Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:00 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 1:49 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 5:35 pm in Classic Menswear
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/10/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 248post #3706 of 1390512/6/12 at 11:54am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3707 of 1390512/6/12 at 11:54amQuote:
Seriously, Foo - aren't you an Associate in IB? How in the world do you have time to punch out paragraphs and paragraphs of this stuff during the work day?post #3708 of 1390512/6/12 at 11:55amQuote:LOL I saw him flash by when I was in London in Sept. I must admit he looked pretty cool and squared away!Originally Posted by RSS
Fred it was the lighting. That is a beautiful suit. Now I'm jealous ... I want one.
In the previous photo I really thought it was purple. I was thinking Boateng. I'm recalling being at Schiphol Airport and hearing "Accra Passenger Boateng. Mr. Ozwald Boateng, please proceed to gate F7 for immediate boarding." All of a sudden a purple flash passed me.post #3709 of 1390512/6/12 at 11:55amThread StarterQuote:When you know you are losing, you alway snark with "blah blah blah" and the like. I do honestly think it is a character defect to be this stubbornly argumentative in a losing, and worthless, cause. You have not only never admitted you might have been wrong about anything. You can't even concede that anyone else may have a point.Originally Posted by mafoofan
I had a tiger mom. The difference is trivial.
But seriously. If "ideal" is possible and is defined as the best of all options, and costs are equal, whether you define your choice as "good" versus "bad" or "ideal" versus "not ideal" is irrelevant. Ultimately you can only pick one option. All others might as well be "bad," as well as "not ideal."post #3710 of 1390512/6/12 at 11:59ampost #3711 of 1390512/6/12 at 12:03pmpost #3712 of 1390512/6/12 at 12:08pmpost #3713 of 1390512/6/12 at 12:09pmpost #3714 of 1390512/6/12 at 12:10pmpost #3715 of 1390512/6/12 at 12:11pmpost #3716 of 1390512/6/12 at 12:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by Manton
When you know you are losing, you alway snark with "blah blah blah" and the like. I do honestly think it is a character defect to be this stubbornly argumentative in a losing, and worthless, cause. You have not only never admitted you might have been wrong about anything. You can't even concede that anyone else may have a point.
Dude! You've typed more words on this subject than I have. I'm not arguing with myself.
Had I posted itemized responses equally long and detailed as either of your long posts, I would have been criticized for being tedious. So I cut to the chase. It has nothing to do with replacing substance with snark because I'm "losing." Honestly, I didn't even realize there was a fight to lose. Talking about clothes is fun to me. Why the hell else are we all here?post #3717 of 1390512/6/12 at 12:12pmThread StarterI’m going to make this very simple. Let’s leave out art and stick with biology, since it’s very close to universal and much less affected by subjectivity.
Physical attraction to members of the opposite sex is something that is hard-wired into around 96-97% of the population. Staying just with males, they are strikingly consistent in what they want from a potential mate. 1,000 men given any number of photographs of women to rate will rank them with amazing consistency. That is the strongest evidence for “objective aesthetics” there is that I know of.
Let’s define “ugly girl”—objectively aesthetically bad—as a 5 or below. Of those 1,000 men, chances are not one will rank such a girl in the top quintile or even top 3rd. Owing to variations in taste, some might be smitten by the occasional ugly girl, but that still doesn’t make her objectively pretty. Similarly, I sometimes see supermodels who do nothing for me but whom I have to concede are objectively pretty and whom I know that the vast majority of those 1,000 men will find pretty. But those models just aren’t to my taste.
The thing in itself is thus both subjective and objective at the same time. It’s subjective because there is no external measure beyond man’s response. The only measure of intrinsically pretty is the response of the crowd, the generality. But it’s also objective because the vast majority of men see it the same way.
It is therefore impossible that something can be objectively aesthetically bad but seen to be such by only one person. There is no other metric for objective aesthetics than what mankind generally finds attractive and unattractive.post #3718 of 1390512/6/12 at 12:12pmQuote:
here's a better shot - definnitely white sq w/ white shirt, but that is a black tie shindig (gets a exemption)
p.s. i know we can't see the sox, but i think they can match in this case as wellpost #3719 of 1390512/6/12 at 12:14pmpost #3720 of 1390512/6/12 at 12:15pm
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 1431 Active Users (375 Members and 1056 Guests)
- › The Suits of Spectre (2015), the latest Bond film 2 minutes ago
- › 125k pull-ups in 2015 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 5 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 8 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~ 8 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 10 minutes ago
- › Do you know, Trapper Joes ? 15 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...