Nope. It's not about counting patterns, at least to me. In this case I think stripes would tie everything together better than a solid.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 384post #5746 of 125642/7/13 at 5:36am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5747 of 125642/7/13 at 5:37ampost #5748 of 125642/7/13 at 5:38amQuote:
Theoretically this is doable, but easy to fuck up. If he had done the standard OCBD-style candy stripes with the first outfit, for example, it would have been a total fail. It calls for bengal stripes so as to avoid being too close in density to the square and jacket.post #5749 of 125642/7/13 at 5:39ampost #5750 of 125642/7/13 at 5:41ampost #5751 of 125642/7/13 at 5:43amQuote:
I think I know what you mean, and I have just the shirt for this. Well, we'll see if I do. I'll try and post something in the next few days.post #5752 of 125642/7/13 at 5:45ampost #5753 of 125642/7/13 at 5:49amFor comparison, here's the same suit and similar tie with a plain white shirt. I think light blue makes for too much bright/light blue with this suit. Also in this case I was wearing the suit in the evening (hence the silk square, in a fold will surely hate, rather than a linen one):
I think the white shirt gives it a much more clean, formal look. In the case of Caustic's fit, that's working against everything else his outfit is trying to do. To my eyes, the plain blue in the middle is like an odd hiatus from the pattern-dense stuff everywhere else. Not in a good, contrasty way, but in just an I-couldn't-think-of-anything-else-to-put-here way.post #5754 of 125642/7/13 at 5:58amQuote:
I think the herringbone shirt is a fail though. I think a stanadard light blue broadcloth, or ocbd would look better.post #5755 of 125642/7/13 at 6:13am
This shirt is probably not in good taste at all by itself, but since it was my only available clean shirt I built the whole ensemble around it, and I'm interested to know if I did well in that respect. If this is a total trainwreck I'll banish it from this thread.The shirt is white with a blue and burgundy overcheck, and the DB blazer is dark navy. Maybe the blue knit tie and hints of burgundy in the square makes everything a bit too matchy overall?
Edited by RDiaz - 2/7/13 at 8:59ampost #5756 of 125642/7/13 at 6:19ampost #5757 of 125642/7/13 at 6:24amQuote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
In the case of Caustic's fit, that's working against everything else his outfit is trying to do. To my eyes, the plain blue in the middle is like an odd hiatus from the pattern-dense stuff everywhere else. Not in a good, contrasty way, but in just an I-couldn't-think-of-anything-else-to-put-here way.
I can see what you are saying, and I know this doesn't come through very well in the photo, but the shirt is a two tone oxford weave. Maybe still not optimal for this application, but definitely not a fully solid shirt.post #5758 of 125642/7/13 at 6:26ampost #5759 of 125642/7/13 at 6:29am
Yeah, very difficult to take a decent close-up picture with a phone and this jacket; it's so dark that even on lowest exposure, everything else looks too bright
If I had one I'd have chosen a lighter and less saturated blue tie, guess that would have helped. Would this be OK with a cream silk square, or is it too formal for such a dressed down blazer outfit?
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 1 minute ago
- › NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Flat Waxed Shoe Laces? 4 minutes ago
- › VTG Andover Shop 100% CASHEMERE Overcoat in Perfect Condition! Size... 4 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 5 minutes ago
- › 2014-2015 OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD (+ Brazil 2014) - Football, Soccer,... 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › Howard Yount: Affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 9 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)