Genius, because now Victor can do the Luca thread.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 485
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7262 of 135893/5/13 at 8:46ampost #7263 of 135893/5/13 at 8:54amQuote:
I always look down, or rather look before I have to look down. Shoes can make or break any fit. Hanks? Who cares.post #7264 of 135893/5/13 at 8:56amThread Starterpost #7265 of 135893/5/13 at 8:59ampost #7266 of 135893/5/13 at 9:00amQuote:
Tell her to buy a cream silk square next time...post #7267 of 135893/5/13 at 9:03amVictor is right, it is really kind of a fool's errand to evaluate how tasteful a fit is looking at crappy closeups of ties, pocket squares, jackets and shirts without a larger context. That said, Manton's scope in this thread has been made abundantly clear.
Also, it's not really that hard to take a full body pic that gets the point across with a camera phone (even if falls substantially short of Victor's professional modeling photo shoots which make so many of you so horny). For those of you who complain about not having enough time, and yada yada yada, you probably post too much here anyway. Post less, take better pics. Stop trying to take photos in situations where you're concerned about getting caught by normal people.post #7268 of 135893/5/13 at 9:03amThread Starterwell, it was.
Look, if your position is "hanks, who cares" then don't wear one. No hank is vastly better than a bad hank or a good hank ill chosen. it's like a grafitti tag on your chest if it doesn't work.
if you routinely check shoes, you are an outlier. most people don't.
this being "style" forum, everyone should of course wear good shoes. but the chest-neck region is the heart of any outfit and that's what we're trying to teach. Frankly, a man can get by with half a dozen shoes or less (ask foo!) and so long has he knows how to use them, which really boils down to how NOT to use them, he will be fine. Taking care of what's up top is a lot harder.post #7269 of 135893/5/13 at 9:06amThread Starterfor me (and others, no doubt) the conversation is more fun than the laborious business of taking pics that strangers can bless as "acceptable." You can call me lazy, and I am, but if I am ever going to overcome that I will pour the energy into other vessels. SF is a timesink, a goof, not a job and not self-improvement.post #7270 of 135893/5/13 at 9:11ampost #7271 of 135893/5/13 at 9:11ampost #7272 of 135893/5/13 at 9:14amQuote:
the correct course of action is to dump her and as you are feeling out new paramours, ask them, "what do you think of this cream silk square?"post #7273 of 135893/5/13 at 9:21ampost #7274 of 135893/5/13 at 9:23amQuote:Originally Posted by Manton
victor, I don't think you quite understand the purpose/spirit of this thread. All your frustrations are about things that are, strictly speaking, off topic.
This is about learning what constitutes good taste according to a certain tradition. From your pics, I can see that you sometimes do very well according to that standard and other times veer from it. Your pics are always well shot and your combinations are always thoughtful and coherent. But they aren't always "in good taste." If you want a definition of what I mean by the latter, it would be "according to the standards of Style Forvm groupthink as established by a dozen or so members who mostly agree on everything."
Motives for creating this thread is clear, I agree with them.
But I'm also for the fact that people would not mistaken, I think that the "good neck area" - this is enough.
Good neck area is necessary. This is a fact.
But this fact is clearly not good enough without the support of quality and knowledge in all other respects. Also a fact.
I just wish that people would realize this is not mistaken
Therefore, this thread is good only for a basic understanding of "good neck area," not "good taste as a whole."
And should always remember that the "neck area" - only part of good taste, and to look good, we must first learn how to work with the zone, but also work to improve the many, many other aspects.
And not given to self-deception: "My neck area is gorgeous, that's enough"
When bad landing jacket (for example) the effort of "neck area" useless for clothing will all still look like a potato sack.
Simply, it will match the color (in the upper part) potato sack ...
In general - this thread is necessary, but not sufficient.
It is important that everyone understands this.
Amen!post #7275 of 135893/5/13 at 9:26amQuote:Quote:Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by Red
I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.
What's next, income tax advice? It's almost like this is a Netflix thread all up in here!
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 1 minute ago
- › 100k pull-ups in 2014 2 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 4 minutes ago
- › Oak Street Bootmakers 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review 6 minutes ago
- › Double Monk Burgundy help 9 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 10 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 12 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...