or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 318

post #4756 of 13401

Ah, at least I'm not alone in attempting this! 

post #4757 of 13401
OK, it is officially really frakking cold outside. Question for those in Good Taste:

What sort of hat can the tasteful man wear to keep his head (and perhaps most importantly, ears) warm?

It's cold enough that part of me just says screw it, I'm breaking out the watch cap/beanie... But there has to be something better.

Thoughts?
post #4758 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Ah, at least I'm not alone in attempting this! 


I like the direction you are going with this.   

 

This outfit has a little bit of contrast that I like:

AppleMark

 

sorry again for the low res picture.   I was at a tweed shop and wanted to get my wife's opinion on these two and only had my iPhone.

post #4759 of 13401

aravenel,

 

Ushanka? biggrin.gif

post #4760 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post


I like the direction you are going with this.   

 

This outfit has a little bit of contrast that I like:

AppleMark

 

sorry again for the low res picture.   I was at a tweed shop and wanted to get my wife's opinion on these two and only had my iPhone.

 

I don't think that one quite does it for me. I knew my silk tie was kinda shiny but I took a chance. The tie in that pick looks REALLY shiny. Other than that the knot is not really me and I would have gone with a lighter shirt, especially if I chose a tie of that shade. It definitely makes you think though.

post #4761 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

OK, it is officially really frakking cold outside. Question for those in Good Taste:

What sort of hat can the tasteful man wear to keep his head (and perhaps most importantly, ears) warm?

It's cold enough that part of me just says screw it, I'm breaking out the watch cap/beanie... But there has to be something better.

Thoughts?


With a suit/overcoat? 

post #4762 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

 

I don't think that one quite does it for me. I knew my silk tie was kinda shiny but I took a chance. The tie in that pick looks REALLY shiny. Other than that the knot is not really me and I would have gone with a lighter shirt, especially if I chose a tie of that shade. It definitely makes you think though.


I think the flash caused the tie to look much brighter than in real life- but I absolutely agree with your assessment of the shirt and tie combo.  The knot- well it was in Scotland so I get it!

But it is fun to work with the options until something hits. 

Enjoy the chase!

 

EDIT: Just to be clear- I liked the idea of using a darker shirt to contrast a lighter tie- but not so much the blue and yellow.  Also, I'm not sure I'd wear a white shirt with tweed like in the first picture. 

post #4763 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post


I think the flash caused the tie to look much brighter than in real life- but I absolutely agree with your assessment of the shirt and tie combo.  The knot- well it was in Scotland so I get it!

But it is fun to work with the options until something hits. 

Enjoy the chase!

 

Thanks!

post #4764 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post


With a suit/overcoat? 

Yep, with dressier attire--overcoat, usually a tie, either a suit or SC.

A ushanka seems a bit too costume-y to me, but I'm considering it...
post #4765 of 13401

ooh- I think we all know the textbook answer to this one.  But I look like a tool in a fedora.  
 

 

Edit- Just had a thought- My grandfather wore a very nice Bavarian Alpine dress hat in green wool.  Not the costume kind, but the $500 authentic type. 

I picked up a nice short brimmed version this summer while traveling.  Not sure if I'll ever wear it though. 

post #4766 of 13401
hats dont help ime, for me its really the ears and neck that need to be covered. fur is a good option. when its that cold, not getting hypothermia trumps style, imo.
post #4767 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

hats dont help ime, for me its really the ears and neck that need to be covered. fur is a good option. when its that cold, not getting hypothermia trumps style, imo.

Yeah, I agree. It just kills me that there is no good answer other than a beanie, which looks absurd with a formal overcoat and tie.
post #4768 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Yeah, I agree. It just kills me that there is no good answer other than a beanie, which looks absurd with a formal overcoat and tie.

laugh.gif tis better than freezing to death.

but if you are already resorting to a beanie, i would try the ushanka. way cooler than a beanie, and pretty classy.


sexy too! (Click to show)
post #4769 of 13401
The other problem with a Ushanka is that my primary overcoat is a double-breasted navy wool, which, combined with such a hat, I fear would veer far into costume-land frown.gif
post #4770 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

OK, it is officially really frakking cold outside. Question for those in Good Taste:

What sort of hat can the tasteful man wear to keep his head (and perhaps most importantly, ears) warm?

It's cold enough that part of me just says screw it, I'm breaking out the watch cap/beanie... But there has to be something better.

Thoughts?

When I lved in Chicago at around at was around zero F I wore a grey Ragg watch Cap with a pom-pom with an Invertere
Melton Greatcoat and a suit from Chipp or Norman Hilton. A more proper hat to go with the dressy business look would
have been a fur hat, which I never really considered.

http://www.armynavyshop.com/prods/rc5646.html#.UQBMJY6ExHg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread