Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 11/15/13 at 12:30pm in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Bison Made
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Four Horsemen Shop
- GABE Tailored
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Jeffrey George
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Upstate Stock
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 437
Styleforum Top Pickspost #6542 of 115262/19/13 at 8:00ampost #6543 of 115262/19/13 at 8:01ampost #6544 of 115262/19/13 at 8:04amThread Starterpost #6545 of 115262/19/13 at 8:05amQuote:
Yes, I believe most of us agree with you. I think a large man in a (good) three piece suit actually looks much better than a skinny man in a three piece suit, hence my post of Taft. It projects a degree of gravitas and self-assurance that is just not easily faked. But that may be a minority opinion.post #6546 of 115262/19/13 at 8:21amQuote:Presumably . . . that is why Abel was able to offer a pleasing sacrifice with the fat of lambs, whereas waistcoat-wearing Cain was stuck with day-old produce. It is hard to see here, but - trust me - Cain is wearing a waistcoat:post #6547 of 115262/19/13 at 8:22ampost #6548 of 115262/19/13 at 8:36amIf you have a big belly and you're serious about looking good, neither a vest nor an expert bespoke tailor can make you look as good as a thin guy in a fused Hugo Boss suit.
I think that big men have fantasies about getting their trousers tailored such that the waist band sits at exactly the right spot and masks their belly and therefore they look smashing and dashing, etc.
A big belly is a big belly. Before spending 5 racks a pop on bespoke, hire a trainer and get your eating under control.
Desu is the maximum level of "bigness" you can be without looking like a big cartoon in pinstripes.
And he has that sort of 'brick shithouse' build where he's not even fat so much as thickly built.
But the bottom line is that looking good is hard and a big belly makes it essentially impossible.post #6549 of 115262/19/13 at 8:43ampost #6550 of 115262/19/13 at 8:48amQuote:
Most people discussing this are entirely missing the point. For some people the choice is not between being rotund in great clothes and being skinny in shitty clothes. The question at hand is, given your body type, what should you wear to make you look your best.
Some posters seem to prefer to flaunt their own youth or leanness at older and/or heavier men, which is pointless. FWIW, I have no dog in this fight as I'm 6'2 195, so not really skinny but not really heavy either. But I don't see the point of telling heavier guys to just go lose 50 pounds before they even think about clothes if they have no desire or ability to change their weight.post #6551 of 115262/19/13 at 8:49amQuote:
Speak for yourself. I think Taft looked great. As did Churchill and many other famous gentlemen of less "athletic" build.
In a clothing forum, saying that fat guys should focus on losing weight is only marginally more relevant than saying short guys should focus on growing taller.post #6552 of 115262/19/13 at 8:50amQuote:
A fat man might not look healthier, but he sure as hell may look better...
It's not about "hiding" that big belly or making a fat man look like a perfectly built mannequin, which is impossible. The goal is to make everything look proportioned and presentable.
Oh, and the silhouette of Hugo Boss suits is rather ugly. No one looks good in them, even young and fit folks.
Edited by RDiaz - 2/19/13 at 9:03ampost #6553 of 115262/19/13 at 8:51amQuote:
have you ever been to the north west of Spain? Visit Salamanca during January. Don't forget your snow shoes.
But when has climate ever prohibited someone from wearing a three piece suit. One of the few things I learned in Hong Kong.
Regarding vests.I believe vests are great to hide a belly but I stand with my point that they look out of place on the younger crowd or the very young looking crowd such as myself.
Every piece of clothing looks best on physically fit people but that's no secret.post #6554 of 115262/19/13 at 9:09amQuote:
You pulled off high-rise "old fogey pants" rather well - I don't think a vest would look bad on you. Just don't wear it with a pocket watch, a monocle, a bowler hat and a cane
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Official Sales Alert thread 1 second ago
- › The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread 40 seconds ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Naked & Famous Skinny Guy Royalcast Sz 33 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 3 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition 3 minutes ago
- › The Architecture Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › Herschel Ravine Black/Tan FA 12 by pfmicks
- › Vans Footwear The Barbour Classic Slip On Sneaker,10.5,Green by ATLnoob
- › Berg & Berg unlined silk bow tie (SS'13) by MTB-85
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw