I don't have them on my shirts so I'm genuinely curious why you find them impractical.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:24 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 11:10 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: Yesterday
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 408post #6106 of 140382/11/13 at 2:46pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #6107 of 140382/11/13 at 2:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
My understanding is that they were created by T&A and popularized by one of the Bond films. This kind of early attempt at branding and marketing may be what's still befouling their reputation in the anti-branding iGent culture. Personally I think they look kind of cool in picture but I don't have any. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it. I've heard they're a huge pain to clean though - if you don't have somebody good, they'll probably screw it up.
i thought they did that for a reason for bonds character.post #6108 of 140382/11/13 at 2:50pmQuote:
The cocktail cuff tends to catch on things much easier than a French Cuff with a link to keep the turn backed fabric neatly cinched in. Maybe you need to be smooth like JB to wear thempost #6109 of 140382/11/13 at 2:51pm
I have also heard them referred to as Neapolitan cuffs and as I am living here for a few years I might be able to get away with a few. Perhaps on a simple pale blue shirt they may add a small touch.
I am not an overtly showy guy- but I am all for a tasteful flourish here and there. These cuffs seem like a reasonable allowance- but I thought I'd ask for your thoughts- I appreciate your responses!post #6110 of 140382/11/13 at 2:54pmpost #6111 of 140382/11/13 at 2:54pmQuote:
You might well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.post #6112 of 140382/11/13 at 3:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy
I think you'll get wild-y disparate opinions on turn-back cuffs on shirts, with some saying it makes one look affected, and others saying it'll look good. I say, if Bond (played by Connery) wore it, it's good enough for me.
I'll be sending some stuff to Naples. I've heard a lot about the problems with the Italian post (not sure if it's founded or not), and want to know if it's safe for me to send it via regular mail? Since you're in Naples, any feedback?
Strange that you should ask this- my wife and I were just talking this morning-
We receive packages from Japan pretty often from my in-laws. They have all arrived in a reasonable window, but we have to pay a customs fee. But here's the stinger- my mum-in-law has been paying this fee already, but the delivery company has been charging us again. Assholes.
PM me if you want to discuss this further. I might be able to be of some assistance.
P.S. I have a good friend from Japan who is a sushi chef in London. If you are into sushi let me know.post #6113 of 140382/11/13 at 3:02pmpost #6114 of 140382/11/13 at 3:41pm
Just in case the question is missed by posting it elsewhere - I'm wondering where does silk reppe fall in the formality scale?
I'm not talking about repp stripes, but silk reppe construction, as in http://www.drakes-london.com/woven-solid-reppe-silk-bespoke
I notice my wardrobe is in desperate need of burgundy/wine coloured ties, which would pair well with everything I have, but until I get some money, all I have is a solid burgundy reppe silk tie, which is actually the first tie I ever bought. Would it be coherent to wear it with odd jackets? I'm thinking it's a bit too shiny and thus formal, but I may be wrong.post #6115 of 140382/11/13 at 3:42pmpost #6116 of 140382/11/13 at 3:43pmpost #6117 of 140382/11/13 at 4:42pmpost #6118 of 140382/11/13 at 5:12pmpost #6119 of 140382/11/13 at 5:25pmpost #6120 of 140382/11/13 at 7:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Originally Posted by Balfour
True, but the 0520 is not really grey/blue (at least not compared to say the fresco mohair 0577 that I'm considering having a suit made up in).]
I agree. Nothing remotely grey about it.
[Originally Posted by RogerC
It is not a "blazer" fabric in the sense of the traditional New England version. I find it a shade of blue, however, that works quite well as an odd jacket with light grey trousers.]
Same here. Perfect for summer.
If you're wedded to navy then it isn't what you want. But IMO it's just as good - in this instance - as navy.
So if it's the 0520 is not greyish at all, what does Manton and Foo have against it as a blazer fabric? Seems like a great choice to me. I don't want new England navy, but am particularly looking for something lighter, that can work as a day time blazer and suit. Blogger blue if you will.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › What music are you listening to lately? 54 seconds ago
- › Video Games 4 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 7 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 7 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 7 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 12 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 20 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 26 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 26 minutes ago
- › WTB: Stephan Schneider Merino Coat (BLACK) - 4/5 27 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...