or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 473

post #7081 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
color of SC better represented in bottom pic. shirt is light blue.


shoes and socks. no red. (Click to show)
Excellent
post #7082 of 12286
Thread Starter 
That is pretty good.
post #7083 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

To me it is a suit tie, but to be fair, you would not look out of place in Italy wearing it with an odd jacket, and Spain is sort of like Italy, so ...

Interesting; do you think a madder tie with this same pattern would still be a suit tie? (for you, not taking regional aspects into play).

 

I ask because sometimes I wonder what the true differences between a madder and a "regular twill" are - my two madder ties (Cappelli and Drake's) have a different feel to them, not only because of the lining - the twills are different.

post #7084 of 12286
Thread Starter 
I pretty much never wear print ties with odd jackets. For me, those always take knits, repps, or (seasonally) wool or linen.
post #7085 of 12286

Alright, just wanted to know your point of view. So if I understand correctly, today's tie is not inherently wrong, just like madders aren't (in theory) - you just don't like them. And of course it's always safer to wear a knit, repp, or wool, because a neat print might just be too formal, depending the texture/pattern, and it has to be done carefully. Did I get that right?

 

Thanks smile.gif

post #7086 of 12286
Stitchy, that is really nice. Well done.
post #7087 of 12286
Thread Starter 
Yes. And, as I noted, you will see that kind of tie worn with odd jackets by well dressed men in Italy all the time. Cappelli himself included.
post #7088 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Excellent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

That is pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Stitchy, that is really nice. Well done.

thank you kindly, gents.
post #7089 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

I pretty much never wear print ties with odd jackets. For me, those always take knits, repps, or (seasonally) wool or linen.

I recall Manton saying the same thing in this or another thread to which I've taken to heart. I can't say that it was a earth shattering revelation but it made me review my collection of ties and my approach to odd jackets. Prior I never felt it worked as it should have but this simple change seems to have been the crucial difference that was needed.
post #7090 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Canuker View Post

I recall Manton saying the same thing in this or another thread to which I've taken to heart. I can't say that it was a earth shattering revelation but it made me review my collection of ties and my approach to odd jackets. Prior I never felt it worked as it should have but this simple change seems to have been the crucial difference that was needed.

Yes, I recall that as well, in this thread. As a matter of fact, on this very page, a few posts up.
post #7091 of 12286

A Canuker, read above. There's nothing wrong with prints + odd jackets, but they just have to be the right kind of print (madder and challis are prints). And other than that there's some leeway depending on where you live and what you do.


Edited by RDiaz - 3/4/13 at 10:48am
post #7092 of 12286
Thread Starter 
everyone please try to remember the distinction between an authority and a know-it-all
post #7093 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

everyone please try to remember the distinction between an authority and a know-it-all

One gets their own smiley?

confused.gif
post #7094 of 12286

I thought it was the authority who said they weren't wrong per-se confused.gif

Now I am confused.

post #7095 of 12286
Thread Starter 
mostly I don't share ed's concern for lemming-like group-think because I think so many of you would look better if you wore what we told you to wear. However, when people contemplate not wearing perfectly fine combos just because I, personally, don't, then I start to wonder if it's all gone too far.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread