or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 333

post #4981 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post


Absolutely agree with this.

Charcoal trousers can work--with a light grey SC (which is hard to pull off in and of itself), or sometimes with sweaters. But yeah, they are not particularly versatile, are hard to do well, and I rarely wear mine for these reasons. And like you, I would not advise newbies to buy them. Mid grey, mid grey, mid grey, maybe some shade of brown.

Honestly, mine probably get worn the most when I do something dumb like mistakenly take all my mid-greys to the cleaners at the same time. Whoops.


DW's last post was more helpful than anything from the last few pages. I Hope we can move on from this.

post #4982 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

That looks great. Think how much better WAYW would be if most posters dressed that simply.
+1 I think Orgetorix is the best example here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Hopsack and fresco are worsted cloths. They just have more open weaves.

I think a flannel blazer is an oddball garment.
I am not mistaking anything. I understand the difference. And I am also familiar with worsted flannels. I own two suits made of the stuff. Yes, you can find the twill weave, but you have to look closely. From normal viewing distance (say, three to five feet away), you shouldn't be able to see it.

Now look at the "flannel" separates at Land's End. That is clearly not a worsted flannel. It has none of the brushed texture you would expect to find over the twill base.
Looks like it's a worsted flannel to me too.

Btw, when most people say "worsted," i think they're using that as shorthand for "worsted plain weave."
post #4983 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar1223 View Post


this is from vox's blog.

foo, if i am understanding what you are saying, the white OCBD is not the ideal pairing for this outfit but is passable because it is an OCBD.

blue would be better because of the inherent casual nature of the tweed jacket correct?

also thanks a lot for the posts over the last couple of days, i have learned a lot from your posts as always.


In this case white was worn out of respect for the audience at the meeting portrayed. Trad rules, if you will, would lean towards blue.

post #4984 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirailleur1 View Post


DW's last post was more helpful than anything from the last few pages. I Hope we can move on from this.

 

I personally enjoyed Foo's responses (content and delivery) and agree that DW's contributions were very helpful. Thanks to everyone involved.

post #4985 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick R View Post

 

I personally enjoyed Foo's responses (content and delivery) and agree that DW's contributions were very helpful. Thanks to everyone involved.

Agreed. I hope the recent attacks don't chase him away. I think the community is better off with this input.

post #4986 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Absolutely agree with this.

Charcoal trousers can work--with a light grey SC (which is hard to pull off in and of itself), or sometimes with sweaters. But yeah, they are not particularly versatile, are hard to do well, and I rarely wear mine for these reasons. And like you, I would not advise newbies to buy them. Mid grey, mid grey, mid grey, maybe some shade of brown.

Honestly, mine probably get worn the most when I do something dumb like mistakenly take all my mid-greys to the cleaners at the same time. Whoops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Absolutely agree with this.

Charcoal trousers can work--with a light grey SC (which is hard to pull off in and of itself), or sometimes with sweaters. But yeah, they are not particularly versatile, are hard to do well, and I rarely wear mine for these reasons. And like you, I would not advise newbies to buy them. Mid grey, mid grey, mid grey, maybe some shade of brown.

Honestly, mine probably get worn the most when I do something dumb like mistakenly take all my mid-greys to the cleaners at the same time. Whoops.

I really don't intend to be contentious, with you, but why is it hard to pull off pairing a black and white glen plaid jacket with a light background with a blue shirt and charcoal pants? There's a good discussion of the joys of wearing light colored sc's on LL if you are curious.
post #4987 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post


A blazer, if anything, should distinctly not be worsted.

Without some texture (hopsack, fresco, even flannel), it looks like a suitcoat. Blazers also like patch pockets and patch pockets on a worsted cloth always looks wrong (Phat Guido notwithstanding).

 

So you were never awarded Blue then?

 

Serge is the traditional cloth for Blazers. Which is a worsted cloth in a twill weave

 

We have moved on a bit though.

 

A Blazer to me, is a semi formal garment.

post #4988 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Agreed. I hope the recent attacks don't chase him away. I think the community is better off with this input.

+1, we love you Foo!
post #4989 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Given the state of how men are dressing here, we are in desperate need of simplifying rules. Such as: buy grey, not charcoal, pants. You could live your whole life without a single pair of charcoal trousers and be perfectly well-dressed and stylish. It is infinitely harder to do the same without any grey trousers. Hence, the latter is a staple while the former is decidedly not.

 

Thanks!

post #4990 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post

Looks like it's a worsted flannel to me too.

Truly? I see zero evidence of a brushed nap. Every worsted flannel I've examined has a much less obvious weave due to having a fuzzier, brushed surface.

Anyway, like I said, even if the cloth is technically a worsted flannel, does it look like what you'd want for a classic "grey flannel suit?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post

Btw, when most people say "worsted," i think they're using that as shorthand for "worsted plain weave."

Really? I have to disagree. You can make the case fresco is often singled out as its own species, but hopsack is soundly established within the "worsted" genre.
post #4991 of 12602
I wish people would use more photos (not necessarily but preferably their own) and fewer words to try and explain their preferences.

I agree about the charcoal trousers: light to mid grey is more versatile (and looks better smile.gif).

And where's gdl to save the thread? He shows by example.
post #4992 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

I wish people would use more photos (not necessarily but preferably their own) and fewer words to try and explain their preferences.

I agree about the charcoal trousers: light to mid grey is more versatile (and looks better smile.gif).

And where's gdl to save the thread? He shows by example.


another winner

post #4993 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post


Chris O'Donnell's character looks like he got dressed without thinking about it. Easy, natural, effortless. Yet he still looks great. Exactly what Foo says he's aiming for.

 

Mr O'Donnell's character looks like he was dressed by the wardrobe. Which he was.

post #4994 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

I wish people would use more photos (not necessarily but preferably their own) and fewer words to try and explain their preferences.

I agree about the charcoal trousers: light to mid grey is more versatile (and looks better smile.gif).

And where's gdl to save the thread? He shows by example.

I've posted dozens and dozens of photos of myself.
post #4995 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Were you thinking of a woollen flannel? That would make for a very odd blazer. Just wrong, actually.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread