Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:56 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 8:31 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 253post #3781 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:15pmThread Starterpost #3782 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:17pmpost #3783 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:21pmpost #3784 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
Compared to the girl you think absolutely prettiest in the group, the 999 others are relatively ugly. If you could pick one girl for yourself, which would you pick? Personality and everything else being equal, would you ever pick "pretty" over "prettiest?" Absolutely not. It wouldn't matter if you were picking between #1 and #2. The second place girl might be stunningly gorgeous, but she is still uglier than the girl in first place. You will always pick #1.
Not according to game theory.
Does your other half agree?
post #3785 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
A truly wise man knows that it makes no difference what you call an idea or belief. What matters is whether it has merit. What is often called "fact" is just an opinion you were too lazy to investigate. So investigate everything and forget what you feel the impulse to call it.post #3786 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:25pmpost #3787 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:30pmQuote:
I once in the 80s wore a mid-grey nailhead DB to an event with no tie because I had woken up in a bed not my own with a slightly fat girl whose name I could not recall and was hungover enough on a Saturday not to want to put a tie on. I was duly accused of looking like a Mafioso.
Manton is winning this fencing bout, because:
- he is right;
- in a speechwriter v lawyer spat, I go for the speechwriter.
In addition, his earlier reference to the 60s light grey suit/black shoe look perfectly matches my latest summer suit and how it is worn. Despite his disdain for plain socks (I am the reverse and have an irrational dislike for any and all patterned socks).
Somewhere in my thin resume I appear to have a graduate academic qualification in Art History. So I can say with authority that aesthetic preferences are heavily culturally influenced. The last two hundred years of Western/international clothing demonstrate that dark outergarments and white shirt are heavily culturally associated with elegance. QED.
I farking love this thread.post #3788 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:34pm
Earlier in this thread I committed to posting, as best I could, only outfits that were within the "rules" of this thread.
Having apparently sparked the latest iteration of Manton v Mafoofan "did not/did too" with my white shirt/white pocket square the other day, I now commit to poking both Manton and Mafoofan with sartorial sharp sticks as often as possible.post #3789 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:37pmpost #3790 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:42pmpost #3791 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:43pmAre the universality of preferences tied to the reproductive drive a good proxy for aesthetics, generally? Not just the visual arts, but, say, music?
BTW, has anyone done a study on homosexual men across cultures to see if there is a commonality in the men they find attractive?
What about men that straight men think are handsome? I wonder if, in each case, they 1) correlate to what women think and 2) are the same across cultures.post #3792 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:44pmpost #3793 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:47pmpost #3794 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:50pmpost #3795 of 1412112/6/12 at 2:51pm
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 11 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Double Monk Mora 2.0 Black 10D 59 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Double Breasted Style. 1 minute ago
- › The "Actively Discovering 'New' Brands" Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 2016 MLB Season Thread 5 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 6 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Poor Samuelsohn suit alteration? 7 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 10 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...