or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 351

post #5251 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_umbrella View Post

Tragedy of The Commons....

This would have made for an infinitely funnier name for MC, rather than going for "Classic Menswear."
post #5252 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post

what's the conversion rate?  1 foo.gif = 0.8 bZs7yR3.gif = 0.5

value is dependent on percentage of face obscured by glasses or sundry black dots.
post #5253 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I can't tell the color of the shirt, which is crucial.
I was considering light blue but ended up choosing white as with light blue I thought there would be too many colours at play.
post #5254 of 12602
Haven't posted in a long time: Foo, yesterday, I was dressed much like Stitchy's fit above and wasn't pleased with the look.



Can you talk a little bit about or give some examples of more monochromatic looks that work. Second, here's what I'm wearing today. Again, less than thrilled with it. Interested in your thoughts.



Tie is actually dark bitter chocolate but the square is accurate.
post #5255 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post

square folded like this. I'm still convinced that this is superior to puffed.
Really? I think it quite depends on the occasion tbh.
post #5256 of 12602
To those who dare to play, you better bring that motherfucking A1 pocket square game because foo.gif is gonna eat your lunch if you don't.
post #5257 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post


I'll join you with the square fail. lead the way crat... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)








how many :foo:s for wearing the square folded like this. I'm still convinced that this is superior to puffed.


That square is really hideous. But more importantly, it is totally unseasonable. Quite a shame, because your outfit is otherwise quite nice (I'm ignoring the coat because I can't tell what color it is). The green tie, brown jacket, light blue shirt, and medium grey trousers are fantastic together. You just need a new square. I have a navy blue Drake's unicorn square with gold and red accents that would have been quite nice here. In fact, there are a mind-boggling number of squares that would work.

How on earth did you manage to pick one of the few that doesn't?

Final score: foo.giffoo.gif

 

 

I disagree with the general statement that the square is hideous. In my opinion, in the words of Jim Carrey, the square is B-E-A-UTIFUL.

 

BUT I don't know enough about matching pocket squares to dispute your assessment that the square is wrong in in this ensemble. So I won't disagree with you there.

 

In case you were offering aforementioned Drake's square for the sake of forging a master-padawan relationship with me, I'll gladly forward you my address.

2 out of 5 foos: I aimed for three but two are more than a young grasshopper such as myself could have hoped for.

 

PS:the coat is of course navy.

post #5258 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Two things, Stitch: (1) I've seen your other outfits, and (2) you have made it abundantly clear, time and time again, you are not interested in anything that contradicts your personal opinion. Unless that second point changes, please don't submit more outfits to be judged here. We're just going to go in circles. Asking people to take time to judge you and then summarily reject the basis of judgment is trolling. Future outfits will be deleted unless you change acknowledge that problem and endeavor to correct it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

No, it's not the socks. He has repeatedly reacted exactly the same way to the criticisms I've given him: "Well, fine, but I personally disagree." That is what I mean by summarily rejecting the basis of judgment. In other contexts, that's fine. None of us have to listen to each other if we don't want to. However, the point of this thread is precisely to be judged and I am partially responsible for keeping it on track.
Keep in mind, It takes effort to think through these things, then write a reasoned explanation. It's not fair for him to clog up the thread and waste others' time. Like I said, if he commits himself to processing and using the criticism he's given here, it's all good. Otherwise, I see no point in making the same comments over and over again about the same sort of outfits.

i have taken much advise to heart, and made a great number of changes based on critiques i have received here, regardless of whether or not i understood them at the time. happens to be, i disagree with you on this fit, for reasons given already by others. i think the color contrast is more than sufficient, and that the texture contrast is quite tasteful. you disagree. not a big deal. i see no need for you to call me a troll. i keep a very open mind, but just because you say something does not make it unimpeachable truth. is it impossible for you to accept that there are opinions other than your own, and that it is possible some of them may be valid?

i think its pretty clear that other people here have the impression that i do take critique to heart. maybe, unknowingly, i have been more dismissive of some things you particularly have said, i honestly do not recall every reply i have made to the many critiques i have received. maybe that is the issue, idrk, but i certainly am not here to waste anyones time. i will keep this possibility in mind, and be sure to reply to any of your future critiques with more substance than just saying i disagree, i hope that is sufficient.

what i am particularly interested in, when i mentioned digging up old posts, are fits not that i specifically liked, but ones that other people liked, and that i put together based heavily on the input of others. i would be curious as to your take on them, provided we are in agreeance (apparently that may not be a real word, who knew?) that i will try and be more explanatory should i disagree with you, and that you will therefor not outright delete my posts. i see no reason why we cant get along well.
post #5259 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post

Can you talk a little bit about or give some examples of more monochromatic looks that work. Second, here's what I'm wearing today. Again, less than thrilled with it. Interested in your thoughts.

Being monochromatic on its own is not a problem. But you need to be dynamic enough with your contrast, textures, patterns, etc. to compensate. Imagine a slate blue flannel suit with a light blue and white bengal-striped poplin shirt, dark navy grenadine tie, and cream silk square. It works because the blues differ enough in saturation and brightness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
0PvPyBm.jpg

Tie is actually dark bitter chocolate but the square is accurate.

The purple in the square is both random and distracting. The brown in it is too close in your tie. But otherwise, the outfit is fine. You might have hit foo.giffoo.giffoo.gif without the square.

Final score: foo.giffoo.gif
post #5260 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanS View Post

To those who dare to play, you better bring that motherfucking A1 pocket square game because foo.gif is gonna eat your lunch if you don't.
I'm hoping someone will just post a fit without a square at all.
post #5261 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanS View Post

To those who dare to play, you better bring that motherfucking A1 pocket square game because foo.gif is gonna eat your lunch if you don't.
Like this? rotflmao.gif
post #5262 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

The other problem is the jacket's pattern. Glen plaid is really more appropriate for a suit.

This is sillier than arguing that gun club shouldn't be worn in the city.
post #5263 of 12602
One more for the day. This is actually what I'm wearing right now. Plain linen square. Dark gray worsted solid suit. And the tie is actually a lavender of sorts.

post #5264 of 12602
Repost from earlier today:

post #5265 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post

square folded like this. I'm still convinced that this is superior to puffed.
Really? I think it quite depends on the occasion tbh.

 

I was strictly speaking on behalf of the thick kimono silk, I didn't mean pocketsquares in general. I agree with you that it depends on the material as well as the occasion.

 

I do the puff the fold the tuck and the I don't give a f*** with my squares, too. I didn't, I repeat, I did not try to promote a "oneSquare" way of life in any way shape or form.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread