or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 367

post #5491 of 12606
post #5492 of 12606
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Oh, c'mon, man. I was pandering, and you know it! This week I've been trying to calibrate the foo.gif Matic Sartorial CombiRater™. I didn't expect much love for the previous posts, but I expected this one would escape a thrashing.

I like what I'm wearing today, and I'm sure I've worn a similar combo in the past. It doesn't surprise me that we both like it because I like the way foo.gif dresses. Even if I think his spectrum of good taste is too narrow, it would be disingenuous for me to say that it doesn't work for him and couldn't work for most men.

I'm hoping that PSG will jump in and rate some fits, too. He has an adventurous, yet coherent, sense of color and pattern, and I'd love to know what he thinks.

lolz. and plus one to wanting to see PSG in here, along with some others as well.
post #5493 of 12606
With a few jarring exceptions, I think Olddog knows more about patterns and colors than pretty much anyone on this board. Before you post some of his hilarious train wrecks, please reread the prepositional phrase in sentence one.
Edited by acridsheep - 2/1/13 at 5:01pm
post #5494 of 12606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willin View Post

^Foo, regarding Axelman's ensemble. Earlier in the thread you noted how someone was wearing a dark tie with an even darker, bolder pocket square which was a fail. You noted how that person should have gone with a square with a hue that was in between that of the dark tie and the lighter shirt to tie it all together.

Axelman's square is of a hue that seems to draw the eye from the rest of the outfit yet it does not qualify as a failure? The tie is relatively light, shirt is light, etc. Could you explain some of the theory behind this? I'm just curious to pick your brain to gain a better understanding.

Axelman, I'm not trying to pick on you. I think the outfit looked great!

For reference:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

You linked back to Axelman's outfit. Where is the other one you're talking about? I can't remember. Need a pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Oh, c'mon, man. I was pandering, and you know it! This week I've been trying to calibrate the foo.gif Matic Sartorial CombiRater™.

Seems to be functioning quite well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me) View Post

speaking of pattern density; for Herringbone and Houndstooth SC, what is a better pairing of shirting, Bengal/Dress stripes or better go with solids, like end on end? mini-graph shirt seems too dense for both SC patterns. Thank you

There is a species of herringbone that is so fine and narrow that is almost appears like a shadow stripe. In that case, I'd be careful of stripes. However, if it's an ordinary medium-scale herringbone tweed, a bengal striped shirt would be great, as would a sold like end-on-end. Houndstooth also looks great with stripes. I would avoid a mini-graph check with it, though--both patterns are essentially grids. I have a few graph paper check shirts--I find they are my least favorite.
post #5495 of 12606
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Some Hank Foo today. The picture shows the hank in the Foo bend, but it just isn't my thing, so it was reconfigured later.



Also, so that we can avoid the whole glen check SC v. suit debate, this is a suit.

Those lapels are disastrously wrong. The lapel hole is almost as wide as the lapel itself. Plus it needs a good pressing.
post #5496 of 12606
I would like the lapels wider, too. But I'm really only judging on color and pattern combinations. Things like fit, I'm ignoring. Basically I'm trying to look past what you have to pay to do well.
post #5497 of 12606
I am really enjoying and learning from the discussion and constructive critique the last few days. and a good balance of civil, fun snark/banter as well. Thank you all.
post #5498 of 12606
Also, SB's jacket appears to fit quite nicely in that photo. I didn't notice anything needing a pressing.
post #5499 of 12606
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Also, SB's jacket appears to fit quite nicely in that photo. I didn't notice anything needing a pressing.

I'm referring to the large bubbles and rumples that run the length of both lapels.
post #5500 of 12606
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post

Those lapels are disastrously wrong. The lapel hole is almost as wide as the lapel itself. Plus it needs a good pressing.

I'm going to ask the mods to change your title from Senior Member to Hyperbolator™. But, yes, I, too, would prefer a wider lapel.
post #5501 of 12606
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post

I'm referring to the large bubbles and rumples that run the length of both lapels.

Eh, that's not something I'd give a second thought to.
post #5502 of 12606
I only have like 3 pocketsquares. I just wanted this to be commented on by the panel for future purchases. I originally cot this PS to go with a navy suit when I first started buying things. It was literally 3 dollars so I don't mind complaints about it. Jw what I could have used instead in this context! Again, I tried to play with textures, the knit texture of the tie paired with the flat merino cardi and the tweed jacket. Added some movement with the glen plaid shirt and tried to find a middle ground between the white and black and the deep purple and grey of the tie with a lilac ish PS w/ a pattern. Thoughts?


post #5503 of 12606
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I'm going to ask the mods to change your title from Senior Member to Hyperbolator™. But, yes, I, too, would prefer a wider lapel.

Call it hyperbole, but I think the width of your lapels throws off your look entirely. It's the only thing I notice. It is incongruent with the width of your tie, but more importantly, it leaves a huge blank space that is your upper chest, making your look very broad, to the point of stocky.

To my eyes, that's kinda disastrous.
post #5504 of 12606
SB - that's your best shirt. The collar works well for you.
post #5505 of 12606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I can't judge this until I know what that square is made of . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citan1145 View Post

I only have like 3 pocketsquares. I just wanted this to be commented on by the panel for future purchases. I originally cot this PS to go with a navy suit when I first started buying things. It was literally 3 dollars so I don't mind complaints about it. Jw what I could have used instead in this context! Again, I tried to play with textures, the knit texture of the tie paired with the flat merino cardi and the tweed jacket. Added some movement with the glen plaid shirt and tried to find a middle ground between the white and black and the deep purple and grey of the tie with a lilac ish PS w/ a pattern. Thoughts?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


I assume the sweater isn't black and your tie looks maroon to me, not purple, so I must not be seeing the right colors. As such, it's hard to give you any precise comments or judge. That said, I'm skeptical of the glen plaid shirt (which I can't really see) and I can say in certainty that this is total squareFAIL. The lilac is so bright in this context it jars; also, its pattern density is too close to your jacket's.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread