Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:59 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 10/19/16 at 2:44am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 437post #6542 of 141222/19/13 at 8:00ampost #6543 of 141222/19/13 at 8:01ampost #6544 of 141222/19/13 at 8:04amThread Starterpost #6545 of 141222/19/13 at 8:05amQuote:
Yes, I believe most of us agree with you. I think a large man in a (good) three piece suit actually looks much better than a skinny man in a three piece suit, hence my post of Taft. It projects a degree of gravitas and self-assurance that is just not easily faked. But that may be a minority opinion.post #6546 of 141222/19/13 at 8:21amQuote:Presumably . . . that is why Abel was able to offer a pleasing sacrifice with the fat of lambs, whereas waistcoat-wearing Cain was stuck with day-old produce. It is hard to see here, but - trust me - Cain is wearing a waistcoat:post #6547 of 141222/19/13 at 8:22ampost #6548 of 141222/19/13 at 8:36amIf you have a big belly and you're serious about looking good, neither a vest nor an expert bespoke tailor can make you look as good as a thin guy in a fused Hugo Boss suit.
I think that big men have fantasies about getting their trousers tailored such that the waist band sits at exactly the right spot and masks their belly and therefore they look smashing and dashing, etc.
A big belly is a big belly. Before spending 5 racks a pop on bespoke, hire a trainer and get your eating under control.
Desu is the maximum level of "bigness" you can be without looking like a big cartoon in pinstripes.
And he has that sort of 'brick shithouse' build where he's not even fat so much as thickly built.
But the bottom line is that looking good is hard and a big belly makes it essentially impossible.post #6549 of 141222/19/13 at 8:43ampost #6550 of 141222/19/13 at 8:48amQuote:
Most people discussing this are entirely missing the point. For some people the choice is not between being rotund in great clothes and being skinny in shitty clothes. The question at hand is, given your body type, what should you wear to make you look your best.
Some posters seem to prefer to flaunt their own youth or leanness at older and/or heavier men, which is pointless. FWIW, I have no dog in this fight as I'm 6'2 195, so not really skinny but not really heavy either. But I don't see the point of telling heavier guys to just go lose 50 pounds before they even think about clothes if they have no desire or ability to change their weight.post #6551 of 141222/19/13 at 8:49amQuote:
Speak for yourself. I think Taft looked great. As did Churchill and many other famous gentlemen of less "athletic" build.
In a clothing forum, saying that fat guys should focus on losing weight is only marginally more relevant than saying short guys should focus on growing taller.post #6552 of 141222/19/13 at 8:50amQuote:
A fat man might not look healthier, but he sure as hell may look better...
It's not about "hiding" that big belly or making a fat man look like a perfectly built mannequin, which is impossible. The goal is to make everything look proportioned and presentable.
Oh, and the silhouette of Hugo Boss suits is rather ugly. No one looks good in them, even young and fit folks.
Edited by RDiaz - 2/19/13 at 9:03ampost #6553 of 141222/19/13 at 8:51amQuote:
have you ever been to the north west of Spain? Visit Salamanca during January. Don't forget your snow shoes.
But when has climate ever prohibited someone from wearing a three piece suit. One of the few things I learned in Hong Kong.
Regarding vests.I believe vests are great to hide a belly but I stand with my point that they look out of place on the younger crowd or the very young looking crowd such as myself.
Every piece of clothing looks best on physically fit people but that's no secret.post #6554 of 141222/19/13 at 9:09amQuote:
You pulled off high-rise "old fogey pants" rather well - I don't think a vest would look bad on you. Just don't wear it with a pocket watch, a monocle, a bowler hat and a canepost #6555 of 141222/19/13 at 9:16am
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Edward Green GALWAY (10.5UK) just now
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE: 19 October - 29 October: The Sleaze Challenge 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 2 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 5 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 7 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 9 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...