Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:33 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 5/19/16 at 7:25pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 248post #3706 of 1406912/6/12 at 11:54ampost #3707 of 1406912/6/12 at 11:54amQuote:
Seriously, Foo - aren't you an Associate in IB? How in the world do you have time to punch out paragraphs and paragraphs of this stuff during the work day?post #3708 of 1406912/6/12 at 11:55amQuote:LOL I saw him flash by when I was in London in Sept. I must admit he looked pretty cool and squared away!Originally Posted by RSS
Fred it was the lighting. That is a beautiful suit. Now I'm jealous ... I want one.
In the previous photo I really thought it was purple. I was thinking Boateng. I'm recalling being at Schiphol Airport and hearing "Accra Passenger Boateng. Mr. Ozwald Boateng, please proceed to gate F7 for immediate boarding." All of a sudden a purple flash passed me.post #3709 of 1406912/6/12 at 11:55amThread StarterQuote:When you know you are losing, you alway snark with "blah blah blah" and the like. I do honestly think it is a character defect to be this stubbornly argumentative in a losing, and worthless, cause. You have not only never admitted you might have been wrong about anything. You can't even concede that anyone else may have a point.Originally Posted by mafoofan
I had a tiger mom. The difference is trivial.
But seriously. If "ideal" is possible and is defined as the best of all options, and costs are equal, whether you define your choice as "good" versus "bad" or "ideal" versus "not ideal" is irrelevant. Ultimately you can only pick one option. All others might as well be "bad," as well as "not ideal."post #3710 of 1406912/6/12 at 11:59ampost #3711 of 1406912/6/12 at 12:03pmpost #3712 of 1406912/6/12 at 12:08pmpost #3713 of 1406912/6/12 at 12:09pmpost #3714 of 1406912/6/12 at 12:10pmpost #3715 of 1406912/6/12 at 12:11pmpost #3716 of 1406912/6/12 at 12:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by Manton
When you know you are losing, you alway snark with "blah blah blah" and the like. I do honestly think it is a character defect to be this stubbornly argumentative in a losing, and worthless, cause. You have not only never admitted you might have been wrong about anything. You can't even concede that anyone else may have a point.
Dude! You've typed more words on this subject than I have. I'm not arguing with myself.
Had I posted itemized responses equally long and detailed as either of your long posts, I would have been criticized for being tedious. So I cut to the chase. It has nothing to do with replacing substance with snark because I'm "losing." Honestly, I didn't even realize there was a fight to lose. Talking about clothes is fun to me. Why the hell else are we all here?post #3717 of 1406912/6/12 at 12:12pmThread StarterI’m going to make this very simple. Let’s leave out art and stick with biology, since it’s very close to universal and much less affected by subjectivity.
Physical attraction to members of the opposite sex is something that is hard-wired into around 96-97% of the population. Staying just with males, they are strikingly consistent in what they want from a potential mate. 1,000 men given any number of photographs of women to rate will rank them with amazing consistency. That is the strongest evidence for “objective aesthetics” there is that I know of.
Let’s define “ugly girl”—objectively aesthetically bad—as a 5 or below. Of those 1,000 men, chances are not one will rank such a girl in the top quintile or even top 3rd. Owing to variations in taste, some might be smitten by the occasional ugly girl, but that still doesn’t make her objectively pretty. Similarly, I sometimes see supermodels who do nothing for me but whom I have to concede are objectively pretty and whom I know that the vast majority of those 1,000 men will find pretty. But those models just aren’t to my taste.
The thing in itself is thus both subjective and objective at the same time. It’s subjective because there is no external measure beyond man’s response. The only measure of intrinsically pretty is the response of the crowd, the generality. But it’s also objective because the vast majority of men see it the same way.
It is therefore impossible that something can be objectively aesthetically bad but seen to be such by only one person. There is no other metric for objective aesthetics than what mankind generally finds attractive and unattractive.post #3718 of 1406912/6/12 at 12:12pmQuote:
here's a better shot - definnitely white sq w/ white shirt, but that is a black tie shindig (gets a exemption)
p.s. i know we can't see the sox, but i think they can match in this case as wellpost #3719 of 1406912/6/12 at 12:14pmpost #3720 of 1406912/6/12 at 12:15pm
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 883 Active Users (95 Members and 788 Guests)
- › Migrants, Immigrants, Refugees, and Aliens in Euro-Zone 7 seconds ago
- › Epaulet Taylor Trousers size 33 forest green worn once 2 minutes ago
- › THE EUROPEAN THRIFT BUY /SELL / TRADE / WANT THREAD 5 minutes ago
- › Epaulet Taylor Trousers size 33 khaki worn once 6 minutes ago
- › The soft retail market and other possible indicators of an economic... 6 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 9 minutes ago
- › Epaulet Taylor Trousers size 33 BNWT grey hopsack 16 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 21 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 22 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 31 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding