Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:19 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 9:07 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 7:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 253post #3781 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:15pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3782 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:17pmpost #3783 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:21pmpost #3784 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
Compared to the girl you think absolutely prettiest in the group, the 999 others are relatively ugly. If you could pick one girl for yourself, which would you pick? Personality and everything else being equal, would you ever pick "pretty" over "prettiest?" Absolutely not. It wouldn't matter if you were picking between #1 and #2. The second place girl might be stunningly gorgeous, but she is still uglier than the girl in first place. You will always pick #1.
Not according to game theory.
Does your other half agree?
post #3785 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
A truly wise man knows that it makes no difference what you call an idea or belief. What matters is whether it has merit. What is often called "fact" is just an opinion you were too lazy to investigate. So investigate everything and forget what you feel the impulse to call it.post #3786 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:25pmpost #3787 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:30pmQuote:
I once in the 80s wore a mid-grey nailhead DB to an event with no tie because I had woken up in a bed not my own with a slightly fat girl whose name I could not recall and was hungover enough on a Saturday not to want to put a tie on. I was duly accused of looking like a Mafioso.
Manton is winning this fencing bout, because:
- he is right;
- in a speechwriter v lawyer spat, I go for the speechwriter.
In addition, his earlier reference to the 60s light grey suit/black shoe look perfectly matches my latest summer suit and how it is worn. Despite his disdain for plain socks (I am the reverse and have an irrational dislike for any and all patterned socks).
Somewhere in my thin resume I appear to have a graduate academic qualification in Art History. So I can say with authority that aesthetic preferences are heavily culturally influenced. The last two hundred years of Western/international clothing demonstrate that dark outergarments and white shirt are heavily culturally associated with elegance. QED.
I farking love this thread.post #3788 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:34pm
Earlier in this thread I committed to posting, as best I could, only outfits that were within the "rules" of this thread.
Having apparently sparked the latest iteration of Manton v Mafoofan "did not/did too" with my white shirt/white pocket square the other day, I now commit to poking both Manton and Mafoofan with sartorial sharp sticks as often as possible.post #3789 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:37pmpost #3790 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:42pmpost #3791 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:43pmAre the universality of preferences tied to the reproductive drive a good proxy for aesthetics, generally? Not just the visual arts, but, say, music?
BTW, has anyone done a study on homosexual men across cultures to see if there is a commonality in the men they find attractive?
What about men that straight men think are handsome? I wonder if, in each case, they 1) correlate to what women think and 2) are the same across cultures.post #3792 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:44pmpost #3793 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:47pmpost #3794 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:50pmpost #3795 of 1390812/6/12 at 2:51pm
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 4 seconds ago
- › Site Topics - Part II 6 seconds ago
- › Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 9 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 3 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 7 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 7 minutes ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR... 8 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 9 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 10 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 14 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...