Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 340post #5086 of 135891/28/13 at 3:28amI do think context is key -- Don't know who Recondite was disbursing the advice to, but considering the nature of the question, one can probably infer it to be coming from someone new to menswear, and just starting a wardrobe. In the specific circumstances, honestly, I think the comment regarding a navy and charcoal suit that would allow one to pair items differently is, fair and okay. I'd hardly recommend somebody starting out to buy a sports jacket in the heavier material and bolder patterns that mark one out. I might, however, qualify my advice to the person and explain my rationale so he knows where I'm coming from.
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5087 of 135891/28/13 at 4:28ampost #5088 of 135891/28/13 at 5:04ampost #5089 of 135891/28/13 at 5:22ampost #5090 of 135891/28/13 at 5:46amQuote:Originally Posted by comrade
It was in Bermuda 50 years ago and apparently today- see picture
And briefly among the Ivy League crowd
And, of course, the British officer corps.
( Surrender of Singpore 1942)
I have always argued that if it is hot enough for shorts, it's too hot to wear a jacket. The combination of shorts and a sports coat or blazer is silly regardless by whom it has previously been worn. It was discussed in another thread a while back and someone claimed it looks great because it was once worn by British officers, but the only pictures I have ever come across have been of the British desert uniform from WWII, i.e. a light cotton uniform and NOT anything more formal with (wool) jackets.
Style generally has a practical history, but this seems really far fetched and made up by confused people in Bermuda with nothing better to do.post #5091 of 135891/28/13 at 5:51ampost #5092 of 135891/28/13 at 6:00amMs - I think tie and PS together are too shiny-on-shiny and fancy-on-fancy, if that makes any sense. Especially with a pinstripe suit which is all business. Also the jacket doesn't seem to fit to well but that could just be the pose.
Tie and suit are not bad together, although I'd prefer the tie a little more brown and less yellow.post #5093 of 135891/28/13 at 6:15amQuote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
Ms - I think tie and PS together are too shiny-on-shiny and fancy-on-fancy, if that makes any sense. Especially with a pinstripe suit which is all business. Also the jacket doesn't seem to fit to well but that could just be the pose.
Tie and suit are not bad together, although I'd prefer the tie a little more brown and less yellow.
Thanks for the feedback. I had to contort my arm quite a bit to take the photo, which is why the jacket looks like it does. It actually fits pretty well (at least I think so). Almost all of my pocket squares are silk, so maybe I need more matte-finish ties or cotton pocket squares.post #5094 of 135891/28/13 at 6:15ampost #5095 of 135891/28/13 at 6:18amQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
Thanks for the feedback. I had to contort my arm quite a bit to take the photo, which is why the jacket looks like it does. It actually fits pretty well (at least I think so). Almost all of my pocket squares are silk, so maybe I need more matte-finish ties or cotton pocket squares.
Definitely invest in a white linen square if you haven't already, unless has convinced you that they are useless.post #5096 of 135891/28/13 at 6:28ampost #5097 of 135891/28/13 at 6:38amNow that's more like it!
Unfortunately, I'm on vaca somewhere in Asia right now and will not be wearing any Classic Menswear ensembles (as defined by this thread) for the next 2 weeks. Instead, it's going to be plain dark crewneck tees and short-sleeved polos, chino shorts, linen shirts, BDs, tan cotton trousers etc...
Ciao!post #5098 of 135891/28/13 at 6:42amHere, just to get a bit more pics into this thread, here is something I wore last week. It's a reworking of an outfit I posted in here some time ago that got no love (rightfully so, I did a lot of things wrong with it). I think it's much better now, and appreciate the advice I got in here.post #5099 of 135891/28/13 at 6:47am
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Double Breasted Style. 38 seconds ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 14 2 minutes ago
- › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 9 minutes ago
- › Drumohr Check Bomber in Grey Size 50 / M 10 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Mensewear (formerly Men's Clothing) Casual Style 10 minutes ago
- › What if I dont want fades in my new raw selvedged jeans? 11 minutes ago
- › Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing) 12 minutes ago
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...