Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:57 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 3:42 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 248post #3706 of 1412112/6/12 at 11:54ampost #3707 of 1412112/6/12 at 11:54amQuote:
Seriously, Foo - aren't you an Associate in IB? How in the world do you have time to punch out paragraphs and paragraphs of this stuff during the work day?post #3708 of 1412112/6/12 at 11:55amQuote:LOL I saw him flash by when I was in London in Sept. I must admit he looked pretty cool and squared away!Originally Posted by RSS
Fred it was the lighting. That is a beautiful suit. Now I'm jealous ... I want one.
In the previous photo I really thought it was purple. I was thinking Boateng. I'm recalling being at Schiphol Airport and hearing "Accra Passenger Boateng. Mr. Ozwald Boateng, please proceed to gate F7 for immediate boarding." All of a sudden a purple flash passed me.post #3709 of 1412112/6/12 at 11:55amThread StarterQuote:When you know you are losing, you alway snark with "blah blah blah" and the like. I do honestly think it is a character defect to be this stubbornly argumentative in a losing, and worthless, cause. You have not only never admitted you might have been wrong about anything. You can't even concede that anyone else may have a point.Originally Posted by mafoofan
I had a tiger mom. The difference is trivial.
But seriously. If "ideal" is possible and is defined as the best of all options, and costs are equal, whether you define your choice as "good" versus "bad" or "ideal" versus "not ideal" is irrelevant. Ultimately you can only pick one option. All others might as well be "bad," as well as "not ideal."post #3710 of 1412112/6/12 at 11:59ampost #3711 of 1412112/6/12 at 12:03pmpost #3712 of 1412112/6/12 at 12:08pmpost #3713 of 1412112/6/12 at 12:09pmpost #3714 of 1412112/6/12 at 12:10pmpost #3715 of 1412112/6/12 at 12:11pmpost #3716 of 1412112/6/12 at 12:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by Manton
When you know you are losing, you alway snark with "blah blah blah" and the like. I do honestly think it is a character defect to be this stubbornly argumentative in a losing, and worthless, cause. You have not only never admitted you might have been wrong about anything. You can't even concede that anyone else may have a point.
Dude! You've typed more words on this subject than I have. I'm not arguing with myself.
Had I posted itemized responses equally long and detailed as either of your long posts, I would have been criticized for being tedious. So I cut to the chase. It has nothing to do with replacing substance with snark because I'm "losing." Honestly, I didn't even realize there was a fight to lose. Talking about clothes is fun to me. Why the hell else are we all here?post #3717 of 1412112/6/12 at 12:12pmThread StarterI’m going to make this very simple. Let’s leave out art and stick with biology, since it’s very close to universal and much less affected by subjectivity.
Physical attraction to members of the opposite sex is something that is hard-wired into around 96-97% of the population. Staying just with males, they are strikingly consistent in what they want from a potential mate. 1,000 men given any number of photographs of women to rate will rank them with amazing consistency. That is the strongest evidence for “objective aesthetics” there is that I know of.
Let’s define “ugly girl”—objectively aesthetically bad—as a 5 or below. Of those 1,000 men, chances are not one will rank such a girl in the top quintile or even top 3rd. Owing to variations in taste, some might be smitten by the occasional ugly girl, but that still doesn’t make her objectively pretty. Similarly, I sometimes see supermodels who do nothing for me but whom I have to concede are objectively pretty and whom I know that the vast majority of those 1,000 men will find pretty. But those models just aren’t to my taste.
The thing in itself is thus both subjective and objective at the same time. It’s subjective because there is no external measure beyond man’s response. The only measure of intrinsically pretty is the response of the crowd, the generality. But it’s also objective because the vast majority of men see it the same way.
It is therefore impossible that something can be objectively aesthetically bad but seen to be such by only one person. There is no other metric for objective aesthetics than what mankind generally finds attractive and unattractive.post #3718 of 1412112/6/12 at 12:12pmQuote:
here's a better shot - definnitely white sq w/ white shirt, but that is a black tie shindig (gets a exemption)
p.s. i know we can't see the sox, but i think they can match in this case as wellpost #3719 of 1412112/6/12 at 12:14pmpost #3720 of 1412112/6/12 at 12:15pm
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 930 Active Users (171 Members and 759 Guests)
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 21 seconds ago
- › FEDELI V-NECK CASHMERE JUMPER 28 seconds ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 1 minute ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 1 minute ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 4 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Fantasy Football 2016 sign up! Ends 8/21 6 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 11 minutes ago
- › Jeeves - Vass shoes and elegant menswear accessories - Official... 15 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...