or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 29

post #421 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

NOBD that is nice but you should not be wearing suede shoes in the summer. Ginger suede is the only possible exception.

Srsly? Suede loafers like these, you say no for summer?

post #422 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

when you grab a suit/jacket with multiple colors, you think "I must find a tie that exactly matches one of those colors." Stop it. Looks garanimally.

Maybe so, but I like it:

post_desk-57.jpgpost_closeupsml-2.jpg

W74GP.jpgDZtNO.jpg
post #423 of 13589
Haha, I haven't thought of a super seiyan in years.
post #424 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

Solaro : (
Cotton (7 oz, IIRC):

Is that a for real Solaro? Or is it one of these?

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2012/07/blue-but-technically-not-solaro.html
post #425 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Well, this is the kind of stuff you want to wear a white shirt with. And it's also the kind of thing that looks best on high-contrast complexions, such as many American Jews. I'm not saying it's a sartorial paradise, I'm just saying, these things have a way of adapting themselves, and keeping just one element and replacing everything else is risky. I think that was kind of the point of Vox's Practical Combinations thread.

the bold is i think where i got tripped up. well put, thanks.

as to the collective look in the culture i was talking about. i think most here would gag if they saw much of it up close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Stitches at 318: absolutely the wrong tie for a white shirt or the wrong shirt for that tie. I will have a thread up on this shorty. If that collar is a BD, the shape is bad, you need some roll. @320, none of those are good. You have my longer comments re: the ties via PM.

thanks, look forward to the thread. yeah, the collar is bad. after the pick i wanted to change, but i was in too big a rush.

thanks for the PM, i will go through it soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix View Post

Lesson from my scholarly schmatte schlepper grandpa: Think Yiddish; dress British.

:laugh, i like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

I'm not going to buy a linen suit, ever.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

No, they never look good after 10 minutes of wear. I know you see the obnoxious wrinkles as character, I see them as wrinkles.

because of this
post #426 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

....
as to the collective look in the culture i was talking about. i think most here would gag if they saw much of it up close. . . .
Aren't you going to dig up my post from the glasses thread?
post #427 of 13589
Apropos all the discussion of Whnay's teal tie and the discussion of whether more than one "pop" of color is too much, I offer the following. It offended many when I posted it a couple of summers ago, so I am putting it behind a spoiler.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
HPf2v.jpgcJ9x2.jpg
post #428 of 13589
Oh dear god that is awful.
post #429 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Is that a for real Solaro? Or is it one of these?
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2012/07/blue-but-technically-not-solaro.html

No, the : ( was meant for real Solaro (thinking of the beige/red Solaro I really dislike). The one from the link resembles mine: also Drapers, but mine is in cotton and it's lighter (in weight).
post #430 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Oh dear god that is awful.

+1. To clarify, I didn't say that many pops of color is guaranteed to work. I'm saying that having one "pop" and trying to make the rest of the outfit just be a background doesn't appeal to me. The goal is to integrate a seemingly garish item into an elegant whole. Here's an attempt at what I'm talking about...I'd say the color of the tie is fairly attention-grabbing, but I don't think it stands out too much, although this whole thing is much louder than what most here would probably consider good taste:

post #431 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

No, the : ( was meant for real Solaro (thinking of the beige/red Solaro I really dislike). The one from the link resembles mine: also Drapers, but mine is in cotton and it's lighter (in weight).

this really surprises me as you're real famous for composing earthtones...
post #432 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

No, the : ( was meant for real Solaro (thinking of the beige/red Solaro I really dislike). The one from the link resembles mine: also Drapers, but mine is in cotton and it's lighter (in weight).
I am a [real] Solaro fan. I posted pics of bits of my first Caraceni suit on the LL somewhere.
post #433 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Aren't you going to dig up my post from the glasses thread?

laugh.gif for the safety of others i'll leave it where those who know can find it.
post #434 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Oh dear god that is awful.
Really, I think the tie is actually not bad. Its pairing it with everything else that makes my head hurt.
post #435 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

+1. To clarify, I didn't say that many pops of color is guaranteed to work. I'm saying that having one "pop" and trying to make the rest of the outfit just be a background doesn't appeal to me. The goal is to integrate a seemingly garish item into an elegant whole. Here's an attempt at what I'm talking about...I'd say the color of the tie is fairly attention-grabbing, but I don't think it stands out too much, although this whole thing is much louder than what most here would probably consider good taste:
As the head of the pop tie collar brigade I fully endorse this photo, wish the shirt was solid blue without phantom stripes....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread