Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 47post #691 of 134018/3/12 at 9:28am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #692 of 134018/3/12 at 9:30am
This is a problem area. I have a thick, not particularly long neck. I'm afraid that If I make the collar much taller, it will look like I have no neck at all. That said, a couple of those pictures feature shirts with shorter collars than my usual, and I agree that they are less than ideal. Latest MTM shirt has a taller collar that is probably the limit, but I like it.post #693 of 134018/3/12 at 9:39ampost #694 of 134018/3/12 at 9:42amQuote:
It's actually Attolini so go figure, hehe
and it's a sport coat. A linen tweed suit would be too much even for me. I'll post a different pic later because the colors must be off. The shirt isn't blue at all.post #695 of 134018/3/12 at 9:49ampost #696 of 134018/3/12 at 9:51ampost #697 of 134018/3/12 at 10:22am
This is a very entertaining thread; I've only just managed to find time to read through it. There are some really nice outfits and conceptual ideas here. Foo's fit #2 from his first pic post in the thread, gdl's #2 from his first one, and Manton's Wolfe one from a few pages back, particularly stick out as clever combinations. Sorry not to link back to the specific pics; didn't think to multiquote as I go and I'm too lazy to go back now.
What's most interesting is the attitude of approach to dressing: there's a real desire and willingness to dress well according to the boundaries of traditional good taste. I like to see that kind of dedication to a pastime. Its not a specific aspiration I share because I need to create a slightly different effect with my outfits* but there's more than enough overlap to enjoy this thread for what it is.
Kudos to you guys for putting in the time & effort!
(*conventional good taste can come across as too overbearing or correct to work effectively with my clients, whereas a bit of leeriness plays well with them in. A good example of that would be my tie choice today as seen in this outfit. And casually, I rather enjoy cocking a snook!)post #698 of 134018/3/12 at 10:28ampost #699 of 134018/3/12 at 10:29ampost #700 of 134018/3/12 at 10:30ampost #701 of 134018/3/12 at 10:32ampost #702 of 134018/3/12 at 10:34amQuote:
Correct on the collar. They are being fazed out, I promise. Incidentally, I gather from your own posts and those of others, you have also had shirts made by this maker, and currently have your shirts made by the maker that I have switched to, so I have followed part of the same path as you without intending to explicitly.
On the shoes, I'll warn you in advance you have zero chance of convincing me to abandon or even dislike these shoes, but I'm interested to know what is your objection, if there be an offense to some greater rule rather than just an offense to your tastes, to wholecuts and/or floating medallions?post #703 of 134018/3/12 at 10:44amThread Starterpost #704 of 134018/3/12 at 11:03ampost #705 of 134018/3/12 at 11:09am
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 1 minute ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review 3 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Is this a normal wear rate on new shoes? 5 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style 6 minutes ago
- › Feedback on Sarar suits 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 9 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...
- › How to Get What You Really Want This Holiday...
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...