or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 338

post #5056 of 12564

I gave up on going back from the most recent page to find good pics, so I started from the beginning.  Much better.  Oh, crap, I just contributed to the problem...

post #5057 of 12564
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


Sure, why not.


You wear a surcingle belt with a flannel suit? or just pants?

 

If a suit, you do realise that you are mixing the very casual with the formal. How do you think about this? How do you reconcile this with 'framework'?


Edited by Lovelace - 1/27/13 at 2:47am
post #5058 of 12564
For anyone feeling especially butthurt after this latest appearance of Teh Foof, here's a clue-

He, like most other people, wears what he likes.

He likes red fun socks, ribbon belts with flannels and double cuffs with odd jackets. I think those things are, each and every one, bad ideas.

He will continue to wear them.

Like most people, foo.gif appreciates consistency.

Like most people he tries to justify his preferences. He takes that to an extreme.

He is still a well dressed guy with below average people skills (on the internetz, he's chill in real life).

Read his suggestions and think about them. Don't argue too long about preferences.

For the record, he was 100% right about Stitches outfit.
post #5059 of 12564
To get the thread back on track: an iPhone pic of yesterday's dinner outfit:

post #5060 of 12564
Here's my poor man's Beppe / low contrast blazer ensemble.

Not seen navy pindot accent socks and G&G Hove in dark brown.

tumblr_mha6ouu0211rv8yzgo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mha6rjjDD81rv8yzgo1_500.jpg

In the shade, the trousers and blazer look somewhat similar. But each has a good deal of texture - 4ply hopsack blazer and fresco trousers - so neither looks like an orphaned suit piece. And in the sunlight, the flecks of white in the trousers are very different from the much more matte jacket.

tumblr_mha6uiqZVw1rv8yzgo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mha6x2NZHC1rv8yzgo1_500.jpg

I don't hold this out as a sterling example but I like to think this is an acceptable instance of a standard and tasteful look.
post #5061 of 12564

Finally some pics, very nice canta. Perfect fit and colors.

post #5062 of 12564
There's nice and simple. MoP buttons on the jacket? And temperatures up in London? We'll be getting your weather the coming days.
post #5063 of 12564
Regarding the odd charcoal pants discussion a couple of pages back:

Odd charcoal pants have been worn by many great dressers over the years. Anyone who professes otherwise either hasn't done his homework or has bad taste in role models. Two examples should suffice:



Sinatra and Davis in 1960.



Moore in 1985.
post #5064 of 12564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

Here's my poor man's Beppe / low contrast blazer ensemble.

Not seen navy pindot accent socks and G&G Hove in dark brown.

tumblr_mha6ouu0211rv8yzgo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mha6rjjDD81rv8yzgo1_500.jpg

In the shade, the trousers and blazer look somewhat similar. But each has a good deal of texture - 4ply hopsack blazer and fresco trousers - so neither looks like an orphaned suit piece. And in the sunlight, the flecks of white in the trousers are very different from the much more matte jacket.

tumblr_mha6uiqZVw1rv8yzgo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mha6x2NZHC1rv8yzgo1_500.jpg

I don't hold this out as a sterling example but I like to think this is an acceptable instance of a standard and tasteful look.

Which fabrics did you use to make up the coat? Smith Finnmeresco? And by whom?
post #5065 of 12564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivar View Post

Regarding the odd charcoal pants discussion a couple of pages back:

Odd charcoal pants have been worn by many great dressers over the years. Anyone who professes otherwise either hasn't done his homework or has bad taste in role models. Two examples should suffice:



Sinatra and Davis in 1960.



Moore in 1985.

 

 

Well, maybe the argument isn't as much if it has been done in the past, more does it look good.

 

If you are wearing an odd jacket you should aim for contrast between jacket and trousers. Youe aim is to highlight the non-suitiness of the ensemble. Brown seems more flexible in this regard,

post #5066 of 12564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post
(on the internetz, he's chill in real life).

Good to know he's alright in real life. His content laden posts and even most of his polemical ones are very educational (as posted earlier, agree or disagree, they force you to understand your own preferences).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

 

I think that applies to just about anyone on the internet. Anyone who can maintain civility indefinitely on an online forum is a saint or just doesn't care about what he is talking about very much. It's weird to see passions flare so high about clothes, but it's not the weirdest thing I can think that sets tempers alight. Twilight for example.

I think people are too quick to throw civility out the window because it is the internet. I'd even posit that incivility is less excusable on a forum as it is easier to remain detached from the people you are arguing with, you have the benefit of reflection (editing posts, time to think about your replies, etc), and it's unlikely that incivility will produce any benefit (displaying anger and frustration in real life is obviously useful).

post #5067 of 12564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

I think people are too quick to throw civility out the window because it is the internet. I'd even posit that incivility is less excusable on a forum as it is easier to remain detached from the people you are arguing with, you have the benefit of reflection (editing posts, time to think about your replies, etc), and it's unlikely that incivility will produce any benefit (displaying anger and frustration in real life is obviously useful).

100% agree. 

post #5068 of 12564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

I think people are too quick to throw civility out the window because it is the internet. I'd even posit that incivility is less excusable on a forum as it is easier to remain detached from the people you are arguing with, you have the benefit of reflection (editing posts, time to think about your replies, etc), and it's unlikely that incivility will produce any benefit (displaying anger and frustration in real life is obviously useful).

 

That's a very good point, but I think we have to also remember that the people we are talking about are just human. That is another fact that can sometimes be hidden by the medium in which we operate. I think understanding of that can go far. As long as a person isn't so understanding that he lets himself be pushed around by personalities like foo.

post #5069 of 12564
In any case I think we can all agree that incivility is in extremely poor taste?
post #5070 of 12564

Undoubtedly.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread