That is why I said it works for him .
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:26 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 12:46 am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 8:57 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 335
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5012 of 139621/26/13 at 11:13amQuote:
It is entirely appropriate to wear cuff links with a blazer.
Blazers straddle the gap between the formality of a suit and the casualness of a sports coat.
I thought Italians had an aversion to cuff links though.post #5013 of 139621/26/13 at 11:14amQuote:
I mean I have done so several times. I always feel weird when I do. It might just be me.post #5014 of 139621/26/13 at 11:14amQuote:Originally Posted by JPHardy
I can't say I disagree. I came close to flannel blazer suit, but steered away myself. Wasn't sue why, but what you say makes sense. But then it's Bill, he might have run out clothes choices for blazers.
On a side note. if MR had to change his jacket due to the temps, then you must have "melted" as Manton likes to say.
If the man on the right was wearing trousers made from the same material as the man on the left, it would look magnificent.post #5015 of 139621/26/13 at 11:15amQuote:
I like dark grey trousers with a navy blazer - its as dressed up as you can be without wearing a suit.
Completely agree on the socks. How can loudly drawing attention to your ankles possibly seem like a good idea?post #5016 of 139621/26/13 at 11:17ampost #5017 of 139621/26/13 at 11:20amI honestly think he pulls the outfit off with much aplomb. Whilst I will not speak to whether his dress falls within a specific orthodoxy, or straddles between two, I think his subtle introduction of colour does do wonders to the otherwise nondescript coat and trousers (when viewed as individual pieces) he has on. And maybe it's a difference in culture, but in the parlance of Americans, 'across the pond', the English would liven up a dark suit with more prominent ties/pocket squares/shirts and yes, this might also include red socks. Note, though, they should be invisible in most settings.post #5018 of 139621/26/13 at 11:21ampost #5019 of 139621/26/13 at 11:24ampost #5020 of 139621/26/13 at 11:27am
I know. Though not so much during this discussion. But I wasn't just referring to you. The great thing about an internet forum is that you can use both words and images to share what you want to share. If people think charcoal trousers work well in combinations, I'd rather have them show good examples than use descriptions. Not that I cannot picture what something looks like, but it could be more convincing to just show photos or images.post #5021 of 139621/26/13 at 11:29amYes, the colour of the socks are not subtle. But I somehow think that, let's say he had on a pair of charcoal socks to match his trousers, I'm not positive that this outfit would come together, visually, quite as nicely as in this picture. For the most part, at least in England, people don't have break on their trousers, so really, socks should be invisible for the most part, except when one sits down. Obviously, one wouldn't wear red socks to a court etc (at least, I would not), and incidentally, this post has somehow triggered my memory about a particularly humorous post made on filmnoirbuff, and which I shall excerpt here:
'Socks are again conservative. In the UK that means plain black or grey. I go much brighter myself - happy with purple, red, green and patterned - but it definitely draws looks. The last time my opponent made a final speech he got a tad upset at the black with hot pink stripes and accused me of distracting the jury.'
http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?pid=159687#p159687post #5022 of 139621/26/13 at 11:31ampost #5023 of 139621/26/13 at 11:32ampost #5024 of 139621/26/13 at 11:34amQuote:
I don't wear French cuffs with a tweed sports coat because I never wear a tie with my tweeds and I never wear French cuffs sans tie.post #5025 of 139621/26/13 at 11:41amQuote:Originally Posted by sedentary
Yes, the co lour of the socks are not subtle. But I somehow think that, let's say he had on a pair of charcoal socks to match his trousers, I'm not positive that this outfit would come together, visually, quite as nicely as in this picture. For the most part, at least in England, people don't have break on their trousers, so really, socks should be invisible for the most part, except when one sits down. Obviously, one wouldn't wear red socks to a court etc (at least, I would not), and incidentally, this post has somehow triggered my memory about a particularly humorous post made on filming, and which I shall excerpt here:
'Socks are again conservative. In the UK that means plain black or Grey. I go much brighter myself - happy with purple, red, green and patterned - but it definitely draws looks. The last time my opponent made a final speech he got a tad upset at the black with hot pink stripes and accused me of distracting the jury.'
Wearing bright coloured socks is something of an English affection.
In England if the trousers have been made by a tailor they will almost certainly have break. But by far the vast majority of trousers worn are RTW.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › NFL 2015-16 Thread 31 seconds ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Kamakura Shirts Vintage Oxford Shirts (S/M) 8 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 12 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 12 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 13 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...