Genius, because now Victor can do the Luca thread.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:06 am in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 3:56 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 485post #7262 of 141153/5/13 at 8:46ampost #7263 of 141153/5/13 at 8:54amQuote:
I always look down, or rather look before I have to look down. Shoes can make or break any fit. Hanks? Who cares.post #7264 of 141153/5/13 at 8:56amThread Starterpost #7265 of 141153/5/13 at 8:59ampost #7266 of 141153/5/13 at 9:00amQuote:
Tell her to buy a cream silk square next time...post #7267 of 141153/5/13 at 9:03amVictor is right, it is really kind of a fool's errand to evaluate how tasteful a fit is looking at crappy closeups of ties, pocket squares, jackets and shirts without a larger context. That said, Manton's scope in this thread has been made abundantly clear.
Also, it's not really that hard to take a full body pic that gets the point across with a camera phone (even if falls substantially short of Victor's professional modeling photo shoots which make so many of you so horny). For those of you who complain about not having enough time, and yada yada yada, you probably post too much here anyway. Post less, take better pics. Stop trying to take photos in situations where you're concerned about getting caught by normal people.post #7268 of 141153/5/13 at 9:03amThread Starterwell, it was.
Look, if your position is "hanks, who cares" then don't wear one. No hank is vastly better than a bad hank or a good hank ill chosen. it's like a grafitti tag on your chest if it doesn't work.
if you routinely check shoes, you are an outlier. most people don't.
this being "style" forum, everyone should of course wear good shoes. but the chest-neck region is the heart of any outfit and that's what we're trying to teach. Frankly, a man can get by with half a dozen shoes or less (ask foo!) and so long has he knows how to use them, which really boils down to how NOT to use them, he will be fine. Taking care of what's up top is a lot harder.post #7269 of 141153/5/13 at 9:06amThread Starterfor me (and others, no doubt) the conversation is more fun than the laborious business of taking pics that strangers can bless as "acceptable." You can call me lazy, and I am, but if I am ever going to overcome that I will pour the energy into other vessels. SF is a timesink, a goof, not a job and not self-improvement.post #7270 of 141153/5/13 at 9:11ampost #7271 of 141153/5/13 at 9:11ampost #7272 of 141153/5/13 at 9:14amQuote:
the correct course of action is to dump her and as you are feeling out new paramours, ask them, "what do you think of this cream silk square?"post #7273 of 141153/5/13 at 9:21ampost #7274 of 141153/5/13 at 9:23amQuote:Originally Posted by Manton
victor, I don't think you quite understand the purpose/spirit of this thread. All your frustrations are about things that are, strictly speaking, off topic.
This is about learning what constitutes good taste according to a certain tradition. From your pics, I can see that you sometimes do very well according to that standard and other times veer from it. Your pics are always well shot and your combinations are always thoughtful and coherent. But they aren't always "in good taste." If you want a definition of what I mean by the latter, it would be "according to the standards of Style Forvm groupthink as established by a dozen or so members who mostly agree on everything."
Motives for creating this thread is clear, I agree with them.
But I'm also for the fact that people would not mistaken, I think that the "good neck area" - this is enough.
Good neck area is necessary. This is a fact.
But this fact is clearly not good enough without the support of quality and knowledge in all other respects. Also a fact.
I just wish that people would realize this is not mistaken
Therefore, this thread is good only for a basic understanding of "good neck area," not "good taste as a whole."
And should always remember that the "neck area" - only part of good taste, and to look good, we must first learn how to work with the zone, but also work to improve the many, many other aspects.
And not given to self-deception: "My neck area is gorgeous, that's enough"
When bad landing jacket (for example) the effort of "neck area" useless for clothing will all still look like a potato sack.
Simply, it will match the color (in the upper part) potato sack ...
In general - this thread is necessary, but not sufficient.
It is important that everyone understands this.
Amen!post #7275 of 141153/5/13 at 9:26amQuote:Quote:Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by Red
I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.
What's next, income tax advice? It's almost like this is a Netflix thread all up in here!
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 16 minutes ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 19 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 20 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 26 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 1 hour, 31 minutes ago
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › Church's Pembrey Prestige White Moccasin in a size 10F UK 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding