or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 400

post #5986 of 13373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking View Post

There's nothing wrong with having a dedicated red and white shirt for one outfit. I have several...
Most people gave a dedicated tattersall for their tweed jacket...
And while I have your attention Foo, please tell me why charcoal pants are hated so.

There is something wrong with that--when everything you have in your wardrobe can only be paired with one thing or another. Then, you don't have a wardrobe, you have a collection of outfits. There is no room for adaptation in that setup, and being adaptable is at the heart of style.

Charcoal odd trousers are a good example of what I mean. It's not that they literally always look bad. It's that they are very rarely the optimal choice.

If this were The foo.gif Guide to Sartorial Logistics, this would be a fine point, but from a taste standpoint, it's utterly off-topic. Particularly for a man who has the basics covered, there really is nothing wrong with having a shirt with limited versatility. And your objection to darker gray odd trousers is idiosyncratic. Plenty of tasteful, stylish men like and wear them.
post #5987 of 13373
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

If this were The foo.gif Guide to Sartorial Logistics, this would be a fine point, but from a taste standpoint, it's utterly off-topic. Particularly for a man who has the basics covered, there really is nothing wrong with having a shirt with limited versatility. And your objection to darker gray odd trousers is idiosyncratic. Plenty of tasteful, stylish men like and wear them.

On this, I want to post an outfit that i'm having trouble getting right.

It will be completely distasteful to this thread.

But i need to figure out what trousers are going to look best with a particular jacket that I have, and you guys are probably the best ones to help me in this regard. also with the pocketsquare.
post #5988 of 13373
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post


On this, I want to post an outfit that i'm having trouble getting right.

It will be completely distasteful to this thread.

But i need to figure out what trousers are going to look best with a particular jacket that I have, and you guys are probably the best ones to help me in this regard. also with the pocketsquare.


Why don't you do a livestream from your closet? You have a lavalier microphone, right?

post #5989 of 13373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

I can't agree with 'brutally' fancy - at least not in the bit of the south and midlands that I've seen. But they are patterned and distinctive colors.

Everything else seems spot on.

Well, it seems to me there is method to the madness. You find the most outrageous colours in simple patterns: windowpanes and tattersalls. The more complex a pattern gets (PoW, gun club), the more sedate or harmonious the colours become. In contrast, I find Italian jacketing often combines very complex patterns with very vibrant colours, which is a different sort of aesthetic.
post #5990 of 13373
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

If this were The foo.gif Guide to Sartorial Logistics, this would be a fine point, but from a taste standpoint, it's utterly off-topic. Particularly for a man who has the basics covered, there really is nothing wrong with having a shirt with limited versatility. And your objection to darker gray odd trousers is idiosyncratic. Plenty of tasteful, stylish men like and wear them.

I am simply promoting a more holistic view, as opposed to the single instance, outfit-oriented perspective that dominates. I have said a thousand times, certain things like charcoal odd trousers (not simply "darker grey") or a red striped shirt can be worn to great effect. However, more often, they are not. Through what I've observed and my own experience, one's likelihood of putting together a "good taste" outfit highly increases when one first carefully edits his wardrobe. The big flaw with your approach is that you wind up constantly hunting for exceptions to general rules. Consequently, it's not surprising when everything in one's wardrobe winds up an exception to this or that, and none of it looks right together--unless worn just so. You wind up with a collection of outfits with a limited, defined set of possibilities, as opposed to a flexible, adaptable wardrobe that allows exponentially more permutations.
post #5991 of 13373

dude, i feel like i am in logic 101 class. please refrain from applying your admirable debating skills to  a topic that is just not that important.

post #5992 of 13373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespokenfor View Post

dude, i feel like i am in logic 101 class. please refrain from applying your admirable debating skills to  a topic that is just not that important.

I really don't understand what you're finding troubling. I'm simply spelling out an idea and approach.
post #5993 of 13373

 Quote:

Originally Posted by bespokenfor View Post

dude, i feel like i am in logic 101 class. please refrain from applying your admirable debating skills to a topic that is just not that important.

 

 

How on earth is an approach to building a versatile wardrobe not important? It's the foundation for everything, and so many people are doing it wrong that I believe it's a very important topic.

post #5994 of 13373
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I really don't understand what you're finding troubling. I'm simply spelling out an idea and approach.
Why did you even respond to that post?
post #5995 of 13373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Why did you even respond to that post?

Why don't you give your house a name so we can have a rockin' party?
post #5996 of 13373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Why don't you give your house a name so we can have a rockin' party?

Manton Abbey?

marchal.gif
post #5997 of 13373
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

Manton Abbey?

marchal.gif

I was thinking "The Mant-sion," but yours is much better.
post #5998 of 13373
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC View Post

I have a preponderance of blue shirts, too. They're easy. I think I have maybe three white shirts and one of them is formal.

what i have learned, is that even with a plethora of solid blue shirts, its still not easy task to get things right. shade, texture ......all play in. getting the blue shirts is step one for me, next is understanding how to use each one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

...You wind up with a collection of outfits with a limited, defined set of possibilities, as opposed to a flexible, adaptable wardrobe that allows exponentially more permutations.

and the biggest bother to me with that, is that you then feel like you are wearing the same thing over and over, as opposed to having a few SCs, a few pairs of pents, a few suits, and a bunch of ties, and some shirts, and being able to make a multitude of combinations out of them. keeps things lively. tbh, i dont thing you and SB really disagree on this one, i think you are both just talking to different points.
post #5999 of 13373
Thread Starter 
To all the dark pents doubters, foo is completely right.

It's true that dark pents don't ALWAYS look bad, but they are inherently "outfitty" in that they don't go with much. They look nice with lightish gray odd jackets but the problem is that lightish gray odd jackets mostly look like shit. So you have this pair of charcoal trousers that maybe goes with one jacket which is an outlier in itself. So now you're sunk two expensive items that only work with each other and that you can't wear that often. Dumb.

Dark gray pents also look like complete shit with a blazer, worse than "security guard," more like, "oh, that poor colorblind man doesn't realize that he has worn his gray suit pants with his blue suit coat, he must be a bachelor."

Medium to light, OTOH, go with everything and look great doing so, so what's not to like?
post #6000 of 13373
going to have to agree to disagree on the dark pants and also, if you already have an extensive wardrobe, there is nothing wrong with having a few items that go with next to nothing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread