Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:52 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 2:03 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 8:21 am in Classic Menswear
- ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ Last post on Today at 2:38 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 437
Styleforum Top Pickspost #6542 of 139342/19/13 at 8:00ampost #6543 of 139342/19/13 at 8:01ampost #6544 of 139342/19/13 at 8:04amThread Starterpost #6545 of 139342/19/13 at 8:05amQuote:
Yes, I believe most of us agree with you. I think a large man in a (good) three piece suit actually looks much better than a skinny man in a three piece suit, hence my post of Taft. It projects a degree of gravitas and self-assurance that is just not easily faked. But that may be a minority opinion.post #6546 of 139342/19/13 at 8:21amQuote:Presumably . . . that is why Abel was able to offer a pleasing sacrifice with the fat of lambs, whereas waistcoat-wearing Cain was stuck with day-old produce. It is hard to see here, but - trust me - Cain is wearing a waistcoat:post #6547 of 139342/19/13 at 8:22ampost #6548 of 139342/19/13 at 8:36amIf you have a big belly and you're serious about looking good, neither a vest nor an expert bespoke tailor can make you look as good as a thin guy in a fused Hugo Boss suit.
I think that big men have fantasies about getting their trousers tailored such that the waist band sits at exactly the right spot and masks their belly and therefore they look smashing and dashing, etc.
A big belly is a big belly. Before spending 5 racks a pop on bespoke, hire a trainer and get your eating under control.
Desu is the maximum level of "bigness" you can be without looking like a big cartoon in pinstripes.
And he has that sort of 'brick shithouse' build where he's not even fat so much as thickly built.
But the bottom line is that looking good is hard and a big belly makes it essentially impossible.post #6549 of 139342/19/13 at 8:43ampost #6550 of 139342/19/13 at 8:48amQuote:
Most people discussing this are entirely missing the point. For some people the choice is not between being rotund in great clothes and being skinny in shitty clothes. The question at hand is, given your body type, what should you wear to make you look your best.
Some posters seem to prefer to flaunt their own youth or leanness at older and/or heavier men, which is pointless. FWIW, I have no dog in this fight as I'm 6'2 195, so not really skinny but not really heavy either. But I don't see the point of telling heavier guys to just go lose 50 pounds before they even think about clothes if they have no desire or ability to change their weight.post #6551 of 139342/19/13 at 8:49amQuote:
Speak for yourself. I think Taft looked great. As did Churchill and many other famous gentlemen of less "athletic" build.
In a clothing forum, saying that fat guys should focus on losing weight is only marginally more relevant than saying short guys should focus on growing taller.post #6552 of 139342/19/13 at 8:50amQuote:
A fat man might not look healthier, but he sure as hell may look better...
It's not about "hiding" that big belly or making a fat man look like a perfectly built mannequin, which is impossible. The goal is to make everything look proportioned and presentable.
Oh, and the silhouette of Hugo Boss suits is rather ugly. No one looks good in them, even young and fit folks.
Edited by RDiaz - 2/19/13 at 9:03ampost #6553 of 139342/19/13 at 8:51amQuote:
have you ever been to the north west of Spain? Visit Salamanca during January. Don't forget your snow shoes.
But when has climate ever prohibited someone from wearing a three piece suit. One of the few things I learned in Hong Kong.
Regarding vests.I believe vests are great to hide a belly but I stand with my point that they look out of place on the younger crowd or the very young looking crowd such as myself.
Every piece of clothing looks best on physically fit people but that's no secret.post #6554 of 139342/19/13 at 9:09amQuote:
You pulled off high-rise "old fogey pants" rather well - I don't think a vest would look bad on you. Just don't wear it with a pocket watch, a monocle, a bowler hat and a cane
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 22 seconds ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 28 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 1 minute ago
- › Australian Members 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 4 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 5 minutes ago
- › BORIS BIDJAN SABERI horse leather jacket FW 12-13 ! SUPER SALE. 8 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 8 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan