or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 234

post #3496 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

Foo speaks the truth ... unless looking boring is your objective, I'd avoid matching.

I'm all for avoiding plain matching socks except when you have shoes with a highly distinctive or antiqued finish.To me, the additional pattern or contrasting colors compete. The finish of Lobb Museum calf in brown or some of the antique finish Santonis look best with a solid color sock that matches the pant. (Or a solid matching color with a pin dot)
post #3497 of 12602
There is always an exception ... and even an exception to the exception. devil.gif
post #3498 of 12602
Except when there isn't.
post #3499 of 12602
a7eqe9e8.jpg

As it so happens, my socks are not the same color as my pants.
post #3500 of 12602
How is my sock coordination today? In the interest of full sock matching disclosure, my PS today is cream, my tie is green and my shirt is blue. None of these items are matched to my socks.

Is this coordination in good taste?

post #3501 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

Foo speaks the truth ... unless looking boring is your objective, I'd avoid matching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

I'm all for avoiding plain matching socks except when you have shoes with a highly distinctive or antiqued finish.To me, the additional pattern or contrasting colors compete. The finish of Lobb Museum calf in brown or some of the antique finish Santonis look best with a solid color sock that matches the pant. (Or a solid matching color with a pin dot)

Well, here's the thing: I don't think unmatching socks are unboring. They are just good aesthetic sense. No one will ever be shocked by solid maroon, brown, or navy blue socks under your grey flannel trousers. And they don't "compete" with complex shoe finishes any more than socks that match your trousers.

On the other hand, socks matched to trousers grab attention for all the worst reasons. They're fastidious, neurotic, unimaginative, and geeky. The man who matches his socks to his trousers is either too boring to waste time with or repressing too much violent rage at an overbearing mother to be safe around. In either case, he probably thinks Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are funny. He definitely keeps a calculator with him to figure out tips. He's that guy who holds up the line at the supermarket because he pays with personal checks. He's an asshole and a bore.

Don't be that guy.
post #3502 of 12602
You're exhausting.
post #3503 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

The man who matches his socks to his trousers is either too boring to waste time with or repressing too much violent rage at an overbearing mother to be safe around. In either case, he probably thinks Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are funny. He definitely keeps a calculator with him to figure out tips. He's that guy who holds up the line at the supermarket because he pays with personal checks. He's an asshole and a bore.

Sig worthy.
post #3504 of 12602

I've always gone navy with gray suits and black or dark brown with navy suits. Now I'm thinking of branching out to maroon and maybe a few dark greens. Never though anything was ever wrong with it; just didn't like how it looked.

post #3505 of 12602
I actually think the guy not to be is the one who extrapolates about a person's television, grocery and restaurant habits based on their approach to sock matching.
post #3506 of 12602
No one should care too much about socks. Just don't screw things up with something stupid.
post #3507 of 12602
I missed the last 10 pages, can someone please recap/cliff notes for me, thanks.
post #3508 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I LIKE TO OVER-THINK AND OVERANALYZE THINGS GUYZ!!!!

smile.gif kisses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post

I actually think the guy not to be is the one who extrapolates about a person's television, grocery and restaurant habits based on their approach to sock matching.

or this
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

No one should care too much about socks. Just don't screw things up with something stupid.

or also this.

---
why has no one commented on my excellent and supremely tasteful fit today?
post #3509 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

I missed the last 10 pages, can someone please recap/cliff notes for me, thanks.

foo think thats socks may never be the same color as trousers. some agree others disagree. there have been some lulz and tears. thats about it.
post #3510 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

foo think thats socks may never be the same color as trousers. some agree others disagree. there have been some lulz and tears. thats about it.

tears???? were they delishuz drool.gif when does T4 arrive for the harvesting bounce2.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread