Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:38 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 5:41 am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 4:48 am in Classic Menswear
- ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ Last post on Today at 1:38 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 253post #3781 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:15pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3782 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:17pmpost #3783 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:21pmpost #3784 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
Compared to the girl you think absolutely prettiest in the group, the 999 others are relatively ugly. If you could pick one girl for yourself, which would you pick? Personality and everything else being equal, would you ever pick "pretty" over "prettiest?" Absolutely not. It wouldn't matter if you were picking between #1 and #2. The second place girl might be stunningly gorgeous, but she is still uglier than the girl in first place. You will always pick #1.
Not according to game theory.
Does your other half agree?
post #3785 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by mafoofan
A truly wise man knows that it makes no difference what you call an idea or belief. What matters is whether it has merit. What is often called "fact" is just an opinion you were too lazy to investigate. So investigate everything and forget what you feel the impulse to call it.post #3786 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:25pmpost #3787 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:30pmQuote:
I once in the 80s wore a mid-grey nailhead DB to an event with no tie because I had woken up in a bed not my own with a slightly fat girl whose name I could not recall and was hungover enough on a Saturday not to want to put a tie on. I was duly accused of looking like a Mafioso.
Manton is winning this fencing bout, because:
- he is right;
- in a speechwriter v lawyer spat, I go for the speechwriter.
In addition, his earlier reference to the 60s light grey suit/black shoe look perfectly matches my latest summer suit and how it is worn. Despite his disdain for plain socks (I am the reverse and have an irrational dislike for any and all patterned socks).
Somewhere in my thin resume I appear to have a graduate academic qualification in Art History. So I can say with authority that aesthetic preferences are heavily culturally influenced. The last two hundred years of Western/international clothing demonstrate that dark outergarments and white shirt are heavily culturally associated with elegance. QED.
I farking love this thread.post #3788 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:34pm
Earlier in this thread I committed to posting, as best I could, only outfits that were within the "rules" of this thread.
Having apparently sparked the latest iteration of Manton v Mafoofan "did not/did too" with my white shirt/white pocket square the other day, I now commit to poking both Manton and Mafoofan with sartorial sharp sticks as often as possible.post #3789 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:37pmpost #3790 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:42pmpost #3791 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:43pmAre the universality of preferences tied to the reproductive drive a good proxy for aesthetics, generally? Not just the visual arts, but, say, music?
BTW, has anyone done a study on homosexual men across cultures to see if there is a commonality in the men they find attractive?
What about men that straight men think are handsome? I wonder if, in each case, they 1) correlate to what women think and 2) are the same across cultures.post #3792 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:44pmpost #3793 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:47pmpost #3794 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:50pmpost #3795 of 1394912/6/12 at 2:51pm
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication... 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 4 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 5 minutes ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...