That is why I said it works for him .
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 335
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5012 of 126801/26/13 at 11:13amQuote:
It is entirely appropriate to wear cuff links with a blazer.
Blazers straddle the gap between the formality of a suit and the casualness of a sports coat.
I thought Italians had an aversion to cuff links though.post #5013 of 126801/26/13 at 11:14amQuote:
I mean I have done so several times. I always feel weird when I do. It might just be me.post #5014 of 126801/26/13 at 11:14amQuote:Originally Posted by JPHardy
I can't say I disagree. I came close to flannel blazer suit, but steered away myself. Wasn't sue why, but what you say makes sense. But then it's Bill, he might have run out clothes choices for blazers.
On a side note. if MR had to change his jacket due to the temps, then you must have "melted" as Manton likes to say.
If the man on the right was wearing trousers made from the same material as the man on the left, it would look magnificent.post #5015 of 126801/26/13 at 11:15amQuote:
I like dark grey trousers with a navy blazer - its as dressed up as you can be without wearing a suit.
Completely agree on the socks. How can loudly drawing attention to your ankles possibly seem like a good idea?post #5016 of 126801/26/13 at 11:17ampost #5017 of 126801/26/13 at 11:20amI honestly think he pulls the outfit off with much aplomb. Whilst I will not speak to whether his dress falls within a specific orthodoxy, or straddles between two, I think his subtle introduction of colour does do wonders to the otherwise nondescript coat and trousers (when viewed as individual pieces) he has on. And maybe it's a difference in culture, but in the parlance of Americans, 'across the pond', the English would liven up a dark suit with more prominent ties/pocket squares/shirts and yes, this might also include red socks. Note, though, they should be invisible in most settings.post #5018 of 126801/26/13 at 11:21ampost #5019 of 126801/26/13 at 11:24ampost #5020 of 126801/26/13 at 11:27am
I know. Though not so much during this discussion. But I wasn't just referring to you. The great thing about an internet forum is that you can use both words and images to share what you want to share. If people think charcoal trousers work well in combinations, I'd rather have them show good examples than use descriptions. Not that I cannot picture what something looks like, but it could be more convincing to just show photos or images.post #5021 of 126801/26/13 at 11:29amYes, the colour of the socks are not subtle. But I somehow think that, let's say he had on a pair of charcoal socks to match his trousers, I'm not positive that this outfit would come together, visually, quite as nicely as in this picture. For the most part, at least in England, people don't have break on their trousers, so really, socks should be invisible for the most part, except when one sits down. Obviously, one wouldn't wear red socks to a court etc (at least, I would not), and incidentally, this post has somehow triggered my memory about a particularly humorous post made on filmnoirbuff, and which I shall excerpt here:
'Socks are again conservative. In the UK that means plain black or grey. I go much brighter myself - happy with purple, red, green and patterned - but it definitely draws looks. The last time my opponent made a final speech he got a tad upset at the black with hot pink stripes and accused me of distracting the jury.'
http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?pid=159687#p159687post #5022 of 126801/26/13 at 11:31ampost #5023 of 126801/26/13 at 11:32ampost #5024 of 126801/26/13 at 11:34amQuote:
I don't wear French cuffs with a tweed sports coat because I never wear a tie with my tweeds and I never wear French cuffs sans tie.post #5025 of 126801/26/13 at 11:41amQuote:Originally Posted by sedentary
Yes, the co lour of the socks are not subtle. But I somehow think that, let's say he had on a pair of charcoal socks to match his trousers, I'm not positive that this outfit would come together, visually, quite as nicely as in this picture. For the most part, at least in England, people don't have break on their trousers, so really, socks should be invisible for the most part, except when one sits down. Obviously, one wouldn't wear red socks to a court etc (at least, I would not), and incidentally, this post has somehow triggered my memory about a particularly humorous post made on filming, and which I shall excerpt here:
'Socks are again conservative. In the UK that means plain black or Grey. I go much brighter myself - happy with purple, red, green and patterned - but it definitely draws looks. The last time my opponent made a final speech he got a tad upset at the black with hot pink stripes and accused me of distracting the jury.'
Wearing bright coloured socks is something of an English affection.
In England if the trousers have been made by a tailor they will almost certainly have break. But by far the vast majority of trousers worn are RTW.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 2 minutes ago
- › Bespoke Seven-fold Rubinacci and Cappelli Ties 3 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 4 minutes ago
- › Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... 7 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...