I don't have them on my shirts so I'm genuinely curious why you find them impractical.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 408post #6106 of 135892/11/13 at 2:46pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #6107 of 135892/11/13 at 2:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
My understanding is that they were created by T&A and popularized by one of the Bond films. This kind of early attempt at branding and marketing may be what's still befouling their reputation in the anti-branding iGent culture. Personally I think they look kind of cool in picture but I don't have any. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it. I've heard they're a huge pain to clean though - if you don't have somebody good, they'll probably screw it up.
i thought they did that for a reason for bonds character.post #6108 of 135892/11/13 at 2:50pmQuote:
The cocktail cuff tends to catch on things much easier than a French Cuff with a link to keep the turn backed fabric neatly cinched in. Maybe you need to be smooth like JB to wear thempost #6109 of 135892/11/13 at 2:51pm
I have also heard them referred to as Neapolitan cuffs and as I am living here for a few years I might be able to get away with a few. Perhaps on a simple pale blue shirt they may add a small touch.
I am not an overtly showy guy- but I am all for a tasteful flourish here and there. These cuffs seem like a reasonable allowance- but I thought I'd ask for your thoughts- I appreciate your responses!post #6110 of 135892/11/13 at 2:54pmpost #6111 of 135892/11/13 at 2:54pmQuote:
You might well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.post #6112 of 135892/11/13 at 3:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy
I think you'll get wild-y disparate opinions on turn-back cuffs on shirts, with some saying it makes one look affected, and others saying it'll look good. I say, if Bond (played by Connery) wore it, it's good enough for me.
I'll be sending some stuff to Naples. I've heard a lot about the problems with the Italian post (not sure if it's founded or not), and want to know if it's safe for me to send it via regular mail? Since you're in Naples, any feedback?
Strange that you should ask this- my wife and I were just talking this morning-
We receive packages from Japan pretty often from my in-laws. They have all arrived in a reasonable window, but we have to pay a customs fee. But here's the stinger- my mum-in-law has been paying this fee already, but the delivery company has been charging us again. Assholes.
PM me if you want to discuss this further. I might be able to be of some assistance.
P.S. I have a good friend from Japan who is a sushi chef in London. If you are into sushi let me know.post #6113 of 135892/11/13 at 3:02pmpost #6114 of 135892/11/13 at 3:41pm
Just in case the question is missed by posting it elsewhere - I'm wondering where does silk reppe fall in the formality scale?
I'm not talking about repp stripes, but silk reppe construction, as in http://www.drakes-london.com/woven-solid-reppe-silk-bespoke
I notice my wardrobe is in desperate need of burgundy/wine coloured ties, which would pair well with everything I have, but until I get some money, all I have is a solid burgundy reppe silk tie, which is actually the first tie I ever bought. Would it be coherent to wear it with odd jackets? I'm thinking it's a bit too shiny and thus formal, but I may be wrong.post #6115 of 135892/11/13 at 3:42pmpost #6116 of 135892/11/13 at 3:43pmpost #6117 of 135892/11/13 at 4:42pmpost #6118 of 135892/11/13 at 5:12pmpost #6119 of 135892/11/13 at 5:25pmpost #6120 of 135892/11/13 at 7:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Originally Posted by Balfour
True, but the 0520 is not really grey/blue (at least not compared to say the fresco mohair 0577 that I'm considering having a suit made up in).]
I agree. Nothing remotely grey about it.
[Originally Posted by RogerC
It is not a "blazer" fabric in the sense of the traditional New England version. I find it a shade of blue, however, that works quite well as an odd jacket with light grey trousers.]
Same here. Perfect for summer.
If you're wedded to navy then it isn't what you want. But IMO it's just as good - in this instance - as navy.
So if it's the 0520 is not greyish at all, what does Manton and Foo have against it as a blazer fabric? Seems like a great choice to me. I don't want new England navy, but am particularly looking for something lighter, that can work as a day time blazer and suit. Blogger blue if you will.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Official Sales Alert thread 17 seconds ago
- › Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 8 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 8 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 11 minutes ago
- › Seiko SKX009 11 minutes ago
- › what color/style Tod's to buy? 12 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 12 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...