or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 317

post #4741 of 13401
X-post




Suit: MJ Bale
Shirt: Lavender cottonwork herringbone
Tie: Henry Carter Navy pin dot 7 fold
PS: Random navy paisley
Shoes: Meermin MTO
post #4742 of 13401
i like. especially w/o a white shirt. happy.gif
post #4743 of 13401

Any thoughts on this? Stepping out of my comfort zone with this so any feedback would be appreciated.

 

1000

post #4744 of 13401
^ IMHO, the tweed feels awkward with the finishes on the other pieces.

I'm thinking something more "country" would work better.
post #4745 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC View Post

^ IMHO, the tweed feels awkward with the finishes on the other pieces.

I'm thinking something more "country" would work better.

 

That's what I was worrying about. I commented to Sugarbutch a few days ago about that very issue since he seemed to mix textures like this fairly successfully. 

post #4746 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

That's what I was worrying about. I commented to Sugarbutch a few days ago about that very issue since he seemed to mix textures like this fairly successfully. 

The pattern on the PS -- being a "fancy" style -- doesn't help. Maybe an ancient madder or something in wool?

The tie wants to go, but again, I see myself in the same situation grabbing for something completely matte, knit and/or wool. I also think the scale of the flowers is very close to the large tweed scale.
post #4747 of 13401

Thanks for the critique! I will definitely try out those suggestions next time.

post #4748 of 13401
i would say the same. shirt and SC are great, tie ans PS a little too shiny for them. nice colors though. same color tie in a flatter texture would be awesome i think.
post #4749 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i would say the same. shirt and SC are great, tie ans PS a little too shiny for them. nice colors though. same color tie in a flatter texture would be awesome i think.

 

Would you say that a flatter silk tie would be appropriate? I could easily have paired this with a wool tie I think, but I'm trying to figure out how to pair silk ties with more casual SCs. As mentioned above, Sugarbutch was the inspiration for this, but I haven't quite been able to get to that level.

post #4750 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Would you say that a flatter silk tie would be appropriate? I could easily have paired this with a wool tie I think, but I'm trying to figure out how to pair silk ties with more casual SCs. As mentioned above, Sugarbutch was the inspiration for this, but I haven't quite been able to get to that level.

yup, i would certainly sat a flatter, more matte silk could do just fine. wool or cashmere is the obvious choice, but you could do it with teh right silk too.
post #4751 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

yup, i would certainly sat a flatter, more matte silk could do just fine. wool or cashmere is the obvious choice, but you could do it with teh right silk too.

+1. A knit could have worked well too.
post #4752 of 13401
post #4753 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post


+1. A knit could have worked well too.

 

A knit or a wool would have been my first choice but I am trying to challenge myself with figuring out a silk option.

post #4754 of 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


yup, i would certainly sat a flatter, more matte silk could do just fine. wool or cashmere is the obvious choice, but you could do it with teh right silk too.

 

Many thanks!

post #4755 of 13401

I'm pretty new to the forum so I have been keeping my toes out of the advanced dressers pond.  But I've been enjoying this topic- my first thought was knit tie along with everyone else:

 

 

But I think a silk tie could look nice too.  Sorry for the low res:

AppleMark

I saw this outfit while in Scotland and snapped a pic on my phone.

 

I'm anxious to try silk with tweed as well.  I hope you find a nice pairing. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread