Nope. It's not about counting patterns, at least to me. In this case I think stripes would tie everything together better than a solid.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:16 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 11:00 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?Last edited: Yesterday
- Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 384post #5746 of 140382/7/13 at 5:36am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5747 of 140382/7/13 at 5:37ampost #5748 of 140382/7/13 at 5:38amQuote:
Theoretically this is doable, but easy to fuck up. If he had done the standard OCBD-style candy stripes with the first outfit, for example, it would have been a total fail. It calls for bengal stripes so as to avoid being too close in density to the square and jacket.post #5749 of 140382/7/13 at 5:39ampost #5750 of 140382/7/13 at 5:41ampost #5751 of 140382/7/13 at 5:43amQuote:
I think I know what you mean, and I have just the shirt for this. Well, we'll see if I do. I'll try and post something in the next few days.post #5752 of 140382/7/13 at 5:45ampost #5753 of 140382/7/13 at 5:49amFor comparison, here's the same suit and similar tie with a plain white shirt. I think light blue makes for too much bright/light blue with this suit. Also in this case I was wearing the suit in the evening (hence the silk square, in a fold will surely hate, rather than a linen one):
I think the white shirt gives it a much more clean, formal look. In the case of Caustic's fit, that's working against everything else his outfit is trying to do. To my eyes, the plain blue in the middle is like an odd hiatus from the pattern-dense stuff everywhere else. Not in a good, contrasty way, but in just an I-couldn't-think-of-anything-else-to-put-here way.post #5754 of 140382/7/13 at 5:58amQuote:
I think the herringbone shirt is a fail though. I think a stanadard light blue broadcloth, or ocbd would look better.post #5755 of 140382/7/13 at 6:13am
This shirt is probably not in good taste at all by itself, but since it was my only available clean shirt I built the whole ensemble around it, and I'm interested to know if I did well in that respect. If this is a total trainwreck I'll banish it from this thread.The shirt is white with a blue and burgundy overcheck, and the DB blazer is dark navy. Maybe the blue knit tie and hints of burgundy in the square makes everything a bit too matchy overall?
Edited by RDiaz - 2/7/13 at 8:59ampost #5756 of 140382/7/13 at 6:19ampost #5757 of 140382/7/13 at 6:24amQuote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
In the case of Caustic's fit, that's working against everything else his outfit is trying to do. To my eyes, the plain blue in the middle is like an odd hiatus from the pattern-dense stuff everywhere else. Not in a good, contrasty way, but in just an I-couldn't-think-of-anything-else-to-put-here way.
I can see what you are saying, and I know this doesn't come through very well in the photo, but the shirt is a two tone oxford weave. Maybe still not optimal for this application, but definitely not a fully solid shirt.post #5758 of 140382/7/13 at 6:26ampost #5759 of 140382/7/13 at 6:29am
Yeah, very difficult to take a decent close-up picture with a phone and this jacket; it's so dark that even on lowest exposure, everything else looks too bright
If I had one I'd have chosen a lighter and less saturated blue tie, guess that would have helped. Would this be OK with a cream silk square, or is it too formal for such a dressed down blazer outfit?
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 second ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › The Possibly Official Engineered Garments Trading Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store 3 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Missing posters 5 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 7 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 7 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 7 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...