Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 7:52 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 9:01 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 340post #5086 of 141531/28/13 at 3:28amI do think context is key -- Don't know who Recondite was disbursing the advice to, but considering the nature of the question, one can probably infer it to be coming from someone new to menswear, and just starting a wardrobe. In the specific circumstances, honestly, I think the comment regarding a navy and charcoal suit that would allow one to pair items differently is, fair and okay. I'd hardly recommend somebody starting out to buy a sports jacket in the heavier material and bolder patterns that mark one out. I might, however, qualify my advice to the person and explain my rationale so he knows where I'm coming from.post #5087 of 141531/28/13 at 4:28ampost #5088 of 141531/28/13 at 5:04ampost #5089 of 141531/28/13 at 5:22ampost #5090 of 141531/28/13 at 5:46amQuote:Originally Posted by comrade
It was in Bermuda 50 years ago and apparently today- see picture
And briefly among the Ivy League crowd
And, of course, the British officer corps.
( Surrender of Singpore 1942)
I have always argued that if it is hot enough for shorts, it's too hot to wear a jacket. The combination of shorts and a sports coat or blazer is silly regardless by whom it has previously been worn. It was discussed in another thread a while back and someone claimed it looks great because it was once worn by British officers, but the only pictures I have ever come across have been of the British desert uniform from WWII, i.e. a light cotton uniform and NOT anything more formal with (wool) jackets.
Style generally has a practical history, but this seems really far fetched and made up by confused people in Bermuda with nothing better to do.post #5091 of 141531/28/13 at 5:51ampost #5092 of 141531/28/13 at 6:00amMs - I think tie and PS together are too shiny-on-shiny and fancy-on-fancy, if that makes any sense. Especially with a pinstripe suit which is all business. Also the jacket doesn't seem to fit to well but that could just be the pose.
Tie and suit are not bad together, although I'd prefer the tie a little more brown and less yellow.post #5093 of 141531/28/13 at 6:15amQuote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
Ms - I think tie and PS together are too shiny-on-shiny and fancy-on-fancy, if that makes any sense. Especially with a pinstripe suit which is all business. Also the jacket doesn't seem to fit to well but that could just be the pose.
Tie and suit are not bad together, although I'd prefer the tie a little more brown and less yellow.
Thanks for the feedback. I had to contort my arm quite a bit to take the photo, which is why the jacket looks like it does. It actually fits pretty well (at least I think so). Almost all of my pocket squares are silk, so maybe I need more matte-finish ties or cotton pocket squares.post #5094 of 141531/28/13 at 6:15ampost #5095 of 141531/28/13 at 6:18amQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
Thanks for the feedback. I had to contort my arm quite a bit to take the photo, which is why the jacket looks like it does. It actually fits pretty well (at least I think so). Almost all of my pocket squares are silk, so maybe I need more matte-finish ties or cotton pocket squares.
Definitely invest in a white linen square if you haven't already, unless has convinced you that they are useless.post #5096 of 141531/28/13 at 6:28ampost #5097 of 141531/28/13 at 6:38amNow that's more like it!
Unfortunately, I'm on vaca somewhere in Asia right now and will not be wearing any Classic Menswear ensembles (as defined by this thread) for the next 2 weeks. Instead, it's going to be plain dark crewneck tees and short-sleeved polos, chino shorts, linen shirts, BDs, tan cotton trousers etc...
Ciao!post #5098 of 141531/28/13 at 6:42amHere, just to get a bit more pics into this thread, here is something I wore last week. It's a reworking of an outfit I posted in here some time ago that got no love (rightfully so, I did a lot of things wrong with it). I think it's much better now, and appreciate the advice I got in here.post #5099 of 141531/28/13 at 6:47ampost #5100 of 141531/28/13 at 6:52am
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Etro-Brushed Cotton Button Up Blue Gingham Shirt-Medium/39 21 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 23 seconds ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 52 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Shell Cordovan Wallet Pron 3 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 4 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones Pembroke Tan Scotch Country Grain - Size 9UK/10USA. 5 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 6 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...