or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 277

post #4141 of 12567
I agree. But the bar has been set. The thread is 277 pages. There is some objective idea of what is and what is not liked. And yet many continue to make the same mistakes.

That said, SF is one of the few places I've seen "taste" be defined so narrowly. Not to say I disagree, but it furthers the idea of what is expected here.
post #4142 of 12567
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

I agree that careful curation is the only defense. But as to unambiguous criteria for good taste, such a thing would be impossible. Then it would no longer be good taste as it wouldn't require any judgement from the wearer.

It isn't objectively quantifiable, of course. You're missing the point: Manton started this thread precisely because he presumably has a very good idea as to what "good taste" means. Frankly, I'm not interested in anyone's opinion in this thread, aside from Manton's. That's not to say that I don't appreciate your opinions in WAYWRN (I occasionally do); just that I come here for Manton's.
post #4143 of 12567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

that is in good taste

+1
post #4144 of 12567
Quote:
Originally Posted by acridsheep View Post

It isn't objectively quantifiable, of course. You're missing the point: Manton started this thread precisely because he presumably has a very good idea as to what "good taste" means. Frankly, I'm not interested in anyone's opinion in this thread, aside from Manton's. That's not to say that I don't appreciate your opinions in WAYWRN (I occasionally do); just that I come here for Manton's.

I understand - I'm certainly not trying to claim I have a monopoly or anything on good taste. And I agree that a huge amount of the value added in this thread comes from Manton. Basically you're saying "good taste" is what Manton likes - which is totally fine. And I think Manton has tried to give some guidance and some rules for what he finds to be in good taste, and has commented extensively. So pretty much all of his comments in this thread and probably in many others too go towards his defining of what is "good taste". I think it's too much to expect him to write it in one post in 5 bullet points or something.
post #4145 of 12567
I have posted a few fits here that I think qualify and a few that I think may work but am looking for feedback on from the people that know what they are doing and post in this thread. If the outfits werent within spitting distance of what is considered "good taste" in this thread, I wouldnt post them.

It shouldnt be that hard to figure out after so many pages. That said, besides a few posters in this thread like GDL, CEP and about 50% of unbel, it is all train wrecks.
post #4146 of 12567
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

I think the reason it doesn't work for me is that you have a kind of mottled, muted palette on the tie and SC in browns and grays, then you've got a really high contrast and geometric pattern on the shirt. To me these things don't go well together.

i hear that. and noted. i still like it, but i do understand what you mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

The prerequisite to this thread is that something is put together with a deeper understanding than simply "this goes with that." A tasteful combination inspires and makes others want to replicate it. When you see something done in good taste, you're almost able to get an idea of what a person is like. It goes far beyond getting dressed. It's a trained eye and a level of experience that few posses.
Don't beat yourself up if you swing and miss. Instead, realize why you're not at the level. God forbid someone listen before they speak; read before they publish.

some of this might be going a bit far, like the getting idea about what a person is, but outside of that, that was very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post

It shouldnt be that hard to figure out after so many pages. That said, besides a few posters in this thread like GDL, CEP and about 50% of unbel, it is all train wrecks.

i think you may be overstating things. there have been train-wrecks, but there have also been a lot of very nice fits here, from more than just a few people, imo.
post #4147 of 12567
To clarify, there definitely were a lot of good fits in this thread back when certain people that had "good taste" were commenting (Manton, Whnay, Foo etc). Now that this has fallen away, there arent many good ones left. A shame because for a while this thread was amongst the best.
post #4148 of 12567
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist View Post

I think this one from Ethan Newton is very tasteful; I especially love the the pleasant interplay between the colours (it was this post that prompted me to finally buy the tie pictured):


Penile tie projections out of the bottom of waistcoats are never in good taste.
post #4149 of 12567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post

To clarify, there definitely were a lot of good fits in this thread back when certain people that had "good taste" were commenting (Manton, Whnay, Foo etc). Now that this has fallen away, there arent many good ones left. A shame because for a while this thread was amongst the best.

im not going to say that the thread was not far better in its inception, and for a while thereafter, and certainly the posters you mentioned have excellent taste. but there are still plenty of people who post here that i think put up consistently solid fits, that are in very good taste.
post #4150 of 12567
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

I didn't mean to be picking on you at all - I'd be interested in hearing what other people's impressions are of camel-colored SCs like the one you have. I'm sure it's a nice coat, but to me they always give the impression of a JAB ad. Vox has a camel DB that looks great, but that's a DB and that's Vox. I don't recall seeing any other particularly great fits with camel SCs, but I could just be blocking them out or have poor judgement in these things.

i think they can be great. here is another example from NYI in waywrn.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

post #4151 of 12567
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Penile tie projections out of the bottom of waistcoats are never in good taste.

Lol... missed that bit.
post #4152 of 12567
Put on my 1000 mile boots and shit kicked my way across LA.
post #4153 of 12567
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

I understand - I'm certainly not trying to claim I have a monopoly or anything on good taste. And I agree that a huge amount of the value added in this thread comes from Manton. Basically you're saying "good taste" is what Manton likes - which is totally fine. And I think Manton has tried to give some guidance and some rules for what he finds to be in good taste, and has commented extensively. So pretty much all of his comments in this thread and probably in many others too go towards his defining of what is "good taste". I think it's too much to expect him to write it in one post in 5 bullet points or something.

Don't get me wrong, the whole premise of this thread is ridiculous, condescending and comically juvenile, for it is one man's totally subjective opinion of what is, and what is not "good taste." Were it more honest it would approach GDL's thread - superior in most every way, with better fits, less noise, and a charmingly arrogant premise. Manton's thread is driven by the same hubris, yet masquerades as something exceedingly more objective.

That said, I remain earnest with my photos.
post #4154 of 12567
Is someone in charge of the thread? If "they" don't think someone has posted something in good taste either say it or delete it. That way
everyone is not wondering who has pissed you off.smile.gif

Sheep you did a better job.^ I was late to the game and you beat me to it. RATS
post #4155 of 12567
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i think they can be great. here is another example from NYI in waywrn. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


This is in no way great.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread