar View Post

Over the last few years, I've worn solid knit ties exclusively. Once you've gotten used to having that comfy, fluttery piece of cloth round your neck, there's no going back.

This is giving me serious iGent wood.
post #7388 of 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Who told you grenadines aren't good with odd jackets?
+1 They are fine. Excellent, even. Want to try something cool? Wear a black grenadine with a brown tweed.
post #7389 of 12728
What type of tie should be worn with a cashmere jacket?
post #7390 of 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

+1 They are fine. Excellent, even. Want to try something cool? Wear a black grenadine with a brown tweed.

lol ill try that. what color shirt do you suggest? biggrin.gif
post #7391 of 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

lol ill try that. what color shirt do you suggest? biggrin.gif

There is exactly one correct answer to this: BLUE.
post #7392 of 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

There is exactly one correct answer to this: BLUE.
OK, but too Italian. Ecru. Light yellow. Pink. Burgundy stripe.
post #7393 of 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

OK, but too Italian. Ecru. Light yellow. Pink. Burgundy stripe.

Err, you lost me. Except for the burgundy stripe. That would be really nice. In fact, if I ever get to adding non-blue shirts to my wardrobe, I'll start with a few burgundy bengal stripes.
post #7394 of 12728
University Stripe, not Bengal. But it should have been obvious that all my suggestions were OCBD. If you are going poplin, blue is probably the best choice.
post #7395 of 12728
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

OK, but too Italian. Ecru. Light yellow. Pink. Burgundy stripe.

My only options are green/white begal stripe or solid white or blue, OCBD or non. Whats yer pick?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread