Genius, because now Victor can do the Luca thread.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:30 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 6:53 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Fall Styles for the Tailored ManLast edited: 10/14/15
- In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong KongLast edited: 10/1/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 485
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7262 of 139963/5/13 at 8:46ampost #7263 of 139963/5/13 at 8:54amQuote:
I always look down, or rather look before I have to look down. Shoes can make or break any fit. Hanks? Who cares.post #7264 of 139963/5/13 at 8:56amThread Starterpost #7265 of 139963/5/13 at 8:59ampost #7266 of 139963/5/13 at 9:00amQuote:
Tell her to buy a cream silk square next time...post #7267 of 139963/5/13 at 9:03amVictor is right, it is really kind of a fool's errand to evaluate how tasteful a fit is looking at crappy closeups of ties, pocket squares, jackets and shirts without a larger context. That said, Manton's scope in this thread has been made abundantly clear.
Also, it's not really that hard to take a full body pic that gets the point across with a camera phone (even if falls substantially short of Victor's professional modeling photo shoots which make so many of you so horny). For those of you who complain about not having enough time, and yada yada yada, you probably post too much here anyway. Post less, take better pics. Stop trying to take photos in situations where you're concerned about getting caught by normal people.post #7268 of 139963/5/13 at 9:03amThread Starterwell, it was.
Look, if your position is "hanks, who cares" then don't wear one. No hank is vastly better than a bad hank or a good hank ill chosen. it's like a grafitti tag on your chest if it doesn't work.
if you routinely check shoes, you are an outlier. most people don't.
this being "style" forum, everyone should of course wear good shoes. but the chest-neck region is the heart of any outfit and that's what we're trying to teach. Frankly, a man can get by with half a dozen shoes or less (ask foo!) and so long has he knows how to use them, which really boils down to how NOT to use them, he will be fine. Taking care of what's up top is a lot harder.post #7269 of 139963/5/13 at 9:06amThread Starterfor me (and others, no doubt) the conversation is more fun than the laborious business of taking pics that strangers can bless as "acceptable." You can call me lazy, and I am, but if I am ever going to overcome that I will pour the energy into other vessels. SF is a timesink, a goof, not a job and not self-improvement.post #7270 of 139963/5/13 at 9:11ampost #7271 of 139963/5/13 at 9:11ampost #7272 of 139963/5/13 at 9:14amQuote:
the correct course of action is to dump her and as you are feeling out new paramours, ask them, "what do you think of this cream silk square?"post #7273 of 139963/5/13 at 9:21ampost #7274 of 139963/5/13 at 9:23amQuote:Originally Posted by Manton
victor, I don't think you quite understand the purpose/spirit of this thread. All your frustrations are about things that are, strictly speaking, off topic.
This is about learning what constitutes good taste according to a certain tradition. From your pics, I can see that you sometimes do very well according to that standard and other times veer from it. Your pics are always well shot and your combinations are always thoughtful and coherent. But they aren't always "in good taste." If you want a definition of what I mean by the latter, it would be "according to the standards of Style Forvm groupthink as established by a dozen or so members who mostly agree on everything."
Motives for creating this thread is clear, I agree with them.
But I'm also for the fact that people would not mistaken, I think that the "good neck area" - this is enough.
Good neck area is necessary. This is a fact.
But this fact is clearly not good enough without the support of quality and knowledge in all other respects. Also a fact.
I just wish that people would realize this is not mistaken
Therefore, this thread is good only for a basic understanding of "good neck area," not "good taste as a whole."
And should always remember that the "neck area" - only part of good taste, and to look good, we must first learn how to work with the zone, but also work to improve the many, many other aspects.
And not given to self-deception: "My neck area is gorgeous, that's enough"
When bad landing jacket (for example) the effort of "neck area" useless for clothing will all still look like a potato sack.
Simply, it will match the color (in the upper part) potato sack ...
In general - this thread is necessary, but not sufficient.
It is important that everyone understands this.
Amen!post #7275 of 139963/5/13 at 9:26amQuote:Quote:Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by Red
I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.
What's next, income tax advice? It's almost like this is a Netflix thread all up in here!
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 8 seconds ago
- › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 4 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 7 minutes ago
- › The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors 7 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 8 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories