Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:21 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 10:14 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong KongLast edited: 10/1/15
- Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather ClothLast edited: 8/10/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 340post #5086 of 139811/28/13 at 3:28amI do think context is key -- Don't know who Recondite was disbursing the advice to, but considering the nature of the question, one can probably infer it to be coming from someone new to menswear, and just starting a wardrobe. In the specific circumstances, honestly, I think the comment regarding a navy and charcoal suit that would allow one to pair items differently is, fair and okay. I'd hardly recommend somebody starting out to buy a sports jacket in the heavier material and bolder patterns that mark one out. I might, however, qualify my advice to the person and explain my rationale so he knows where I'm coming from.
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5087 of 139811/28/13 at 4:28ampost #5088 of 139811/28/13 at 5:04ampost #5089 of 139811/28/13 at 5:22ampost #5090 of 139811/28/13 at 5:46amQuote:Originally Posted by comrade
It was in Bermuda 50 years ago and apparently today- see picture
And briefly among the Ivy League crowd
And, of course, the British officer corps.
( Surrender of Singpore 1942)
I have always argued that if it is hot enough for shorts, it's too hot to wear a jacket. The combination of shorts and a sports coat or blazer is silly regardless by whom it has previously been worn. It was discussed in another thread a while back and someone claimed it looks great because it was once worn by British officers, but the only pictures I have ever come across have been of the British desert uniform from WWII, i.e. a light cotton uniform and NOT anything more formal with (wool) jackets.
Style generally has a practical history, but this seems really far fetched and made up by confused people in Bermuda with nothing better to do.post #5091 of 139811/28/13 at 5:51ampost #5092 of 139811/28/13 at 6:00amMs - I think tie and PS together are too shiny-on-shiny and fancy-on-fancy, if that makes any sense. Especially with a pinstripe suit which is all business. Also the jacket doesn't seem to fit to well but that could just be the pose.
Tie and suit are not bad together, although I'd prefer the tie a little more brown and less yellow.post #5093 of 139811/28/13 at 6:15amQuote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
Ms - I think tie and PS together are too shiny-on-shiny and fancy-on-fancy, if that makes any sense. Especially with a pinstripe suit which is all business. Also the jacket doesn't seem to fit to well but that could just be the pose.
Tie and suit are not bad together, although I'd prefer the tie a little more brown and less yellow.
Thanks for the feedback. I had to contort my arm quite a bit to take the photo, which is why the jacket looks like it does. It actually fits pretty well (at least I think so). Almost all of my pocket squares are silk, so maybe I need more matte-finish ties or cotton pocket squares.post #5094 of 139811/28/13 at 6:15ampost #5095 of 139811/28/13 at 6:18amQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
Thanks for the feedback. I had to contort my arm quite a bit to take the photo, which is why the jacket looks like it does. It actually fits pretty well (at least I think so). Almost all of my pocket squares are silk, so maybe I need more matte-finish ties or cotton pocket squares.
Definitely invest in a white linen square if you haven't already, unless has convinced you that they are useless.post #5096 of 139811/28/13 at 6:28ampost #5097 of 139811/28/13 at 6:38amNow that's more like it!
Unfortunately, I'm on vaca somewhere in Asia right now and will not be wearing any Classic Menswear ensembles (as defined by this thread) for the next 2 weeks. Instead, it's going to be plain dark crewneck tees and short-sleeved polos, chino shorts, linen shirts, BDs, tan cotton trousers etc...
Ciao!post #5098 of 139811/28/13 at 6:42amHere, just to get a bit more pics into this thread, here is something I wore last week. It's a reworking of an outfit I posted in here some time ago that got no love (rightfully so, I did a lot of things wrong with it). I think it's much better now, and appreciate the advice I got in here.post #5099 of 139811/28/13 at 6:47am
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Styleforum and A&H present "The Proper Kit" Trunk show in NYC, Nov... 30 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 2 minutes ago
- › Khaki's of Carmel - Official Affiliate Thread - Carmel-by-the-Sea,... 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Walnut Shell Cordovan Dalton boots - Size 8.5D 7 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 8 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Deals of the Week, September 21, 2015
- › The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn...
- › Shirt Jackets: A Study in Indecision
- › Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth