That is why I said it works for him .
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:52 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 9:01 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 335post #5012 of 141531/26/13 at 11:13amQuote:
It is entirely appropriate to wear cuff links with a blazer.
Blazers straddle the gap between the formality of a suit and the casualness of a sports coat.
I thought Italians had an aversion to cuff links though.post #5013 of 141531/26/13 at 11:14amQuote:
I mean I have done so several times. I always feel weird when I do. It might just be me.post #5014 of 141531/26/13 at 11:14amQuote:Originally Posted by JPHardy
I can't say I disagree. I came close to flannel blazer suit, but steered away myself. Wasn't sue why, but what you say makes sense. But then it's Bill, he might have run out clothes choices for blazers.
On a side note. if MR had to change his jacket due to the temps, then you must have "melted" as Manton likes to say.
If the man on the right was wearing trousers made from the same material as the man on the left, it would look magnificent.post #5015 of 141531/26/13 at 11:15amQuote:
I like dark grey trousers with a navy blazer - its as dressed up as you can be without wearing a suit.
Completely agree on the socks. How can loudly drawing attention to your ankles possibly seem like a good idea?post #5016 of 141531/26/13 at 11:17ampost #5017 of 141531/26/13 at 11:20amI honestly think he pulls the outfit off with much aplomb. Whilst I will not speak to whether his dress falls within a specific orthodoxy, or straddles between two, I think his subtle introduction of colour does do wonders to the otherwise nondescript coat and trousers (when viewed as individual pieces) he has on. And maybe it's a difference in culture, but in the parlance of Americans, 'across the pond', the English would liven up a dark suit with more prominent ties/pocket squares/shirts and yes, this might also include red socks. Note, though, they should be invisible in most settings.post #5018 of 141531/26/13 at 11:21ampost #5019 of 141531/26/13 at 11:24ampost #5020 of 141531/26/13 at 11:27am
I know. Though not so much during this discussion. But I wasn't just referring to you. The great thing about an internet forum is that you can use both words and images to share what you want to share. If people think charcoal trousers work well in combinations, I'd rather have them show good examples than use descriptions. Not that I cannot picture what something looks like, but it could be more convincing to just show photos or images.post #5021 of 141531/26/13 at 11:29amYes, the colour of the socks are not subtle. But I somehow think that, let's say he had on a pair of charcoal socks to match his trousers, I'm not positive that this outfit would come together, visually, quite as nicely as in this picture. For the most part, at least in England, people don't have break on their trousers, so really, socks should be invisible for the most part, except when one sits down. Obviously, one wouldn't wear red socks to a court etc (at least, I would not), and incidentally, this post has somehow triggered my memory about a particularly humorous post made on filmnoirbuff, and which I shall excerpt here:
'Socks are again conservative. In the UK that means plain black or grey. I go much brighter myself - happy with purple, red, green and patterned - but it definitely draws looks. The last time my opponent made a final speech he got a tad upset at the black with hot pink stripes and accused me of distracting the jury.'
http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?pid=159687#p159687post #5022 of 141531/26/13 at 11:31ampost #5023 of 141531/26/13 at 11:32ampost #5024 of 141531/26/13 at 11:34amQuote:
I don't wear French cuffs with a tweed sports coat because I never wear a tie with my tweeds and I never wear French cuffs sans tie.post #5025 of 141531/26/13 at 11:41amQuote:Originally Posted by sedentary
Yes, the co lour of the socks are not subtle. But I somehow think that, let's say he had on a pair of charcoal socks to match his trousers, I'm not positive that this outfit would come together, visually, quite as nicely as in this picture. For the most part, at least in England, people don't have break on their trousers, so really, socks should be invisible for the most part, except when one sits down. Obviously, one wouldn't wear red socks to a court etc (at least, I would not), and incidentally, this post has somehow triggered my memory about a particularly humorous post made on filming, and which I shall excerpt here:
'Socks are again conservative. In the UK that means plain black or Grey. I go much brighter myself - happy with purple, red, green and patterned - but it definitely draws looks. The last time my opponent made a final speech he got a tad upset at the black with hot pink stripes and accused me of distracting the jury.'
Wearing bright coloured socks is something of an English affection.
In England if the trousers have been made by a tailor they will almost certainly have break. But by far the vast majority of trousers worn are RTW.
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 46 seconds ago
- › Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The small feet thread: sharing sizing and fits, and where to get... 3 minutes ago
- › Motorcycles 8 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 9 minutes ago
- › Question about Yoox sizing 11 minutes ago
- › Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place porn thread. 13 minutes ago
- › Pierpont Leather - Official Affiliate Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects. 14 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 15 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...