Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 253post #3781 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:15pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3782 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:17pmpost #3783 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:21pmpost #3784 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
Compared to the girl you think absolutely prettiest in the group, the 999 others are relatively ugly. If you could pick one girl for yourself, which would you pick? Personality and everything else being equal, would you ever pick "pretty" over "prettiest?" Absolutely not. It wouldn't matter if you were picking between #1 and #2. The second place girl might be stunningly gorgeous, but she is still uglier than the girl in first place. You will always pick #1.
Not according to game theory.
Does your other half agree?
post #3785 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
A truly wise man knows that it makes no difference what you call an idea or belief. What matters is whether it has merit. What is often called "fact" is just an opinion you were too lazy to investigate. So investigate everything and forget what you feel the impulse to call it.post #3786 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:25pmpost #3787 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:30pmQuote:
I once in the 80s wore a mid-grey nailhead DB to an event with no tie because I had woken up in a bed not my own with a slightly fat girl whose name I could not recall and was hungover enough on a Saturday not to want to put a tie on. I was duly accused of looking like a Mafioso.
Manton is winning this fencing bout, because:
- he is right;
- in a speechwriter v lawyer spat, I go for the speechwriter.
In addition, his earlier reference to the 60s light grey suit/black shoe look perfectly matches my latest summer suit and how it is worn. Despite his disdain for plain socks (I am the reverse and have an irrational dislike for any and all patterned socks).
Somewhere in my thin resume I appear to have a graduate academic qualification in Art History. So I can say with authority that aesthetic preferences are heavily culturally influenced. The last two hundred years of Western/international clothing demonstrate that dark outergarments and white shirt are heavily culturally associated with elegance. QED.
I farking love this thread.post #3788 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:34pm
Earlier in this thread I committed to posting, as best I could, only outfits that were within the "rules" of this thread.
Having apparently sparked the latest iteration of Manton v Mafoofan "did not/did too" with my white shirt/white pocket square the other day, I now commit to poking both Manton and Mafoofan with sartorial sharp sticks as often as possible.post #3789 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:37pmpost #3790 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:42pmpost #3791 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:43pmAre the universality of preferences tied to the reproductive drive a good proxy for aesthetics, generally? Not just the visual arts, but, say, music?
BTW, has anyone done a study on homosexual men across cultures to see if there is a commonality in the men they find attractive?
What about men that straight men think are handsome? I wonder if, in each case, they 1) correlate to what women think and 2) are the same across cultures.post #3792 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:44pmpost #3793 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:47pmpost #3794 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:50pmpost #3795 of 1260212/6/12 at 2:51pm
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › WTB Alden Brooksbrothers cordovan unlined penny loafer (black, #8... 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 8 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 8 minutes ago
- › Cheap Kitchens Chichester 12 minutes ago
- › The Longest Interview Process 12 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 18 minutes ago
- › BNWT Rick Owens ss13 stooges leather jacket IT48 18 minutes ago
- › Brand new YSL slim fit blazer size 46 19 minutes ago
- › BNWT balmain biker jeans fw12 20 minutes ago
- › BNWT Diesel Black Gold Leather Jacket Sz 46/36 $225! 22 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)