Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 11:49 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 9:25 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Fall Styles for the Tailored ManLast edited: 10/14/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 437
Styleforum Top Pickspost #6542 of 139962/19/13 at 8:00ampost #6543 of 139962/19/13 at 8:01ampost #6544 of 139962/19/13 at 8:04amThread Starterpost #6545 of 139962/19/13 at 8:05amQuote:
Yes, I believe most of us agree with you. I think a large man in a (good) three piece suit actually looks much better than a skinny man in a three piece suit, hence my post of Taft. It projects a degree of gravitas and self-assurance that is just not easily faked. But that may be a minority opinion.post #6546 of 139962/19/13 at 8:21amQuote:Presumably . . . that is why Abel was able to offer a pleasing sacrifice with the fat of lambs, whereas waistcoat-wearing Cain was stuck with day-old produce. It is hard to see here, but - trust me - Cain is wearing a waistcoat:post #6547 of 139962/19/13 at 8:22ampost #6548 of 139962/19/13 at 8:36amIf you have a big belly and you're serious about looking good, neither a vest nor an expert bespoke tailor can make you look as good as a thin guy in a fused Hugo Boss suit.
I think that big men have fantasies about getting their trousers tailored such that the waist band sits at exactly the right spot and masks their belly and therefore they look smashing and dashing, etc.
A big belly is a big belly. Before spending 5 racks a pop on bespoke, hire a trainer and get your eating under control.
Desu is the maximum level of "bigness" you can be without looking like a big cartoon in pinstripes.
And he has that sort of 'brick shithouse' build where he's not even fat so much as thickly built.
But the bottom line is that looking good is hard and a big belly makes it essentially impossible.post #6549 of 139962/19/13 at 8:43ampost #6550 of 139962/19/13 at 8:48amQuote:
Most people discussing this are entirely missing the point. For some people the choice is not between being rotund in great clothes and being skinny in shitty clothes. The question at hand is, given your body type, what should you wear to make you look your best.
Some posters seem to prefer to flaunt their own youth or leanness at older and/or heavier men, which is pointless. FWIW, I have no dog in this fight as I'm 6'2 195, so not really skinny but not really heavy either. But I don't see the point of telling heavier guys to just go lose 50 pounds before they even think about clothes if they have no desire or ability to change their weight.post #6551 of 139962/19/13 at 8:49amQuote:
Speak for yourself. I think Taft looked great. As did Churchill and many other famous gentlemen of less "athletic" build.
In a clothing forum, saying that fat guys should focus on losing weight is only marginally more relevant than saying short guys should focus on growing taller.post #6552 of 139962/19/13 at 8:50amQuote:
A fat man might not look healthier, but he sure as hell may look better...
It's not about "hiding" that big belly or making a fat man look like a perfectly built mannequin, which is impossible. The goal is to make everything look proportioned and presentable.
Oh, and the silhouette of Hugo Boss suits is rather ugly. No one looks good in them, even young and fit folks.
Edited by RDiaz - 2/19/13 at 9:03ampost #6553 of 139962/19/13 at 8:51amQuote:
have you ever been to the north west of Spain? Visit Salamanca during January. Don't forget your snow shoes.
But when has climate ever prohibited someone from wearing a three piece suit. One of the few things I learned in Hong Kong.
Regarding vests.I believe vests are great to hide a belly but I stand with my point that they look out of place on the younger crowd or the very young looking crowd such as myself.
Every piece of clothing looks best on physically fit people but that's no secret.post #6554 of 139962/19/13 at 9:09amQuote:
You pulled off high-rise "old fogey pants" rather well - I don't think a vest would look bad on you. Just don't wear it with a pocket watch, a monocle, a bowler hat and a cane
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Australian Members 5 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 12 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 14 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 21 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 25 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 34 minutes ago
- › Rogue Territory: Handmade Denim Goods 36 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 43 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 52 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories