Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:16 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 10:31 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 5:35 pm in Classic Menswear
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/10/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 473
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7082 of 139053/4/13 at 9:20amThread Starterpost #7083 of 139053/4/13 at 9:26amQuote:
Interesting; do you think a madder tie with this same pattern would still be a suit tie? (for you, not taking regional aspects into play).
I ask because sometimes I wonder what the true differences between a madder and a "regular twill" are - my two madder ties (Cappelli and Drake's) have a different feel to them, not only because of the lining - the twills are different.post #7084 of 139053/4/13 at 9:27amThread Starterpost #7085 of 139053/4/13 at 9:34am
Alright, just wanted to know your point of view. So if I understand correctly, today's tie is not inherently wrong, just like madders aren't (in theory) - you just don't like them. And of course it's always safer to wear a knit, repp, or wool, because a neat print might just be too formal, depending the texture/pattern, and it has to be done carefully. Did I get that right?
Thankspost #7086 of 139053/4/13 at 9:36ampost #7087 of 139053/4/13 at 9:36amThread Starterpost #7088 of 139053/4/13 at 9:38ampost #7089 of 139053/4/13 at 10:14amQuote:
I recall Manton saying the same thing in this or another thread to which I've taken to heart. I can't say that it was a earth shattering revelation but it made me review my collection of ties and my approach to odd jackets. Prior I never felt it worked as it should have but this simple change seems to have been the crucial difference that was needed.post #7090 of 139053/4/13 at 10:16amQuote:Originally Posted by A Canuker
I recall Manton saying the same thing in this or another thread to which I've taken to heart. I can't say that it was a earth shattering revelation but it made me review my collection of ties and my approach to odd jackets. Prior I never felt it worked as it should have but this simple change seems to have been the crucial difference that was needed.
Yes, I recall that as well, in this thread. As a matter of fact, on this very page, a few posts up.post #7091 of 139053/4/13 at 10:21ampost #7092 of 139053/4/13 at 10:24amThread Starterpost #7093 of 139053/4/13 at 10:33ampost #7094 of 139053/4/13 at 10:33ampost #7095 of 139053/4/13 at 10:37amThread Startermostly I don't share ed's concern for lemming-like group-think because I think so many of you would look better if you wore what we told you to wear. However, when people contemplate not wearing perfectly fine combos just because I, personally, don't, then I start to wonder if it's all gone too far.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 17 seconds ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 39 seconds ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Sous VIde Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 8 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...