or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 271

post #4051 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist View Post

Unfortunately, I cannot bring myself to wear pink. smile.gif

Pink, lavender, and ecru shirts are wonderful.
post #4052 of 12286

But u have to be secure in your masculinity.  

That, or gay. satisfied.gif

post #4053 of 12286
I realize that it's the modern connotations that matter for most of today, but since we discuss history of clothing often here, know that the association of pink with baby girls is very modern. At least up until the interwar period, pink was more associated with baby boys than baby girls.
post #4054 of 12286

I asked this in the coherent combinations thread, but no replies, so I'll ask here. Seems to be were most of the intelligent clothing discussion is going on.

 

Why do graph checks (or at least my graph checks) look odd with non-worsted wool jackets? Is it just a mismatch in formality (and if so, why are graph checks on the more formal end of the spectrum)? I just know that I have a really hard time getting my graph checks to look good with non-worsted coats and am trying to figure out why.
 

post #4055 of 12286
post #4056 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

I asked this in the coherent combinations thread, but no replies, so I'll ask here. Seems to be were most of the intelligent clothing discussion is going on.

 

Why do graph checks (or at least my graph checks) look odd with non-worsted wool jackets? Is it just a mismatch in formality (and if so, why are graph checks on the more formal end of the spectrum)? I just know that I have a really hard time getting my graph checks to look good with non-worsted coats and am trying to figure out why.
 

 

No great pretension to expertise here Claghorn but my guess is that it has something to do with the thickness of the line in the check and the color combo.  The thinner the lines and fewer the colors the more formal the shirt. The classic rustic line check (as opposed to ginghams or micro or pin solid checks) is the tattersall.  All kinds of fancy checkerboards, madras, plaids and houndstooths sit in between, depending on line thickness and color combos, and the fine single-color graph check sits at the  formal end of the check spectrum. teacha.gif

post #4057 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post

But u have to be secure in your masculinity.  
That, or gay. satisfied.gif

I've heard this many times before but I don't get how one can feel insecure in one's masculinity simply by wearing a certain color.
post #4058 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktitsworth View Post

Pink, lavender, and ecru shirts are wonderful.

+100. Love pink.
post #4059 of 12286

IMHO it has to be the right pink. Very pale and not very saturated. And for ties, better if it's dark and matte...

post #4060 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDiaz View Post

IMHO it has to be the right pink. Very pale and not very saturated. And for ties, better if it's dark and matte...

+1. Light pink for shirts. Come to think of it I will wear one of my 5 pink shirts today :=)
post #4061 of 12286
Pink shirts always remind me of 90's- early 00's investment banking types.
post #4062 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post


I've heard this many times before but I don't get how one can feel insecure in one's masculinity simply by wearing a certain color.

 

... my comment was tongue in cheek   smile.gif    and more a reference to  the same point unbel made-  that pink isn't a masculine color.    A guy who's sensitive to other people's perceptions and insecure in their masculinity isn't likely to wear it.  Or maybe they just don't like it cos it doesn't suit their skin tone, or it's hard to mix n match.  From a quick image search of WAYWRN pink shirts appear rarely-   bout 1 in every 200 fits -  but  stand out in a good way IMO when they do.

 

   icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #4063 of 12286
post #4064 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktitsworth View Post

Pink, lavender, and ecru shirts are wonderful for grannies.

+1
post #4065 of 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


icon_gu_b_slayer[1].giffistbump.gif Possibly try jacket and tie combination with light blue shirt as well?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread