or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 221

post #3301 of 12602
Yes, I'd agree with that -- that's why I said glen plaid suitings are "mostly" gray and sedate. And I almost mentioned fuzziness as a criteria. But my greater point stands, I think.

Personally, I wouldn't wear clear-cut, small-scale brown glen plaid at all.
post #3302 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

Anyone who outwardly refers to themselves as a gentleman is a douche. End of story.

This. Or you're on AAAC. Or both.
post #3303 of 12602

Parker whnay posted a fit a while ago, which to my noob eyes looks very nice, and which is on the surface very similar to aravanel.

 

Parker whnay:

 

700

 

aravanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

I assume Parker's whnay's fit is in good taste? Do I understand the discussion above correctly, that the things that make the fit work (compared to aravenel) are:

- patch pockets

- lighter trousers

- solid tie (what looks like grenadine)?


Edited by sinfjotli - 11/29/12 at 9:41am
post #3304 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Doc, even if it's brown, if a plaid is small scale, really distinc and not fuzzy, the wool is clear cut worsted, it's a suiting. I am thinking off the top of my head of the lovely brown plaid in Lesser tropical, which I would never recommend as a jacket.
Then configure it flap/welt with an invisible picked edge and it's REALLY a suit coat.

So while we are at it, what sorts of colors and patterns would you recommend for an odd jacket? Glen plaid is, clearly, fraught with danger smile.gif Windowpanes I gather you do not like, though I have seen some that I did. Solid greys are, as pointed out above, clearly right out smile.gif

What should I be looking for as I build out my wardrobe?
post #3305 of 12602
I believe that's whnay and not parker, but regardless the points you mentioned above are correct and perhaps the most important is the scale of the checks. whnay's are much larger and therefore more sporty/casual.
post #3306 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

So while we are at it, what sorts of colors and patterns would you recommend for an odd jacket? Glen plaid is, clearly, fraught with danger smile.gif Windowpanes I gather you do not like, though I have seen some that I did. Solid greys are, as pointed out above, clearly right out smile.gif
What should I be looking for as I build out my wardrobe?

You can never go wrong with tweeds. Just check out the link here to get a feel for patterns:

http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH%20PAGE/CLOTH%20GALLERY/index.htm
post #3307 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Then you might be rom burgundy.
Can someone confirm or deny the good taste of my fit today? Kthnx.
As used in this thread, deny.
In normal English usage, there is nothing about it that is in poor taste or that isn't in good taste. It is just not a particularly inspired riff on or careful implementation of classic themes.
post #3308 of 12602
Thread Starter 
re: 3312

-much larger plaid
-better, more saturated colors
-patch pockets
-lighter pants
-no dots on the tie
post #3309 of 12602
Iunno, Dave. The scale of the check appear to be neck and neck.
post #3310 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfjotli View Post

I assume Parker's fit is in good taste? Do I understand the discussion above correctly, that the things that make Parker's fit work (compared to aravenel) are:
- patch pockets
- lighter trousers
- solid tie (what looks like grenadine)?

While I'm feeling contrary, a word on patch pockets: They can be lovely things. SF adores them. But any suggestion that sportcoats must have them is misguided. Get them if you like them. But the question of their formality, in terms of appropriateness or overall good taste, is an academic point that will be appreciated only by online menswear enthusiasts.
post #3311 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post

You can never go wrong with tweeds. Just check out the link here to get a feel for patterns:
http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH%20PAGE/CLOTH%20GALLERY/index.htm

I do love tweeds... Problem is that aside from the basic herringbones, they are hard to find RTW, and I'm not in a place where I can go building a wardrobe full of bespoke SCs frown.gif Will definitely keep my eyes open though.

Really wish Bookster made a less-structured cut; I have long coveted many of their fabrics, but the super structured traditional hacking jacket just isn't what I'm looking for.
post #3312 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Windowpanes I gather you do not like, though I have seen some that I did.

The old Apparel Arts artists share your fondness.
post #3313 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

While I'm feeling contrary, a word on patch pockets: They can be lovely things. SF adores them. But any suggestion that sportcoats must have them is misguided. Get them if you like them. But the question of their formality, in terms of appropriateness or overall good taste, is an academic point that will be appreciated only by online menswear enthusiasts.
You have distilled the meaning of life.
post #3314 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

Iunno, Dave. The scale of the check appear to be neck and neck.

Really? To my eyes whnay's look much bigger especially in the body.
post #3315 of 12602
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post



Trousers are charcoal flannel, shirt light blue. I added a simple folded white pocket square before I ran out the door.
Ignore the mess in the background smile.gif
Suggestions for improvements? I normally wouldn't wear french cuffs with a SC like this, but I have a dearth of solid blue dress shirts at the moment, and my solid blue barrel cuff is dirty.

molto spezzato, si?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread