or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 5

post #61 of 12603
I'm flattered that the outfit merits such spirited debate but did you guys see my post about the tie being the same exact one vox is wearing ? And the jacket is just navy.
post #62 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

I'm flattered that the outfit merits such spirited debate but did you guys see my post about the tie being the same exact one vox is wearing ? And the jacket is just navy.

Maybe the saturation and brightness on your camera are just punched up really high, but I don't like the tie in Vox's photo either.

At any rate, even if giving you the benefit of the doubt in real life, the version on the computer screen is a good starting point for a lesson in working with solid colors, particularly bold, primary ones. If you want to feature a punchy color, like cherry red, you need to balance it out by subduing the color saturation of the rest of your outfit (hence, Dopey's suggestion of a tan suit makes good sense--imagine a yellow suit instead, and you get the picture).

That said, I think punchy, primary colors are best avoided in any large quantity, and your tie is a sort of outfit centerpiece. If wearing a red tie, I'd err on the side of a darker, more subdued tone.

edevolved.jpg
post #63 of 12603
qm35ql.jpg
post #64 of 12603
Moo, you've come a long way since the sock-square and shorts. Well done.
post #65 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

This thread, so far, does not leave a good impression...I nearly vomited in my mouth at some of these combos.

frown.gif now i am cold[1].gif about posting a pic in here.
post #66 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I don't have a problem with bold colors. What I don't like is the use of two bright, bold primary colors in large pattern-less expanses, with little to marry them. Well, you know what? The suit would be perfectly fine by itself. But a solid cherry red tie is an auto-fail. It is, by definition, cartoonish--as you pretty much only see them in cartoons.

I think we're talking past each other. My comment was adjusted pro forma for ed's earlier statement that the colors were not very accurate and his reference to vox's tie for better accuracy. But I quoted your post from before that clarification, so my bad for making things more confusing than necessary. If colors were true to this highly saaturated picture, I'd agree with you. Pro forma for ed's comment, I think it looks totally fine and certainly within the scope of good taste
post #67 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

I think we're talking past each other. My comment was adjusted pro forma for ed's earlier statement that the colors were not very accurate and his reference to vox's tie for better accuracy. But I quoted your post from before that clarification, so my bad for making things more confusing than necessary. If colors were true to this highly saaturated picture, I'd agree with you. Pro forma for ed's comment, I think it looks totally fine and certainly within the scope of good taste

I gotcha. But I don't like the red tie, even in Vox's photo. It is not impossible to wear, like the bright red depiction we see in Ed's photo, but it is still difficult and not a particularly nice looking tie by itself, so I wouldn't put in the effort. Also, it's pairing it with a very saturated blue suit that is the problem. We make fun of American politicians for dressing this way. Ed can do, and typically does do, much better.

What did you think of the modifications I posted on this page?
post #68 of 12603
I'll give it a shot. Sorry for the iPhone photo, and apologies to gdl for stealing his pose/setting.

7d04a0a9.jpg

Aaron
post #69 of 12603
Moo

I must say, I actually really like the last combo. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut?

gazman

I don't want you to take this the wrong way but I think you could use a little restraint when deciding on pulling things together. You have a lot of nice stuff (your shoe collection is unheralded) but those combos illustrate a lack of a point of view / focus.

For example, I like everything about the first combo but the tie throws it all off (too shiny / dressy for a tweed) – a mustard colored knit would work a lot better. (Is the shirt light blue?)
post #70 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman70k View Post

Moo, you've come a long way since the sock-square and shorts. Well done.

yeah totally, Moo, my only issue is the BD collar shirt with no tiespace, eats up the tie knot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

frown.gif now i am cold[1].gif about posting a pic in here.

I think that is an issue with these type of threads, people put in a lot of critiques (not that I am bothered by foo's critique) and it scares others away from posting, which defeats the purpose of the thread to me at least. Of course the other side of the coin is that if there is no critique and only +1's, then that defeats the purpose of the thread.
post #71 of 12603
I will try again as well:

7683916470_8ae0b080a7.jpg
post #72 of 12603
This thread could benefit from fallowing more closely to the non-rules thread.

Axelman, that looks great!
post #73 of 12603
aaron and axel - good but safe combos. Solid blue suits are great because they allow for a lot more shirt and tie diversity. Take advantage of this if you can and be mindful of texture and playing colors off each other.
post #74 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post


I don't want you to take this the wrong way but I think you could use a little restraint when deciding on pulling things together. You have a lot of nice stuff (your shoe collection is unheralded) but those combos illustrate a lack of a point of view / focus.

I was actually going to say this about the outfit you posted confused.gif
post #75 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post


I was actually going to say this about the outfit you posted confused.gif

 

+1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread