or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 219

post #3271 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

I should have said "going back on the blocked list".

Watch out guys, we've got a badass over here.
post #3272 of 12603
Yes, I said "where" when I meant "wear." Suck it, Stitchy!
post #3273 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Yes, I said "where" when I meant "wear." Suck it, Stitchy!

laugh.gif
post #3274 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

I should have said "going back on the blocked list".

Had to put him on mine.
post #3275 of 12603
What, exactly, is to be gained by telling someone you're blocking them? It seems doubtful that anyone is going to change their online behavior based upon this information. Do people gain some sort of cunty self-satisfaction by letting others know that they will no longer be reading their posts? If you find it necessary to block someone, why not just do so and be on your way?

I don't understand the point of a block list to begin with. The world is full of people with whom you will disagree, and yet be forced to interact. SF is no different. If you are unable to deal with this on an internet forum, how on earth do you manage in real life?
post #3276 of 12603
Awesome! Welcome back SF.
post #3277 of 12603



Trousers are charcoal flannel, shirt light blue. I added a simple folded white pocket square before I ran out the door.

Ignore the mess in the background smile.gif

Suggestions for improvements? I normally wouldn't wear french cuffs with a SC like this, but I have a dearth of solid blue dress shirts at the moment, and my solid blue barrel cuff is dirty.
Edited by aravenel - 11/29/12 at 6:36am
post #3278 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

LOL at all the rage up in here. I use the blocked list for precisely this reason, and I was joking about stitches being on it. But please, rage on SFers!

Glad are cool, bro. smile.gif

Back to moar tastiness!!

gdl, yes this is a white shirt and odd jacket, please not to go into cardiac arrest. wink.gif

post #3279 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

Eh, this guy disagrees.

It's funny because when I typed that Agnelli was the first exception I thought of.

When I think CBD I think American or British CBD. The culture, mentality and flare of Italians, even the most industrious, leaves them on the periphery of CBD, at least in my mind. While Agnelli is no doubt impeccably dressed and a style icon, I just don't think of him in a traditional business attire sense; that is to say, he was dressing for himself, and not the board. Again, as SB pointed out, titans can make their own rules.
post #3280 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

For the record, anyone with a post count over 100 gets a block. That way I can get to the heart of SF: Picking out interview and wedding suits.

lol8[1].gif
post #3281 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post



Trousers are charcoal flannel, shirt light blue. I added a simple folded white pocket square before I ran out the door.
Ignore the mess in the background smile.gif
Suggestions for improvements? I normally wouldn't wear french cuffs with a SC like this, but I have a dearth of solid blue dress shirts at the moment, and my solid blue barrel cuff is dirty.

This fails the test of good taste--largely on the grounds of confused formality and context. You mention the French cuffs, but really they aren't the issue. They can be worn with odd jackets just fine. The real problem is everything else. Each of your jacket, trousers and tie look like they belong with a suit. Sure, you can argue that the light brown glen plaid of your jacket connotes a casual air, but it is nonetheless a pattern typically reserved for a full suit, albeit a more countrified one. The lack of other casualizing features doesn't help (no patch pockets, no double stitching, etc.). Charcoal odd trousers are odd because the color, again, is far more typical of a city suit. The tie is not as huge an error, but it does lean heavily toward the more business formal side of things and so doesn't improve the situation.

Beyond all that, the colors also don't work because the outfit is too blocked out; there is no visual synergy between any of the three "regions" (shirt/tie, jacket, pants). One easy improvement would be to change the tie for something not blue.
post #3282 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

This fails the test of good taste--largely on the grounds of confused formality and context. You mention the French cuffs, but really they aren't the issue. They can be worn with odd jackets just fine. The real problem is everything else. Each of your jacket, trousers and tie look like they belong with a suit. Sure, you can argue that the light brown glen plaid of your jacket connotes a casual air, but it is nonetheless a pattern typically reserved for a full suit, albeit one with a more countrified air. The lack of other casualizing features doesn't help (no patch pockets, no double stitching, etc.). Charcoal odd trousers are odd because the color, again, is far more typical of a city suit. The tie is not as huge an error, but it does lean heavily toward the more business formal side of things and so doesn't improve the situation.
Beyond all that, the colors also don't work because the outfit is too blocked out; there is no visual synergy between any of the three "regions" (shirt/tie, jacket, pants). One easy improvement would be to change the tie for something not blue.

Fair enough. Would lighter grey trousers have worked better?

What would you suggest that I pair with this jacket to bring it together better?
post #3283 of 12603
Thread Starter 
trousers are definitely too dark. I don't mind the blueness of the tie, I just think the mini dot pattern is too "suity"
post #3284 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

trousers are definitely too dark. I don't mind the blueness of the tie, I just think the mini dot pattern is too "suity"

Thanks. Can definitely see the issue with the mini dots. Would a larger dot pattern have worked better? Or something like a solid navy grenadine?
post #3285 of 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Fair enough. Would lighter grey trousers have worked better?
What would you suggest that I pair with this jacket to bring it together better?

Yes, lighter trousers would help.

Does the jacket have a matching pair of trousers? That would be ideal. I would not wear a glen plaid jacket--particularly a plain, subtle one without an overcheck--on its own. It looks hopelessly orphaned. If you must, you need to add some bolder patterns and more integrated contrast so the outfit doesn't look so flat. You could try a white and light blue butcher stripe shirt, a maroon tie, and a silk or wool pocket square with earthy, autumn colors in it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread