Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 378post #5656 of 126022/6/13 at 7:15am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5657 of 126022/6/13 at 7:15amQuote:
Thanks for taking the time to do this -- I think I'll need to develop my eye for pairing blues a little better. I'll also need to pay more attention to how things look when worn -- the pattern density on the tie and the square are very different laid out, but stuffed into a pocket they look similar.
Quick questions: I have two squares that aren't quite cream silk -- one is a very slightly off-white (such that it reads as white, unless you put it next to something white), and the other is more of a champagne color. I was tempted to use the second, but I decided not to because it seemed too close to the stripe in the tie. Would that have been better or worse than the blue?
Here's the pic again, so you don't have to scroll around to find it.post #5658 of 126022/6/13 at 7:17amQuote:Originally Posted by dopey
I think that is because you are older -- not only have you become more conservative over time (I bet you favor brown over black less often now than you did five years ago), but also your frame of reference is different, haveing started at a time where black was more strictly the norm.
For what it's worth, I think there are many times black shoes are called for when wearing a suit. Just not here. My general rule is that you need some white for the black to make sense.post #5659 of 126022/6/13 at 7:17ampost #5660 of 126022/6/13 at 7:17amfoo - thank you for the score, more than i was expecting actually. interesting point about the stripes on the shirt being more pattern than actual stripes. i did not intend for them to be stripes, but i was hoping they would help detract from the fit being overly pattern-less. i guess not quite enough. will try and adjust that next time.
i am wearing the SC from my monochrome fit again today. i tried to pick a shirt and tie based on some of your comments from last time. i will post it later, i hope it will be considered an improvement.post #5661 of 126022/6/13 at 7:23amQuote:I didn't think you were always against black shoes. I was just saying your setpoint were different.
Your white rule is odd but not crazy. In fact, it has some sense to it, though I really think it is just about how formally the suit is being made to function. White isn't necessary for that, though it certainly can be a factor.post #5662 of 126022/6/13 at 7:27amQuote:
Choose something that is different enough. I almost always wear silk ties with tweed. I've heard admonitions against this combination, but they honestly make zero sense to me. I think the root issue is not whether the tie is made of silk, but whether the pattern is appropriate for a more rustic, casual outfit. Many times, people pair silk ties that are much more urban and suit appropriate--and that is the mistake. Silk is not the problem, and its advantage is that it is almost guaranteed to be texturally complementary.
If you want to do wool or cashmere, then you need to make sure the tie is different enough from your jacket in other ways. Such as the pattern, color, and brightness. Don't pick a wool tie with a pattern you'd see on a tweed jacket. Don't pick one in the same color--and if you do, make sure it is appreciably darker or lighter. In any case, being appreciably darker or lighter is key.Quote:
Yes, this is key.Quote:Originally Posted by RogerC
Quick questions: I have two squares that aren't quite cream silk -- one is a very slightly off-white (such that it reads as white, unless you put it next to something white), and the other is more of a champagne color. I was tempted to use the second, but I decided not to because it seemed too close to the stripe in the tie. Would that have been better or worse than the blue
Hard to say without seeing each. But I think either would have been better here. Better for the dominant color of your square to pick up on accents elsewhere rather than other thing's dominant colors.
This is analogous to liking soggy tempura. It's simply wrong and reflects a fundamental misappropriation. If you want something softer looking, use a softer material.post #5663 of 126022/6/13 at 7:42ampost #5664 of 126022/6/13 at 7:44ampost #5665 of 126022/6/13 at 7:47ampost #5666 of 126022/6/13 at 7:49amQuote:
That's certainly a fair point.Quote:
Formality is a consideration behind the rule, yes. But the main thing is that black--like white--cuts very sharply. Without some white for balance, it is usually too strong to my eyes.post #5667 of 126022/6/13 at 7:52amQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
It's not a question of what it's made of--it's a question of what it looks like and is meant to look like. These sorts of ties are common today, and the clear reference is to suiting and jacketing materials. Nobody is checking the label on your tie and going "Aha! It's not actually jacketing. We're all good."
Yes, the tie looks washed out with the shirt. But the shirt is fine with the suit, and the tie is not. Hence, the tie is the problem.
I see. I still like the tie, but I understand why it doesn't work with this outfit in particular. Madder and wool challis ties were already top priority in my fall/winter to-buy list (problem is lack of $$$); these will probably work better...post #5668 of 126022/6/13 at 8:02ampost #5669 of 126022/6/13 at 8:04amQuote:Originally Posted by in stitches
better use of the SC? any more harmonious? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
No, this is not going in the right direction. The pattern density of the tie and jacket are extremely close. Just look at the size and spacing of the details and changes in color. Also, the shirt looks very purple--not an appropriate shade for a countrified outfit.post #5670 of 126022/6/13 at 8:07amThread Starterstitch, the jacket is the problem. It has super limited usefullness. It's really a creature of the early 60s. Sell it to DocHolliday.
It almost demands a white shirt, or very pale blue or pink--so pale you have to double take to notice there's a color. Saturated colors are not good for that jacket.
The fabric would make a nice tie though. You can probably get four ties out of the two back panels. I will take one, thx.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 7 minutes ago
- › Herring Shoes - Experiences? 9 minutes ago
- › Any ideas on what to pair this Dunhill DB jacket with, if anything? 10 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 12 minutes ago
- › Wedding speech 14 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 15 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style 17 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 19 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 20 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)