Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:25 am in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 10/19/16 at 2:44am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 473post #7082 of 141223/4/13 at 9:20amThread Starterpost #7083 of 141223/4/13 at 9:26amQuote:
Interesting; do you think a madder tie with this same pattern would still be a suit tie? (for you, not taking regional aspects into play).
I ask because sometimes I wonder what the true differences between a madder and a "regular twill" are - my two madder ties (Cappelli and Drake's) have a different feel to them, not only because of the lining - the twills are different.post #7084 of 141223/4/13 at 9:27amThread Starterpost #7085 of 141223/4/13 at 9:34am
Alright, just wanted to know your point of view. So if I understand correctly, today's tie is not inherently wrong, just like madders aren't (in theory) - you just don't like them. And of course it's always safer to wear a knit, repp, or wool, because a neat print might just be too formal, depending the texture/pattern, and it has to be done carefully. Did I get that right?
Thankspost #7086 of 141223/4/13 at 9:36ampost #7087 of 141223/4/13 at 9:36amThread Starterpost #7088 of 141223/4/13 at 9:38ampost #7089 of 141223/4/13 at 10:14amQuote:
I recall Manton saying the same thing in this or another thread to which I've taken to heart. I can't say that it was a earth shattering revelation but it made me review my collection of ties and my approach to odd jackets. Prior I never felt it worked as it should have but this simple change seems to have been the crucial difference that was needed.post #7090 of 141223/4/13 at 10:16amQuote:Originally Posted by A Canuker
I recall Manton saying the same thing in this or another thread to which I've taken to heart. I can't say that it was a earth shattering revelation but it made me review my collection of ties and my approach to odd jackets. Prior I never felt it worked as it should have but this simple change seems to have been the crucial difference that was needed.
Yes, I recall that as well, in this thread. As a matter of fact, on this very page, a few posts up.post #7091 of 141223/4/13 at 10:21ampost #7092 of 141223/4/13 at 10:24amThread Starterpost #7093 of 141223/4/13 at 10:33ampost #7094 of 141223/4/13 at 10:33ampost #7095 of 141223/4/13 at 10:37amThread Startermostly I don't share ed's concern for lemming-like group-think because I think so many of you would look better if you wore what we told you to wear. However, when people contemplate not wearing perfectly fine combos just because I, personally, don't, then I start to wonder if it's all gone too far.
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 4 seconds ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 2 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE: 19 October - 29 October: The Sleaze Challenge 2 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging ... 7 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 9 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...